Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query for History Teachers

• 25-10-2018 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have two students that want to do their Research Study Report on the same topic (which is a relatively obscure/specific topic) and are both pretty adamant about not changing. Would their be any problem with this? I'm fairly confident that there won't be any collaboration between the two.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There shouldn't be an issue, but to be absolutely sure there won't be, they could both take a slightly different tack when examining the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I have two students that want to do their Research Study Report on the same topic (which is a relatively obscure/specific topic) and are both pretty adamant about not changing. Would their be any problem with this? I'm fairly confident that there won't be any collaboration between the two.

Would they be using the same sources?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Haven't a clue about History marking but I know from past experience that once you get 2 similar obscure topics to correct, you can't help but measure them against each other. But I know markers try and be as impartial and unbiased, 'each case on it's on merits' and all that.

Also they might both have access to a project that's floating about from another school or on the internet. I remember I had 2 students who wanted to go their own path with a small research essay topic for the JC, one blatantly said they were going to learn off an essay that their sister had from another school. The other did a revision course so went with the essay they got there. Needless to say they were both the same. It was only when I subsequently corrected for the SEC that I found half the country were doing the same essay... with the exact same errors :pac:

Or else you just have two very diligent and interested students.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ah yes, the old 'I'm doing it myself at home' approach, that results in a fully completed essay/project being brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

Change each of the titles slightly.

You can use broad sources, and say they weren't much use as a written source and outline the strengths and weaknesses in each, then have specific sources - mix them around between students
    I'd have each student using one different source each.

• Advertisement
Advertisement