Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

People have been banned for posting much less. Pass the eye bleach please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That was a great episode. Absolutely fun and definitely character building.

One of the best of season two.

The Borg babies LMAO

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,920 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Remember when VOY had one of those then it just kinda disappeared

True. But Lower Decks have had some great consistency in its story telling.

Also they didn't nerf the Borg or anything as it was a holodeck.

I am right that the number of Borg babies kept increasing right? Lol

I'd buy an Eaglemoss of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My only complaint this week is we didn't get longer in Mariner's mirror simulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just thankful they didn't make it look all Sovereign class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭JayRoc

That was probably the one I enjoyed the most so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

I particularly liked the score of Borg segments. I think they pulled over the music and tone of BOBW for that.

Again I enjoyed myself a lot.

Also…starting to see why there’s going to be a kid’s version of a Trek show. Really can’t show kids this one :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why what's wrong with the Sovereign class? It's a great looking ship.

I would also buy an Eaglemoss ship of the Cerritos just to see what other designs they had before coming to the final design and because its not the worst ship but not the best either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Freeman demanded that they NOT make it all Sovereign like during the refit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course it would be the one time Boimler exceeds and is the absolute boss, nobody notices, his score isn't officially marked and is left scarred by his "success" for the crew's sake. Guy made the Borg look easy; unless it was just cockiness born from knowing it was a simulation.

There have been two major animated series running side by side for the past few weeks, this and Marvel's What If. Now I consider myself a bigger MCU fan then Trekkie but honestly I've been looking forward to Lower Decks far more than What If every week.

Had it been the real thing, he probably would have **** himself.

I think that's possibly where the story's going; Boimler realising he's a good, talented officer who just gets in his own head too much. That if he just stops getting in his own way, he'd be an ace.

He's someone without any pretensions or star power, but puts too much stock in the celebrity of the officer class and their myth as perfect beings ... and OMG he's Tilly. I like her but Man, Tilly written by this shows writers would be so much less a simpering mess.

The one thing I don't get, about this show...

Where are the non-coms?

Trek always had a ridiculous lack of constantly with that. A lot of the time it looked like everybody was at least an ensign.

TOS had yoemen and crewmen and DS9 at least the senior staff were not all high ranks

It is one detail that bugs me a bit. Star Fleet academy graduates assigned bunks in the corridors and made to sonic shower in unisex communal facilities. Cadets I'd understand but at least give ensigns something like 6 person dormers. Harry Kim had personal quarters for crying out loud.

I think it's a tribute to the TOS movie style bunks before someone realised how big ships in Star Trek actually are. Voyager is about the same size as a Nimitz class carrier but one has a crew of less than 200 the other over 3,000, excluding the air wing.

The other possibility is they're taking a leaf out of the Terran Federation from Starship Troopers' book (the showers are definitely a nod to the movie). Service is and should be hard, at least in the beginning, and lower ranks have to earn creature comforts.

If the ensigns sleep in a corridor I'd hate to see where the boot crewmen sleep.

• Advertisement

I'd wonder if it's only the crappier (Cerritos) class ships have the sleepy corridor but classier ships have more creature comforts.

Yeah that seems to be the case. Like the senior officers on the Cerritos were surprised to hear they slept in a hallway so they must have had more comfortable accommodation when they were junior officers. From what I can tell from other shows, it's generally 2 to a quarters at Ensign level with own quarters at Lt. JG and up.

If I'm not mistaken the idea behind the ridiculous amount of officers in TOS was in the 60s the barrier to entry for officers was assumed to be access to higher education and the associated costs, something which wouldn't apply in star Trek so anyone who wanted to be an officer could be.

It sort of worked the opposite way in real life as technical roles in the military got more complicated there are more college educated enlisted personnel.

Yet we had that crewman in Drumhead who didn't go to the academy because the heritage checks would be more intense.

And our favourite non com, Miles

The guy in drumhead didn't want people to find out his family are actually Romulan not Vulcan. It wasn't a class thing if I remember correctly.

I always assumed that DS9 had Lt. Junior grades as department heads and a commander in charge because it was a sh1t posting

To begin with, but then Dominion war happened and everyone pipped up one notch except Dax who was demoted two ranks for dying.

To tie it back to Lower Decks, I can just imagine that Mariner looked up to Jadzia while she was posted in DS9 and was probably friends with her. The way she behaves is a lot like the Trill. She mentioned breaking Worf's bat'leth once, that episode in season one where she's bringing the Klingon general to a Starfleet Base is typical of how Jadzia would behave. She's definitely spent time with Dax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it's best to just ignore the fact that everyone doesn't have their own room on a gigantic starship. There really is very little in the way of realisation of just how big saucer sections allow ships to be.

Ent D reckoned at 826k square metres of floor space. The Cerritos is obviously much smaller but still huge

It does explain why everyone, except Data and Worf, get a room with a window

Yeah but most of that space is needed for turbolift shafts 😛

• Advertisement

The Borg, oh my sweet jesus. That is the best thing I have ever seen!!!

Great episode, the views of other lower decks was a nice contrast.

So I imagine that we are getting a new science officer. I imagine that she will be a Mariner foil? Vulcan Hothead Vs Human Hothead

2nd week in a row where we see that, even with his best efforts failing, Boimler has made quite an impression on the senior bridge crew. They all seem to see "something" in him.

We get an answer to the Packled issue, don't have a clue how that will play out from here.

Was that a Cadet or NCO?

Edit: Cadet it would seem.

Always thought it was a pity that Uncharted film took so long to get going and, at the same time, never considered their own actor for the role. Man looked like Nathan Drake (and, like, obviously had the voice/attitude locked in)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement