Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yeah the littering is inexcusable, I don't know what can be done to change the mindset of Irish people to clean up after themselves but all the council is doing for the outdoor summer is allowing bars and restaurants to have outdoor areas without having to pay any charges. The rep from DCC on Claire Byrne earlier said that the working definition of "outdoor summer" means facilitating businesses.

Make money from this litter/resource?
    I know in Germany ya pay for the glass bottles and alu cans at the till and get refunded when ya bring them back. Place is pretty clean as a result, one never finds either in any "regular" bin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yeah the littering is inexcusable, I don't know what can be done to change the mindset of Irish people to clean up after themselves but all the council is doing for the outdoor summer is allowing bars and restaurants to have outdoor areas without having to pay any charges. The rep from DCC on Claire Byrne earlier said that the working definition of "outdoor summer" means facilitating businesses.

Like I said, there are circumstances right now which won't always be the case which should help going forward. Also, I'd say a lot of the complaints which AGS/DCC/Councillors have been receiving have been from people who want to just be outside without spending money so they will likely benefit the most from addressing the issues rather than it punishing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Make money from this litter/resource?
    I know in Germany ya pay for the glass bottles and alu cans at the till and get refunded when ya bring them back. Place is pretty clean as a result, one never finds either in any "regular" bin

At the seafront near me most of the stuff is plastic containers, all kinds of wrappers, soiled pizza boxes etc.
    It would help with cans and bottles but there's all kinds of stuff being thrown on the ground.
    Germans and some other Euro countries have civic pride so it's not really comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It would help with cans and bottles but there's all kinds of stuff being thrown on the ground.
    Germans and some other Euro countries have civic pride so it's not really comparable.

I agree + local authority's there are far superior to what we have here as well, just thinking how much space could be freed up in existing bins from said cans and glass if there was money to be made from them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So now we've another law that will largely go unenforced?

https://twitter.com/transportdublin/status/1390623534796480518

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So now we've another law that will largely go unenforced?

https://twitter.com/transportdublin/status/1390623534796480518

This was already illegal but until today had a 0% enforcement rate. Hopefully from today we'll see change

there has been a car dumped outside my house with flat tires and expired tax for what must be close to a year now. Does anyone know what you can do about this? I used the parking violation facility on DCC and emailed them about it a few times but no one ever responds or does anything.
    It's not that big a deal but why should someone just get to dump something there indefinitely?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

there has been a car dumped outside my house with flat tires and expired tax for what must be close to a year now. Does anyone know what you can do about this? I used the parking violation facility on DCC and emailed them about it a few times but no one ever responds or does anything.
    It's not that big a deal but why should someone just get to dump something there indefinitely?

Have you tried the abandoned vehicle link on this section of the site?

https://dcciservices.dublincity.ie/OA_HTML/ibuhpage.jsp?jtfax=0&jtfay=0&jtfaz=0&jtfaw=n&CRMLIVE=qMx4MATwCJFViaZmVXH4r1gHnL&CRMLIVE_pses=ZG6985AFCB66A11BA04BC993809CA7E4C42CE60D63F9B9D90A58F6764A6469D1D266CDD2C00E7426DA8559CEB12D3CE650009A18FBC4448B70&oas=NPGp3CKkTukGKn6Wyt8_rQ..&jtfm0=_0_0_-1_-1_f_nv_&jtthpg=y&jfn=ZGE188213492824C30A2D8CDE3BDAC53E935F7123C7A2FAF75AEB0E883D9060C276FA72E12979E65B47779D9D87CFB56240E

I'm not sure that link will work so you can do it this way either.

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential > Report it > Abandoned vehicles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are there plates on the car? if there are DCC probably won't touch it.

are there plates on the car? if there are DCC probably won't touch it.

yeah there are plates, I sent a picture to them too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was explicitly told by DCC (15 years ago) that if there were plates on the car, they wouldn't touch it. the conversation then went vaguely in this direction.
    'hmm, where does that leave me so?'
    'well, if there are no plates on the car, we can treat it as an abandoned vehicle and lift it'
    'yeah, but there are plates on the car'
    'I SAID IF THERE ARE NO PLATES ON THE CAR WE CAN LIFT IT'

take the plates off, leave them sitting on the windscreen for several days, and if no one has done anything about it, then try ringing it in again.

It's also parked up on the footpath, is that not enough of a reason to be removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's also parked up on the footpath, is that not enough of a reason to be removed?

Not when DCC's main objective is to avoid actually doing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

God DCC are getting torn to shreds on twitter, have to love to see it. Maybe it will bring about a change of attitude, and maybe less contempt for the citizens who pay for the council's existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I reported one on fixmystreet.ie before and it was removed a couple of months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

I had this issue recently, car still had plates but no valid tax or insurance. Council put a notice on it within a few days and removed the car a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Car sharing for work purposes should be encouraged.

A bit OT, but you are correct. Employee parking should be taxed like any other BIK; that would presumably act as an encouragement for more people to consider carsharing (or indeed ditching the car altogether).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I worked for an employer who would only provide parking spaces to car-sharers or those who required a car for work - by that companies definition*. Some office-bound workers rented their own space at a not inconsiderable sum from the business park operator. This was cost saving greenwashed as environmentalism but it had much the same effect.

*which included me, who generally took the train!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If car parking on public roads is gradually reduced over, say, five years, and parking in those spaces is very strongly enforced (bring back the traffic wardens), then alternative means of getting to work will be needed.

First, people will drive most of the way and find free or cheap parking and then get PT or walk for the rest of the journey. P&R will play a big role if it is put in place in time.

Second, more working from home will become the norm. Not necessarily full time, but even two or three days a week will play a part.

Third, remote hubs where people rent a desk but have secure broad band so they can work in an 'office' environment with the social benefits but without the commuting downside. I think this will become a growth area for many if it works for them. Working from home will not work for all.

But it is the provision of car parking, both public and private, that makes commuting by car possible, so tackle that and PT becomes more attractive. However, it has to be gradual, and matched by the increase and improvement in PT and P&R provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭con___manx1

cgcsb wrote: »
    What an odd post. We're way past that. Almost all commutes are under 15km in Dublin

You must be deluded. The amount of people that work in dublin and live 50 to 100k away is crazy. Travelling from wicklow kildare louth meath every morning. I live 60 k from dublin. There are feck all jobs in my town so most commute for work.

• Advertisement

You must be deluded. The amount of people that work in dublin and live 50 to 100k away is crazy. Travelling from wicklow kildare louth meath every morning. I live 60 k from dublin. There are feck all jobs in my town so most commute for work.

Only about 11% of workers are commuting for an hour or more according to the CSO. it might seem there are a lot of people commuting from your town but clearly it's nothing compared to the number of people commuting within the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭con___manx1

cgcsb wrote: »
    Only about 11% of workers are commuting for an hour or more according to the CSO. it might seem there are a lot of people commuting from your town but clearly it's nothing compared to the number of people commuting within the M50

Yes but that number will increase with the cost of housing in dublin.
    Alot of houses are being bought up by dubliners on the commuter belts at the moment.

I would emigrate or live in the cheapest house in Darndale rather than these mammoth driving commutes, I don't know how people do it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Peregrine wrote: »
    Only slightly more ambitious. Looks like it'll be evenings only on Fridays and Saturdays from June 11th. Hopefully that will change.

It's still evenings only which is a shame.

On the bright side, Parliament Street is also included in the pedestrianisation trial. Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings starting June 11. Six weekends. The top of Capel Street will also be fully pedestrianised from that day.

These side streets will be effectively traffic free:

Parnell St. from Ryders Row to Capel St.
    Little Britain St. from Campbell’s Court to Capel St.
    Mary St. from Jervis Lane Upper to Capel St.
    Mary St. Little from Anglesea Row to Capel St.
    Mary’s Abbey from Aran St. to Capel St.
    Abbey St. from Jervis Lane Upper to Capel St.
    Strand St. Little from Aran St. to Capel St.
    Strand St. from Jervis St. to Capel St.
    Essex Gate from Exchange St. to Parliament St.
    Essex St. East from Sycamore St. to Parliament St.

https://twitter.com/DubCityCouncil/status/1400835543206928390?s=20

If we could get Capel st permanent and south liffey st it'll go a long way towards squeezing out the northside car parks. They're sitting on sites of gold and should be put to better use.

The usual nonsense on that Tweet, people going on about 90 year old grannies and pregnant women. It's so pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yes but that number will increase with the cost of housing in dublin.
    Alot of houses are being bought up by dubliners on the commuter belts at the moment.

Any increase there will be offset by a big increase in remote working.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    A ban specifically on SUVs! It's unenforceable* and would achieve nothing as arseholes would just start driving different vehicles. Sounds like a very basic attempt by the car lobby at deflecting attention on a small element of the overall problem so that the crux of the problem gets overlooked, and it is obviously working.

*how do you define an SUV? Who is going to enforce this ban? Does a Duster count given it is smaller than many cars (personally I'd ban Dusters from everywhere but that is beside the point)?
    We already do things like ban certain size vehicles from being converted/declared as commercial, ban certain size trucks from accessing certain areas, use cameras to automatically read number plates and see what a class a vehicle is in etc etc

It's incredibly trivial to create a definition for SUV based on height of centre of gravity, seats, combination of dimensions etc - NCAP already classifies vehicles as SUVs (well technically, offroader).

It's also incredibly trivial to create a canal cordon of ANPR cameras with signs warning motorists that they are entering a no-SUV zone. London already uses such for congestion charging, as does Oslo for it's congestion toll.

What on Earth makes you think it's unenforceable?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

We already do things like ban certain size vehicles from being converted/declared as commercial, ban certain size trucks from accessing certain areas, use cameras to automatically read number plates and see what a class a vehicle is in etc etc

It's incredibly trivial to create a definition for SUV based on height of centre of gravity, seats, combination of dimensions etc - NCAP already classifies vehicles as SUVs (well technically, offroader).

It's also incredibly trivial to create a canal cordon of ANPR cameras with signs warning motorists that they are entering a no-SUV zone. London already uses such for congestion charging, as does Oslo for it's congestion toll.

As I asked, would a Duster meet the definition of an SUV given its dimensions are similar to many standard cars? Seems pointless defining SUVs and then putting in place a system to punish them crossing particular points when a much broader ban would be easier and more effective. That is beside my main point anyway.

The goal should be less private vehicles in the city, not just targeting a subset of private vehicles. If you can't drive a particular type of vehicle into the city, just drive a type of vehicle that is permitted. If the number of private vehicles in the city remains the same just the makeup of those vehicles changes, than nothing has been achieved.

Focusing the attention on SUVs seems like a great way of the pro car lobby letting the other side have an easy victory to keep them happy, while people get a free pass to drive everywhere for a while longer.

Didn't think I would have to spell it out like that but here we are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A simple regime is one that puts a higher motor tax on vehicles, not just CO, but also weight, and extra for 4 wheel drive. Diesel cars became prime choice because of the low tax.

Advertisement