Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

The sea wall won't be built for at least another 15 years or more.

When was it the city dump? It's been a glass bottle factory since the 1800s. And stability isn't an issue, they aren't just plonking down apartments on what's already there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was used as a dump (not sure if it was the city dump:

"Dublin City operated a landfill, dumping waste in a layer of up to six metres at Ringsend. For 30 years up to its closure in 1978, methane-producing household waste was dumped on the tip across some of the Poolbeg lands."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/arid-20402580.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

An estate in Santry is going to clamp cars who park on the green and on kerbs, and the residents are going mad. There's a meeting with local councillors to see what can be done. Here's an idea, don't park illegally.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/residents-north-dublin-estate-fear-24828686

More on this in the Irish Times

Vehicles parked fully on the road after 6pm and before 9am would not be clamped, it said, but any vehicles “parked, or part parked on a footpath, kerb or grass will be clamped 24/7”.

Maryrose Walsh (25), a special needs primary schoolteacher in Swords who lives in the estate, said the policy had led to “a lot of stress and anxiety” in recent days. “I’m facing going out every morning to school and there being a clamp on my car,” she said.

I wouldn't be happy if Ms Walsh was teaching my kids, if she's not smart enough to park fully on the road and be gone before 9 (which is what time her school likely starts at).

• Advertisement

Especially seeing as some of the kids she teaches are often the worst affected by footpath parking

TBH, I'd love if this type of a policy was rolled out nationwide. Would push a lot more to more sustainable options and lead to much nicer places to live

Hopefully it's the start of a policy change. The articles all seem to complain that the poor drivers are being put out, rather than focusing on how it's illegal to park on footpaths and public greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So a private company actually enforcing the rules that are in place across Dublin but not enforced.

Makes sense, the only part of Dublin City that has a somewhat decent public realm is the area around Grand Canal Dock and its decent because its cleaned, maintained and rules are enforced by a management company. When you turn a corner onto Sir John Rogerson Quay, managed by DCC, you'll probably disappear into the potholes and never be seen again, or fall victim to the chunks of footpath missing, feck all public bins or seating and the lighting barely works either. Our local authority simply does not care about their responsibilities despite having €1bn annual revenue which seems to buy nothing at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife used to work in a section in a local authority which dealt with parking permits. she often got the line 'but my landlord told me when i moved in i could apply to you for parking?'

this was often in cases where the car was registered and insured at an address down the country, tbf (rules were to get a permit outside a house in dublin, the car must be insured at that address)

or a doctor at a hospital insisting it was the duty of the council to provide her with a public parking place outside the hospital; or nuns who insisted that simply by virtue of being nuns that they should be presented with permits; or law students trying to tell them that they had a constitutional right to a parking space.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When you think it through, doubling the fine isn't much given that the offence involves driving dangerously whilst kids are crossing or are about to cross a road. There should be 12 points for it which will lead to a six month ban.

i've asked on the minister's twitter feed how many such fines have been levied in the last five years. i, of course, await the answer with bated breath,

cross-posting this here as some of the themes would be familiar; it's interesting to note that in the second link on the thread below, on the inspector's report, in the 'recommended opinion' section, the inspector does state that the developer will need to provide "a statement describing how the proposed development will contribute to sustainable travel patterns and areduced dependency on the private car."

i don't know if several of the recommendations form a shot across the bows of the developer, but it's an insane place to build a housing estate of that size.

the PP sign is on the entrance to the field behind (i.e. to the east of) cronin's coaches:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4588547,-6.3438987,1400m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There you go, you don't need a metro stop outside everyone's door before you can pedestrianise city centres

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah I thought Germany had excellent bike infra so I'm surprised at that protest

German cities aren't great for cycling lots of big wide high speed roads in urban areas with no cycle lanes or just paint.

I think it probably depends where you are. I've a friend in Germany, and they have a completely segregated bike lane, that even goes through a forest, from their village to the kids school a few kms away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yeah as a kid I made use of dedicated routes over quite long distances. "Greenways" in our current parlance.

As Citizen Six above says, through forests etc between villages and towns. Definitely not available everywhere or between everywhere though: even in our locality some routes were on-road only. But we could make it from school to the swimming pool etc on pretty high-quality segregated routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Should be rolled out across the country. You want to leave your car on a public road, pay for it. You want to park on a public footpath, you're getting towed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What has that got to do with a story about a private car park?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, actually, a lot.

It is the provision of free parking in out of town shopping centres that has killed the city centre businesses. Make parking as expensive in these shopping centres, and going into town gets to be a better choice. Now all you need is good and cheap (free?) PT and life gets put back into the city centre. Make the PT 24 hr and then things will change.

Before you know it, you'll have people heading into city centres to buy fridges and washing machines! 😂

Its good that the parking charge will be more than a Dublin public transport fare. I think it's a lil funny how the paper talks about some staff member who drives from an unnamed village in county meath every day. Is the village clonee? I find it unlikely that in this economy where theres rampant staff shortages, in which most people can pick and choose jobs, that someone would choose to work in retail that was located very far from their home, unless they were in a relatively senior position.

Thankfully the vast majority of staff are local kids in their early 20s who definitely cannot afford to own and operate a car, but of course they don't get a mention in the indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The article on the Liffey Valley parking states people working in the centre on minimum wage won’t be able to afford the parking charges. Are there actually people on minimum wage buying and running a car? Surely they are only an expensive breakdown away from been off the road?

No way min wage employees have their own car. Maybe they're insured on a parents car. Their own insurance, car loan repayments, tax, fuel, repairs, you're talking 10 grand a year, must min wage employees are part time, 10 grand could be their entire annual wage or close to it.

• Advertisement

ah, you'd run a car for cheaper than that. you'd buy a banger for a few k, and fuel/maintenance/insurance would come to maybe 1k each, and a grand or two a year in purchase costs?

Advertisement