Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain recommendations

Options
  • 25-10-2018 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about changing the chain on my hybrid soon. It will be the first time I've tried to do this. From looking at my bike and existing chain, it is an 8 speed (8 cogs on the thing on the back) and the chain is one of those quick/easy join ones where you just squeeze them together.

I'm not quite sure which type of chain to get. I'd like one that has the easy join thing but I don't know if that limits the brand's I can buy. I'm not really hung up on a particular brand and don't know much about them. The main requirements are something decent and I don't mind paying a bit extra for something of better quality. I use the bike almost every day.

I've heard that SRAM chains are ok? I read some reviews of KMC chains and the one I was looking at had decent reviews but it seemed to have some other type of connector, not sure it's the easy join one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Most brands have the easy link these days. 8 speed ones should be re-usable again and again (as opposed to 10 and 11 speed). There's nothing much in it between KMC, Shimano, Sram...

If looking for 'bestest', Wippermann get the nod from the net for 'best chain'...but whether it's worth an extra tenner to put one on your hybrid is up to you.

Advertisement