Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It should really be pedestrianised fully but it looks better

https://twitter.com/GraemeMcQ/status/1336296119337414656

Also the best/worst excuse against more room for people I've ever seen. I've seen this prick moaning about pedestrianisation before.

https://twitter.com/FrankOHagan/status/1336388117520146436

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What a complete and utter oblivious arsehole comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Thargor wrote: »
    What a complete and utter oblivious arsehole comment.

Is he not being facetious?

I'm open to correction, but I couldn't see any more "moaning" tweets?

I can't imagine anyone parking there on chance to be honest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I can't imagine anyone parking there on chance to be honest?

There was pay and display/loading bays there I think.

• Advertisement

Traffic chaos in town again, the bloody Greens and their cycle lanes have caused all this!!

https://twitter.com/CiaranLyng/status/1337844870610882563

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If we could just widen that road for another lane, it'd be finally sorted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I'm telling you, when South William St was unofficially pedestrianised last year, traffic flow improved on surrounding streets.

As you can see, all it takes is one gob****e to block the junction of Exchequer St/South William St and the whole area - including George's St - grind to a halt.

Have we ever seen a cyclist block a yellow box...?

I'm on Capel st now. Long traffic jam and parking full on bpth sides of the street. I don't know why anyone would drive to town today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's just about Christmas. There will be more traffic. This is not unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Car restrictions proposed for Sandymount to accommodate new cycle way
    Car restrictions, including traffic barriers, reduced parking, and one-way systems, are proposed for Dublin’s Sandymount village as mitigation measures for the new Strand Road cycle path which is due to come into operation in February.

Dublin City Council has devised plans for the Dublin 4 village to guard against its streets becoming rat runs for motorists once the two-way Strand Road cycle route, which limits traffic on the coastal road to one lane, opens.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/car-restrictions-proposed-for-sandymount-to-accommodate-new-cycle-way-1.4435727?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pat Kenny doing his usual anti-cycling nonsense this morning.

On any nice day it is absolute chaos on Bull Island. It should be interesting to see how this pans out...

https://mobile.twitter.com/DubCityCouncil/status/1339188704120877059

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

On any nice day it is absolute chaos on Bull Island. It should be interesting to see how this pans out...

While I'm not a fan of street clutter, I'm very happy with that development. The footpath is a disaster for wheelchairs, buggies and even general pedestrians whenever it gets busy. Hopefully it helps reduce the traffic on the wooden bridge also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Great to see them making the effort, but really, could they not hire someone, anyone, that has used a bike previously? All those Sheffield stands for bike parking, and most of them are essentially useless thanks to the lack of space between them.

Amirani wrote: »
    While I'm not a fan of street clutter, I'm very happy with that development. The footpath is a disaster for wheelchairs, buggies and even general pedestrians whenever it gets busy. Hopefully it helps reduce the traffic on the wooden bridge also.

I assume people will just park all over the road now and cars wont be able to pass each other and the Garda will have to close it pretty much every weekend. I don't know why people drive over that bridge on a busy day, nutters.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Great to see them making the effort, but really, could they not hire someone, anyone, that has used a bike previously? All those Sheffield stands for bike parking, and most of them are essentially useless thanks to the lack of space between them.

It's kind of hard to tell if they're way too close but yes it doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I wonder, is it just for visual safety reasons that they tend to go for full height bollards rather than something like these?

Also the 20cm inset for the bollards seems a bit wasteful of the space.

I mean, it's an improvement for sure, but jesus DCC really do love to do the bare minimum.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I wonder, is it just for visual safety reasons that they tend to go for full height bollards rather than something like these?

Also the 20cm inset for the bollards seems a bit wasteful of the space.

I mean, it's an improvement for sure, but jesus DCC really do love to do the bare minimum.

They really should be the standard. I'd cover most of roads in the city with those things if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jan/01/removed-london-bike-lane-blocked-by-parked-cars-most-of-the-time-study-kensington-and-chelsea-council

Bike-hostile Kensington and Chelsea council removed a cycle lane after complaints from a small number of people. Since then, the lane where it used to be mostly has people illegally parking in it and congestion for motorists has actually increased.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

To answer the question at the end of that video, yes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That is what we lack in Ireland - enforcement.

I live near Sydney Parade Dart station and Irish Rail have installed ANPR cameras at the level crossing with the intention of catching and prosecuting offenders who drive through on the red light before the barriers descend. Prosecutions to date - zero. Offenders - every day. Also they could enforce the 30 km/hr limit as well but do not.

There is also a no right turn traveling east, just after the LC - and no enforcement of that either. This one is particularly dangerous because a vehicle stops to turn right and waits for a gap in the traffic. Meanwhile the vehicles pile up and stop on the crossing in the yellow box - waiting for a train.

A bit of enforcement would go a long way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That is what we lack in Ireland - enforcement.

A bit of enforcement would go a long way.
    When the gardai had to be paid to enforce the law at the bus gate in College Green, I have no doubt that something like that in Brussels hasn't a hope here :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When the gardai had to be paid to enforce the law at the bus gate in College Green, I have no doubt that something like that in Brussels hasn't a hope here :(

The Gardai are having great success with their Mobility App, and the use of automated cameras might be coming on stream to stretch the reach of the Gardai. They have the 'Go Safe' vans, so all they need are the 'Go Safe' gantries on the motorways, and the 'Go Safe' poles with static cameras in urban areas.

I think the new guy might be into that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/10/paris-approves-plan-to-turn-champs-elysees-into-extraordinary-garden-anne-hidalgo

I wish Anne Hidalgo would mayor us for a while. I wonder how they deal with people in Paris moaning about anything that restricts cars? We can't even build a bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭cgcsb

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/10/paris-approves-plan-to-turn-champs-elysees-into-extraordinary-garden-anne-hidalgo

I wish Anne Hidalgo would mayor us for a while. I wonder how they deal with people in Paris moaning about anything that restricts cars? We can't even build a bus lane.

Why wait until after the 2024 Olympics? Surely that's an ideal time to show off a new centrepiece or the city.

When I first seen the arch as a teenager I remember being disappointed because the surrounding environment was so unpleasant for pedestrians.

The Grangegorman Filtered Permeability scheme was made permanent.
    Didn't see that coming, there'll be uproar from motorists I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Grangegorman Filtered Permeability scheme was made permanent.
    Didn't see that coming, there'll be uproar from motorists I'm sure.

Yes, was sure that'd be scrapped. Great news, perhaps the council is growing a spine when it comes to the car lobby.

Advertisement