Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Another powerful visualization...
    "How 5 people take the place of 120"

https://twitter.com/LCyclable/status/1394354396985692163

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My bike camera is controlled by George soros. Don't tell Gemma.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    My bike camera is controlled by George soros. Don't tell Gemma.

I do not think the Gov are very good at spying on anyone. CJH did not have much success with spying but that was before cycle lanes were invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Are you suggesting that 2018 was his low point, and he's gone higher since?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭cgcsb

These things must make Germany nervous. Their auto industry should start making smaller electric vehicles from bikes to small cars and everything in between. Electric mopeds are standard in China.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is, at first glance, a handy app. you can tag potholes/badly designed infrastructure etc.

https://twitter.com/DubCityCouncil/status/1395316030789009408

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No chance we get anything like that here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

this is, at first glance, a handy app. you can tag potholes/badly designed infrastructure etc.

Are DCC monitoring things that are tagged so they can fix and improve them or is it just a heads up to other cyclists?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't know if they're being monitored, i suspect the main use is knowledge sharing among cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Some good news on the Capel Street front - while the proposal will be going ahead as planned, DCC have agreed to trial full pedestrianisation over a number of weekends during the summer. Hopefully this leads to it being done permanently!

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1395738484527276035?s=19

That's awful - where will the shop owners park now?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It's mad that after those trials in Capel Street happen, and everyone has a wonderful time enjoying the street as a non-car sewer, and business booms, and traffic chaos calamity doesn't ensue in the surrounding streets, and the elderly and disabled do just fine with it all, we will still hear those exact same arguments from the exact same suspects all over again when the conversation about permanent pedestrianisation begins. There's no winning with them unless you just don't listen to them.

Man I love reading the moaners on Twitter when these things are announced

59% of businesses in favour, great to see

E16seB-WQAUH0cE?format=jpg&name=large

Meanwhile on the other side of the Liffey :D

https://twitter.com/dlrcc/status/1395771564348608516?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 33,498 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Man I love reading the moaners on Twitter when these things are announced

Most major cities around the world are looking at implementing it, but as soon as Dublin city centre was mentioned, I heard moaners on LiveLive last week coming out with the rarest situations they could think of as an excuse as to why it shouldn't be done.

"What if someone who is blind or has bad vision has an appt in X street, and has to get dropped 300 metres away at X, they have to walk that far from the taxi".

That was an actual example I heard.

If you want to find reasons NOT to do things, you will always find a endless list of eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It's mad that after those trials in Capel Street happen, and everyone has a wonderful time enjoying the street as a non-car sewer, and business booms, and traffic chaos calamity doesn't ensue in the surrounding streets, and the elderly and disabled do just fine with it all, we will still hear those exact same arguments from the exact same suspects all over again when the conversation about permanent pedestrianisation begins. There's no winning with them unless you just don't listen to them.

As it was ever thus.

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Most major cities around the world are looking at implementing it, but as soon as Dublin city centre was mentioned, I heard moaners on LiveLive last week coming out with the rarest situations they could think of as an excuse as to why it shouldn't be done.

"What if someone who is blind or has bad vision has an appt in X street, and has to get dropped 300 metres away at X, they have to walk that far from the taxi".

That was an actual example I heard.

If you want to find reasons NOT to do things, you will always find a endless list of eventualities.
    Logically more pedestrianisation is empowering the blind to be able to walk around more free of danger. Maybe the blind person would love the independence and sense of freedom offered by that 300m walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've been using it for months. Didn't realise it was only in Beta. It's interesting seeing all my trips mapped out. Hopefully it helps identify popular routes and assists with prioritising infrastructure developments. I've logged plenty of potholes, dodgy protected cycle lanes and kissing gates. Hope somebody benefits!

This is gas given the uproar against any car reduction measures, good enough for them in Galway

https://twitter.com/CloHiggins/status/1396457263599075336

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Lower Liffey Street pedestrianisation to go ahead this summer

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1396760090875731969

About damn time

Some snaps of the newly pedestrianised streets.

https://twitter.com/weareDublinTown/status/1396778718090211332?s=19

I was just on Merrion Row, it's very underwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I was just on Merrion Row, it's very underwhelming

How so

2 or 3 bits of extended footpath, but nothing done on the corners of Ely and Merrion Street which is a nightmare at lunchtime where there's not enough room for people to stand and cars and vans take the corners dangerously

Underwhelming on all fronts to be honest but it's incremental progress and that is to be welcomed.

I note Capel street got a very loud response regarding the scheme's lack of ambition and they'll be trialing a more ambitious version in June so hoping that leads to something better.

In my view the College Green and dame Street pedestrianisation is the silver bullet that'll really change things here. They should also be widening footpaths on dame St all the way from Geore's St to Christchurch with a bus gate at City Hall

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

cgcsb wrote: »
    I note Capel street got a very loud response regarding the scheme's lack of ambition and they'll be trialing a more ambitious version in June so hoping that leads to something better.

Only slightly more ambitious. Looks like it'll be evenings only on Fridays and Saturdays from June 11th. Hopefully that will change.

Advertisement