Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

I’ll cycle down Grafton Street if it’s quiet. And walk if it’s busy rather than weave around everyone. Same on all pedestrianised streets. It’s not complicated…..it’s just about not being a d1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I didn't say anyone would think cyclists are classed as pedestrians—I said that I think that most people would expect that bicycles could still go on pedestrianised streets.

Or to put it another way—I think most people would say that a pedestrianised street is one that has banned most motor vehicles (except delivery vans, sweepers, council vans, etc etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I think most people would see a pedestrian street as being for pedestrians only, with exceptions for the type of vehicles you listed above.

As another poster said they're seen as big footpaths.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I hadn't realised until Ediz pointed it out for me that LTNs actually make streets more dangerous...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Technically it's the drivers that are the problem in that situation?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm in Berlin at the moment. Great to see how a city should be run for transport. One thing which struck me is there seems to be a much better understanding of shared space. At some junctions we've seen in the city centre, there are no instructions for either motorists or pedestrians on how to navigate them and no one seems fussed. Down to a German sense of self reliance and responsibility, maybe?

Loads of shared scheme scooters scattered about - far too many from what we've seen.

I know. I was being sarcastic - I should have included this maybe 😏

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Maybe it's a Berlin thing. In Munich crossing a small street on a red man with not a car in sight gets you stares of contempt if not a fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's the thing - on pedestrian light controlled junctions, they're obeyed, but there are a lot of not insignificant junctions which have no lights and little signage and everyone just gets along.

E.g. this one (though the image is 14 years old)

83 Friedrichstraße

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hutRDizoest74a2C9

Are German's better at allowing other motorists to merge? It doesn't seem to work that well in Ireland I notice, and cars on the main/busier road will often block other cars trying to merge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Saw this earlier.

'Something needs to be done'... but not sticking down double yellows to restrict parking and allow traffic to flow...

We still have a mentality that you should be allowed to park your car directly outside your house, no matter what.

My family used to live in London, and if they were lucky, they could park outside their house, but if someone else was in the spot they'd have to park on another street and walk the distance. That was just normal.

If a bus can't navigate the narrow road, then move the cars off it.

yeh, Irish drivers (well, Irish city drivers anyway) are particularly ignorant in this regard. Probably because they’re all so angry all the time.

Farcical situation this morning when I was cycling down the Coyningham road into town. The bus lane was backed up about 300-400m from Parkgate Street with stationary cars all wanting to turn left to get up onto the North Circular. The right hand car lane to go straight onto the quays by Heuston was literally empty for that entire distance (I was cycling in it). Buses of course had to sit in the stationary queue of cars in the bus lane, despite the empty lane beside them, by virtue of having to stop at bus stops every now and then.

The reality is that if any car drove to the point that you’re supposed to filter into the bus lane to turn left, no one would let them in. Same with buses.

I wish one day the Gardai would walk down that queue and ticket every single car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The thing that annoys me about Philipsburgh Ave is that most houses do have space which would mean the resident would be allowed to park ther car directly outside the house, no matter what. OK the middle section is very narrow but the houses at either end have space in front for a car off the road.

Yeah, but then again, a lot of people would rather store their car on public property, rather than their own private property.

Another bus making use of a cycle lane...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This is the kind of thing that can be somewhat solved by proper road design however. We've a similar mess down here in Deansgrange, on Kill Lane. Road planners of Ireland do not seem to care very much about their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bollards along the bus lane approaching junctions, you can't enter the bus lane to turn left until after the bollards. + automated camera enforcement on the buses. You drive in the bus lane, the bus takes a photo of your license plate and a fine is automatically sent, maybe penalty points for repeat offenders.

also, get the taxis out of the bus lanes!

Road planners of Ireland do not seem to care very much about their job.

I think it is more that their job traditionally has been to facilitate cars, etc. and everything else is ssecondary and designed as an afterthought. Their job is not to design cycle lanes, bus lanes or anything other than regular traffic lanes and this is why when they try and design anything other than a traffic lane, it's usually crap!

No need for bollards at all. Just allow traffic to cross the bus lane at the junction (assuming the bus lane is empty). There is just no will to do any of this currently. If you look at the stretch of road heading past Dublin's Whitehall church towards town. Despite the bollards, the bus lane still gets clogged up with cars wanting to turn left. The bus lane should be 100% bus lane = all the way from start to finish. Allowing cars to queue in it at junctions just slows down the bus lane reducing the benefits of it simply to placate those who choose to drive. Plus, you then get the selfish (or stupid) drivers who think they can enter the bus lane before the bollards - this should incur double the number of points!

If it was bus lane all the way at that spot in Whitehall, cars would still block it, turning from the next lane over. They just just wouldn't think to leave it clear.

I was in Fairview just yesterday, and an ambulance was held up trying to turn up the Malahide road, due to the amount of cars entering the bus lane way too early.

• Advertisement

Sorry, my points were kind of under the assumption that we would start actually policing bus lane usage along with the aforementioned "automated camera enforcement on the buses" - but were a few decades away from using that kind of technology here!

Yeah, a long way off camera tech being used here alright. It would be a huge revenue generator though, and that's what people seem to thinking speed vans and clampers are there for.

Not much tech needed for a Guard to walk up a bus lane every now and then ticketing everyone. In one trip would probably have ticketed 50+ cars treating the inbound Coyningham Road bus lane as a left filter

Would likely reduce the problem a little if drivers knew they’d a 1 in, say, 10 chance of getting ticketed rather than 1 in a million

Gardai are under staffed, so no one available to ticket those cars, unless the NTA pay for it.

Just give the NTA the power to send people to certain locations with the hi vis on, scan a few license plates and issue fines

I just don’t understand why there is no appetite at all to do the very simple task of clearing bus lanes.

in other news, it’ll be interesting to see the impact of Extinction Rebellion starting to target Dublin roads (as reported in the Sunday Times today), like they’ve been doing in London. It’ll bring Dublin to an utter standstill

I think politicians are afraid that people getting fines will make them unpopular. There is a lot of entitlement in this country you can see that in fairview, 6 Lane road, legal parking all over the place and still cars horsed up on footpaths outside shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭p_haugh

With the Winetavern street Contraflow bus lane now in place, theres no need for the "public transport only" option...

Also, it's only the 69 that still goes along Parliament street now (given the 79/a are now the GS/60 along the quays), and that only passes through once an hour

• Advertisement

We'll only see real change when there's a car ban on Bachelors Walk and City Quay, that's how cars are using the city centre as a through route. That's what's really put the breaks on cars entering the city centre

Advertisement