Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it doesn't need to win hearts and minds, it needs to cut emissions and costs and improve over all efficiency which it will absolutely do.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Is your shift in the depot over for the night?

Unless you happen to live directly at a bus shelter it doesn't improve efficiency in that bus doesn't deliver directly from source to destination. Bikes, scooters, cars, mopeds all trump a bus in this respect.

If you do happen to live at a bus shelter I implore you to please engage with the outreach programs of the Homeless Charities and move as the passengers would like to sit down while waiting for the next bus.

who's shift?

not mine anyway as i don't work in any work place where there is a depot involved.

• Advertisement

it does improve efficiency because the bus is going from end to end quicker and more times per day.

fold up bike to get to the bus or walk, take bus for part of the journey, walk or bike to the exact destination.

very doable in the cities and for those outside, park and ride outside the cities.

that way anyone who absolutely has no option but to use a car can do so with greater efficiency.

I apologise profusely but as the Transport Unions' Apologist in Chief whenever the bus drivers have thrown their rattle out of the pram I just assume you'd come direct from Conygham, Donnybrook or Broadstone.

This might cause a few folks to choose an alternative mode of transport

"The oil market is heading for simultaneously low inventories, low spare capacity and still low investment," Morgan Stanley analysts wrote in a note cited by the Wall Street Journal this week, summing up the situation quite nicely. In this situation, $90 for a barrel of Brent may be just the beginning.

Indeed, the Wall Street consensus seems to be that Brent will reach $100 by the summer... "

no you just wanted to act the you know what, because i have been very clear that i do not work in the transport industry plenty of times on this site, so i am in no doubt you know the score.

i will never be ashamed to appologise for unions doing their job.

Apart from filling up Hire Cars I haven't pumped diesel or petrol in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Moving on, we have another sterling bit of 'not bothered' journalism by the Irish Times

Cars set to retain access to part of Capel Street (irishtimes.com)

It seems that road engineer Joe Kelly recons we must not pedestrianise all of Capel Street because with Liffey Street going pedestrian soon there'll be no direct access route from Arnotts car park to the quays.

Of course it being Dublin City Council and the Irish Times, nobody seems to be capable of asking the question, where is it written down that there must be a direct route between Arnotts and the quays for cars????

Cars could exit Arnotts, go down strand street and turn onto Jervis street, then Parnell street and then go wherever they like. Why do we have to give the owners of private multi storey car parks (which are being converted to different more profitable use anyway) ownership of our public spaces? Do we owe them something or did they not get enough tax breaks in the 90s?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

While I would agree that far too much deference has been paid to the owners of Car Parks in relation to traffic planning, in the context of cities removing public car parking spaces, they can still hold with the excuse (for those that need to hear it) that car parking is provided for by private operators.

The amount of Capel Street being kept for traffic is tiny. Objecting to the scheme on the basis that it should be all or nothing (not saying that this is your view), is making the perfect the enemy of the good. I would be of the view that you take the wins you can get now, and come back later for the rest. In time, as you say, the car park owners will have to re-purpose their buildings anyway, due to reduced demand and potential higher profits for other uses, so the problem will take care of itself.

I'm not saying I've an all or nothing view. Just that there is not sufficient reason for the all not being achieved, the reason being that the car park owners have divine right to quays access. But says who? The IT doesn't even see fit to question when and from where said divine right was bestowed.

Says who? 'senior council engineer Joe Kelly told councillors the section of Capel Street between Strand Street and the quays “has to be kept open” to traffic'. I'm always interested in the interaction between council officials and councillors in these decisions. If they go along with the engineer's advice, will they be "following the advice of the experts" to use a now-common phrase?

Would love to see Joe kellys justification for this 'must'. Its being reported now that both will go ahead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Car parks win every time

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm inclined to take the win here. I always kinda expected the bottom of Capel Street to facilitate some car traffic with the bottom of Liffey Street being pedestrianised too.

This is still massive:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a tough one. they can't just close off access to car parks having granted PP for them and allowed them to operate for years; it's not like the 'will it or won't it increase footfall' argument for retail businesses, if you're simply preventing 'customers' from driving to car parks.

• Advertisement

I presume that they're concerned about possible litigation by Car Park owners, resulting in a large payout by the council, and this is why they bend over backwards for them.

They still have access via Jervis Street. This case semonstrates that they have a right, not only to access but direct access to the quays to be exact. We should be reducing access to the quays incrementally until they are bus only

I agree with you. Get these things done step by step. Rather than go into battle with the car park owners, the better approach is to let them wither away as fewer cars come in. The owners won’t be slow to repurpose when their investment returns start to fall

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Independent councillor Nial Ring said there are nearly as many vehicles - 8,795 - as there are pedestrians - 9,600 - using the street.

He said this plan would involve removing a massive amount of traffic, considering that 65,000 cars in total cross the canals each day.

It was not clear how to cross from the northside to City Hall if this change was carried out.

A) There being as many cars as pedestrians using Capel St is part of the problem (and I don't completely believe that either...)

B) The canal cordon count from 2019 has 46,000 cars (+4,000 taxis)

C) Who the hell is driving to City Hall?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

On point A. If you pedestrianise the street, it is likely a lot more pedestrians will use it. Just look at Grafton street and Henry street. You couldn't get a car done those streets at times with the amount of people on them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Absolutely, I just find it surprising more cars use it than people now considering how bloody slowly they trudge their way through it. Though easy to make the tiny paths seem crowded I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

On point C, I'd guess Cllr Nial Ring?

Re car parks, I noticed recently an application to lop 2 floors off Arnotts car park to replace with apartments. That and the Trinity Street redevelopment indicate a clear direction of travel. A handful of councillors and officials will be the last to see the writing on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

I think it would be preferable to focus on removing on street parking in preference to the car parks. It would do a lot more for opening up the city, making it a nicer destination and freeing up road space for sustainable modes of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I've noticed that things are pretty quiet in terms of making Parliament Street fully pedestrianised. Any more word on this yet?

• Advertisement

there are approx. 100 shops on capel street; if you assumed that every pedestrian on capel street entered one shop (and i'm including a few pubs in that) that'd be an average of each shop getting one customer every 12 minutes. which doesn't seem at all realistic.

also, when does that pedestrian count date from? what days? etc.; without knowing further that could have been taken when shops were closed because of covid!

Advertisement