Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything's easy when you know how

• 25-10-2018 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

I've always enjoyed reading the various logs here on boards. I was very lucky that I discovered boards not long after I started running and I spent hours reading thread after thread, writing down many a little nugget of wisdom to help me on my way.

I wanted to start this log before DCM. I joined the novices thread in June and the wonderful mentors there took me under their wing. They have taught me how to run and I will always be indebted to them.

This week is a mega milestone for me and it just felt like the right time to start this log. Who knows, maybe someone out there will enjoy reading it too.

I started running 2 years ago and it quite literally changed my life. I'd even go as far as to say my very first run changed my life.
    The word saved could also be used here!

I studied ballet for 11 years and martial arts for 7 years so I was always fairly fit. I had always been interested in running but thought it was something athlete's did and I wasn't an athlete.. For a long time I held a secret ambition to take up running but my shyness held me back.

Okay, short version :

One day I went to the PP with the intention of taking a walk. I thought of my yearning to become a runner and I started to run. I don't know why or how I had the courage that day but I did. I ran down to the zoo without stopping. I was out of breath, I had a stitch, my throat hurt but oh my gosh, I will never forget how amazing it felt. My first experience of that lovely runners high and I was hooked! I went back the next day and did the same thing, soon I was running 4 times a week.

My PB’s aren't amazing but with hard work and the right training I know they will improve.

My times are:
    5k: 27:20
    10k: 58:32
    HM : 2:14:33

So that's me. If I survive this taper madness (it's a real thing y’know!) I'll let you know how the big day goes. This has been my first time to follow a training plan and I've loved every second of it. I think back to that day in the park, after I finished my first run. I was in bits, but glowing. I couldn't help but think of my Daddy who had been a runner, a marathoner, and I wondered what he would say to me if he was there.

“Don't ever forget what you just did here. This is only the beginning for you”.

And it was.
    I run DCM in 3 days… Yay!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Lovely intro and happy logging.

It’s been great having you on the Novices thread and I’m glad you got over the shyness at the start and joined in.

Have a great day on Sunday and hopefully will get to meet you before or after or in McGrattans. Your Dad is going to be so proud of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Lovely intro and happy logging.

It’s been great having you on the Novices thread and I’m glad you got over the shyness at the start and joined in.

Have a great day on Sunday and hopefully will get to meet you before or after or in McGrattans. Your Dad is going to be so proud of you.

Thank you Kellygirl. I will definitely pop into Mcgrattans to say hi and a big thank you to you and Ariana and Skyblue. The only reason I got through the training was because of you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck on Sunday! Make sure and write a report. I've taken holidays from work to read all the DCM reports :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck with the log and an even bigger best of luck for Sunday, have a great marathon.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday! Make sure and write a report. I've taken holidays from work to read all the DCM reports :)

Ha, ha! I sure will chickey2.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log and an even bigger best of luck for Sunday, have a great marathon.

Thank you so much OOnegative. You've often given me great advice on the novices thread. I really appreciate it.
    Good luck on Sunday to you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Your opening post is lovely. Best of luck on Sunday! Mostly, enjoy the day:)

Your opening post is lovely. Best of luck on Sunday! Mostly, enjoy the day:)

Thank you Pomplamousse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Welcome to the logs! That's a lovely opening. Good luck on Sunday and as you say yourself, it's only the beginning... :)

eyrie wrote: »
    Welcome to the logs! That's a lovely opening. Good luck on Sunday and as you say yourself, it's only the beginning... :)

Thanks eyrie. Best of luck to you too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Skill and patience in your background with the ballet and martial arts. Good luck with the log and DCM!

Skill and patience in your background with the ballet and martial arts. Good luck with the log and DCM!

Thanks The Black Oil. I'm looking forward to reporting back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Welcome to the logs. I was delighted to see you started a log this morning. We have similar PBs, so I'll be following along with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yaay another logger! I love your origin story, I suspect you'll feel a similar glow after finishing the marathon on Sunday! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck with the log! Looking forward to the report from Sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Lovely intro, Applegirl26, hoping to see you on Sunday, and regularly here thereafter!

juke wrote: »
    Lovely intro, Applegirl26, hoping to see you on Sunday, and regularly here thereafter!

Thanks so much J. Best of luck tomorrow.

Best of luck with the log! Looking forward to the report from Sunday :D

Thank you Wubble Wubble.
    I lurked on your novice thread last year and reading all about Wubbles Wonders inspired me to join up this year. Thank you.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Yaay another logger! I love your origin story, I suspect you'll feel a similar glow after finishing the marathon on Sunday! Best of luck :)

Thanks so much ReeReeG. Looking forward to seeing you and all the gang tomorrow.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Welcome to the logs. I was delighted to see you started a log this morning. We have similar PBs, so I'll be following along with interest.

Thanks Huzzah! We might be near each other at the start tomorrow. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks Huzzah! We might be near each other at the start tomorrow. Best of luck.

Thanks, but I wasn't running; I was on supporting duties. I spotted you in Milltown and gave you a shout out :)

Okay, deep breath, here's my DCM Race Report…

*you might want to grab a cuppa or a biccie cos this is long, sorry*

My official finish time was 4:55:17

I'm putting that out there before I say anything else because at the moment, that's all that's going through my head… screaming through my head….is the time I finished in.

My splits were: 11:36, 11:03, 11:01,10:58, 11:02, 10:43, 11:04, 10:08, 10:15, 10:26, 10:45, 12:00 (pittstop), 10:41

11:03, 10:45, 10:56, 11:31, 11:11, 11:22, 11:03, 11:21, 12:37, 11:36, 11:08, 11:40, 11:48, and 11:03

I started training for DCM last November.

I had signed up as soon as the places became available to the general public. Like everyone who runs a marathon, I had my reasons for doing so. DCM was particularly special as it was Dublin and my first. I knew the training plans would start in June and I was determined to be ready for them.

I kept running all through the winter, utterly determined that I'd be at the level needed in June to undertake the training. One time in March when I was out in the snow, a neighbor asked me was I training for London. I laughed and said no, DCM. Then he laughed and said that's not until October! I just smiled. He must have thought I was nuts.

June finally arrived! The novice thread opened up on boards and on Strava and things quickly became very exciting. The wonderful mentors took me and my DCM buddies under their wing. The training plan was printed out, laminated and stuck up on a kitchen press. I got a second calendar and marked ahead for the next 18 weeks on it what my lsr would be. I placed it in the kitchen where everyone would see it. I was no longer “training to train”. At last, I was training for DCM. Woohoo!

The training was everything I imagined it would be. Finally I had a sense that hey, I'm a runner! Not just someone out plodding around. It was my first time to follow a training plan. I learnt about hill sprints, pace runs and my personal favorite, strides. Not all the runs went well, most did but of course you remember the ones that didn't go as planned. The mentors and my Strava buddies rallied round me, assuring me I could do it. The weeks rolled on. The tiredness set in, my legs ached as my body objected to what I was putting it through. I pushed on. It would be worth it at DCM, I told myself. I promised myself.

October 28th 2018, DCM

Alarm goes off at 0600. I jump up like a kid on Christmas morning. Oh my gosh, this is it! Today I run a marathon. A marathon!

I force down a bagel with peanut butter, half a banana and a small coffee. Then I put on the running outfit I had carefully laid out the day before, complete with bib and a little rainbow heart pin for Georgia. My bag is already packed. I go over my check list. My husband checks it for me too, just in case I miss something. Into the car and we're on our way.

While my husband parks the car, I jump out and head to the Shelbourne where a group of us from boards have agreed to meet up. It's amazing how I'm meeting most of these people for the first time yet I know them. They have become a big part of my life. We've laughed and giggled together. We've swapped stories of pre race nerves and encouraged each other. It's wonderful to finally meet them in person. We eventually break up to go our separate ways. Juke, Strawberry Swan and I are in the same wave so we head off together.

We three girls have the same plan, to set off at the back of wave 3. We are busy chatting and the distraction is great. I don't hear any particular announcement that our wave has started, just see the heads on the horizon start bobbing and knew this was it! I think of my Dad. I'm on my way!

Myself, Juke and Strawberry Swan wish each other the very best and we're off! The girls have pace bands and I'm wondering if I've made my first mistake. I had decided not to wear one. I know I need to run the first 6 miles slow. This will make or break my marathon. I also have times in my head that I hope to hit the halfway point in etc. I didn't wear a pace band for the same reason I didn't want to run with a pacer. My goal time to finish is 4:40. Given my HM time is 2:14 I'm the first to admit that I could be setting myself an unobtainable target here. A voice in my head is telling me that math doesn't add up. Still, I want to challenge myself. I want to see what I can do. Like every good runner I have a plan B. My plan B is to just make it home and cross that line. After all, I have no idea how I'm gonna feel in mile 23,24, 25, 26.

Miles 1-3:

This part of the race is lovely. I'm chatting to the girls, waving to the photographers, high giving the kids. I feel I'm taking it easy, maybe a bit too easy but that's OK.
    I spot my husband around now. He's brought his bike with him so he can meet me at a few spots along the course. I usually go to races alone so it's lovely to see him. The joy and pride on his face as I pass doesn't go unnoticed.

I'm supposed to be going easy for this part. In my head I have the marathon broken up into several milestones. The first one is to get to the Phoenix Park. I feel very excited! The crowds are cheering us on as we move up into Stoneybatter. I'm having a great time. Juke and Strawberry Swan are beside me and they look as happy as I feel. Brilliant.

Miles 4-7:

There's the Park! I'm nearly home! I am home! Sure,my footsteps are all over Chesterfield Avenue! The sun has come out so I peel off my arm warmers and take my first gel at mile 5. I'm trying hard not to speed up with excitement and it's hard. In just a few minutes I will see my babies. My heart is pounding. I look around as I go through a water station for Juke and Strawberry Swan. I can't see them. Oh God! I reassure myself that when I slow up going through Castleknock village, the girls will catch me up. Unfortunately I don't see them again. I didn't feel I was going too fast, in fact my 10k time is a little slower than I would have liked but I tell myself that's good. I've many more miles to go.

Out the Castleknock gates and I can hear the music and cheering coming from the village. I know what to expect as I've stood there with them for the last 2 years cheering on the runners as they passed. Today, it's my turn! I'm slowing my steps and scanning the crowd to my right. Where are they?! The band call out my name! Brilliant! I'm glowing. My eyes still searching the crowd…then…. I
    I see them!

There's my Mom with my five beautiful sons beside her, all cheering and hollering as they spot me too! My Mom is holding up her phone and I know my brother, 3000 miles away is watching me too! Tears sting my eyes. I stop to hug and kiss everyone. They know I cannot stop for long and must keep running. I tell them I love them and start to run. My three oldest sons start running alongside me, on the path behind the crowds. More tears in my eyes. Goddammit I'm a mess! Behind the tears I see myself doing the exact same thing as a kid when my Daddy would pass us in his marathons. I turned my head to look back at my Mom, my beautiful Mom, and her face is crumpled with tears. I sign “I love you” to her. Ah God, I'm in bits!

My boys are still running alongside me telling the whole world “that's our Momma!” sure every second person there knows me. Some knew they'd see me, others get a surprise! It's all good! I get to the corner at Myos and my boys can't follow me anymore. We embrace through a gap in the crowd. More tears. Jesus H Christ, what am I like?! I tell my boys I love them, throw my hands in the air and take the amazing atmosphere in. Running down College Road I meet more friends. Their shout outs set my soul soaring.

Right, next milestone is Crumlin…let's go…

Miles 8-12:

I'm still feeling good. I look at my watch. I feel I'm still on track for a 4:40ish finish. I take a gel at mile 10. I'm starting to feel a bit nauseous. I push the thought from my mind and plow on. The crowds at Chapelizod are amazing. They call out my name and I feel like a superstar. There's a hill coming up. I found it tough going on the training run. How would I find it now with 10 miles on my legs? I slow down but keep running. I speed up on the way down. The mentors would be proud of me!

The crowd had thinned a bit now but suddenly I hear my name being called in a familiar way. It's my friend! She gives me a huge shout out and I throw my hands in the air as I pass them. My heart is glowing. Coming into Dolphins Barn the crowds pick up again. The noise is wonderful. I'm high fiving the kids, thanking everyone who gives me a shout out. I'm feeling good, the nausea hasn't gotten any worse. People are telling me I look strong. Almost halfway now. I spot some portapotties just after a water station and decide to make a stop. I wasn't uncomfortable, I just thought I'd take advantage of it seeing as where I was in the course. The nausea comes back with a bang.

Miles 13-15

The halfway mark will be coming up soon. I'm finding it hard to get back into the rhythm I had before I made a pittstop. I begin to regret my decision to stop. What the hecks wrong with me? I know I've slowed down. Okay, I'm running on a long drag but still, I need to start picking up the pace here. Very soon I'll need to take another gel and I had no idea how I was going to get it down. I have a small bag of skittles in my belt. Maybe I could eat them instead? I think of my Daddy. Tears sting my eyes. Oh God, please don't let me struggle this early on. Jesus, I ran 22 miles in my training. Is it because I stopped at mile 12? I didn't even want to go!

I hear my name being called and I look to see my husband waving and smiling at me. Without thinking, I rush to him, telling him how I feel like I could throw up. The shock on his face tells me I shouldn't be feeling this now, not here. He reassures me I'll be okay and I run on.

I pass the halfway mark and I'm slower than I was supposed to be. I'm now supposed to be starting the fast part of the race. Oh God.

I'm on the Crumlin road now. Again, like the PP, my footsteps are all over these roads. I distract myself from my cramping stomach by recalling the runs I've done there and how I used to dream of the day I'd run DCM. Well, here I am! I smile, the distraction is working. It's just a few miles before/after work, I tell myself. There's the hospital! Milestone #2 down. The crowd is small but very friendly. I hear a loud cheer with my name. I look to see some friends from work waving their hands and cheering me on. They tell me I look great. My stomach has settled a bit. Maybe it's just mind over matter? I thank them and run on.

I've got the Walkinstown roundabout on my mind. I'm glad I covered the course on my training. The miles are passing quickly enough but I've a long way to go yet. My stomach feels the best it has in a while so I decide to take my next gel just before mile 15. Whatever way I squirted it out, it hit the back of my mouth making me gag. I need to get this down, I kept thinking, or I'll hit that wall. I pulled out the emergency skittles and popped one in my mouth...then I discreetly spat it out and went back to struggling with the gel.

Oh my God, I'm in trouble here. I had big problems with tolerating gels on my lsr's in the beginning of my training but I got it sorted out. Or at least I thought I had. I thought of my Dad. I can't finish this marathon without fuel. What am I gonna do? The thoughts of letting my Daddy down was unbearable. I'm only at mile 15. I gave myself a pep talk as I ran. I need to calm down and stop wasting precious energy worrying about what might not happen. Run the mile you're in. C’mon.

Miles 15-18

The crowds are great but I haven't really been paying attention as I was struggling to ingest another gel. I finally get it down. The water with a half zero tablet helps. I hit the Walkinstown roundabout and the crowd is electric. I feel a surge of energy. I feel my Daddy reassuring me that I'll get through this. There's music playing and the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. “I'm still standing”. The song my Dad had told me when he was ill, to listen to, whenever I felt that life was hard or I was struggling. Tears filled my eyes. The crowd are amazing and I'm a little embarrassed in case they spot the emotion on my face. I see a blurry face jump in front of mine. They're trying to get my attention. I blink the tears away. It's my best friend. We hug. They can hear the song too. We're both emotional. They tell me I'm amazing. Am I? I thank them and run on. I move on a short distance when I spot another friend whooping and cheering for me. They've even made a poster for me. Oh my gosh, I am humbled truly by everyone's support.

The miles are passing quick enough but I'm becoming tired. I'm fighting it as best I can. My husband appears again around mile 18. He seems relieved to see how I am, that I'm still running. I tell him I'm tired. I've stopped thinking about a goal time. I just want to make it home. I feel like a fool, I mustn't have trained right. Worst of all, I feel like I've let my mentors down. That thought gnaws at my brain for the rest of the race.

I knew it would be hard but I didn't think I'd struggle this early and that has me worried. My husband tells me it's OK to slow down and even walk for a bit if I need to. His voice is calm and reassuring. His whole presence settles me. He leaves me to cycle on further. I watch his head until he disappears in the distance.

Somewhere around here the 4:30 pacers pass me out. I didn't even know how close they were. In a blink, they were ahead of me. I kept them in sight for about a mile. Then they were gone.

I chat to a guy near me who has started to walk. I feel for him but it's also reassuring that I'm not the only one struggling. We exchange words of encouragement to each other before I leave him.

Miles 19-22

I'm grateful that the miles are passing quickly enough when I feel so tired. I'm starting to feel cold too. I have taken some lucozade and it was delicious. My stomach is still cramping but it's the overwhelming tiredness that's getting to me. I wonder what state I'd be in if I hadn't followed a plan. I'm so glad I ran the route on my training because I know what's ahead, what turn etc. I can't imagine feeling this weak with miles to go and running an unfamiliar route.

Around this time I start to walk for a few seconds. It breaks my heart but I'm so tired and so cold. I take my last gel at mile 20. My head tells me that if I keep running I will collapse but if I take the odd little walk break I might get through this. The crowd are amazing. They offer every type of jelly to me. My stomach turns at the thoughts of it. I keep thinking I'd love a banana! A banana would save me now. Believe it or not I never even thought of asking my husband to get me one!

My husband has maintained a constant vigil by my side since mile 18 or so. He cycles beside me when he can, encouraging me before racing off to wait for me at a tricky bit. I think of my Dad. What would he say to me? What got him through tough spots? I know he found his first marathon very tough and on his second, he knocked over 30 minutes off his time.

Heartbreak Hill is coming up. I walk up like everyone around me. I think of how on my 22 training run I ran up it not a bother. Look at the state of me now! I think of my mentors and feel ashamed that I'm struggling. They trained me better than this!

I think of my Dad again. He seems very far away now. In my mind I get angry. Jesus Dad, I need you. Whisper something in my ear, you could send me a sign that you're beside me. I'm here, dying on my feet, trying to get up this hill and you're nowhere near me!

…and then I felt him say “look up, I'm about 20 feet in front of you.” I raised my head and saw my husband waving madly, smiling, cheering me up the hill. He was about 20 feet in front of me. More tears. I waved back with a smile and started running again. My husband cheered me when I got to the top.

In my tiredness I think I've passed a lucozade station. My shoes are sticking to the ground and it makes me laugh. I ask someone did I miss the lucozade. I'm not sure but someone hands me a cup and I drink it with glee. I might just get through this.

Miles 23-25

I'm running for as long as I can. I know I will need to stop again but I'm fighting it. On the Stillorgan road I see my brother in law and sister in law. They are chatting with my husband. They give me a big cheer. It's brilliant and gives me a boost for another while. Soon enough I feel tired again. I don't know how the 4:40 pacers haven't caught up with me. I brave a look behind me, no sign of them yet.

The crowds are amazing but I'm so tired I hardly hear them. They call my name and I can barely say thank you but I smile. My husband is still cycling beside me. I tell him I'm never running again. He rolls his eyes with a reassuring smile and says you'll be back out tomorrow.

I feel so bad now. I'm on the home straight. I should be euphoric. I'm in bits! I stop to walk for a moment. I'm so cold. I notice a man in the crowd is talking to me. He seems concerned. He has a bottle of coke in his hand and he's holding it out for me. You need to take this, I hear him say. I raise my hand to take the bottle and its shaking. Oh man, I'm in bad shape. I take a sip. It's delicious. At his insistence I take another. He wants me to take the bottle with me. I think of the other runners coming along after me who will need it like I did and I tell him to keep the bottle for them. He smiles and touches my cheek by way of understanding. He tells me I'm almost home and not to stop. I thank him and start running again.

I vow not to stop anymore. I feel a little surge of energy as I move on. Then I feel a whoosh of air come up beside me as the 4:40 pacers pass me out. I dig deep and try to hang on but I can't do it. I last a few minutes only. I started at the back of wave 3. Even in my confused state I know that my time sucks. More tears flood my eyes. I think of my training. I felt I worked hard. I gave it everything I had and only missed one run and that was on the instructions of my doctor. How could I have messed today up so bad?

Mile 26 finally!

I guess the coke did the trick. I kept running. The crowd were incredible. They kept shouting out what distance was left. I saw the mile 26 sign like it was a beautiful dream. I kissed it with my hand as I passed. I saw the blue finish sign in the distance and felt like I could cry. I didn't though. I put my energy into keeping my legs running. I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna finish this marathon! My time sucks but I'm gonna finish this thing!

Then I saw the blue carpet. The blue carpet! How many times had I dreamt of this moment? 10, 50,100? I turned to look back at my husband who had pulled in a little further back and was watching me with the biggest smile on his face.

Oh my God, this was it. A runner in front of me was waving the American flag. It was too perfect. I thought of my Dad. With every scrap of energy I had left, I threw my arms in the air and smiled the whole way down to the finish.

I crossed the line in disbelief that I had done it, finally. My medal was put around my neck. It was all a blur. A lovely blur. I thanked the volunteer and kissed my medal. I was handed my DCM top and put it on to keep warm more than anything else! I made my way to collect my bag. I wasn't feeling good at all. I could barely stand and I was so cold my teeth chattered. I couldn't think of my bib number to get my bag. The lady had to examine the bib on my top underneath my DCM top to get the number. She asked a volunteer beside her to get a medic but they couldn't find one. I needed to sit so I reassured them I'd be OK and left to find a step to sit on. I called my husband barely able to speak, but he told me he wasn't allowed in where I was. Mmm OK… I was on my own here.

I sat down on a step and rested for a moment. I was so tired and so cold. A kind runner approached me asking was I alright. I nodded. He said I didn't look OK. He looked about for a medic too but couldn't see one. Again, I reassured him I'd be OK and he went on his way but looked unhappy doing so.
    Somehow my numb fingers opened the knot on my bag and I could get at my supplies. I took out my tinfoil blanket, my warm clothes, my hat, my gloves. I ate some chocolate. Soon I felt strong enough to stand up and I could go meet my husband. I told him I needed hot fluids so he got me a tea and I began to thaw.

I was very disappointed with my time going over 4:45 but hey I got there in the end. It was my first marathon. I learnt a lot out there. It was still an amazing day.

Ps: Yo Dad, I did it!

Nothing to be ashamed of at all. You’re made of very tough stuff. You gritted it out when feeling unwell and when many wouldn’t have. You’re a great role model for your five boys. You’re a marathoner. Congratulations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

WOW!  you should in no way be disappointed in that run, you did it! what an achievement, I bet your Dad is incredibly proud of you.
    You completed the DCM that is phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congratulations, that's a brilliant run and report, what a way to do your first marathon! And thank you for your kind words earlier on the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Read that report getting ready for work and didn't have time to post then, but it had me so emotional. You really went through every possible feeling and emotion out there, but carried on regardless. That's just incredible, you should be so so proud of yourself, as all of us from the Novice group are certainly proud of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I read this on the novice's thread and replied there before I spotted it here so I won't repeat what I said, but to summarise: YAY YOU!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Not a dry eye in the house after that one. Great report, well done marathoner! You were so dedicated in training, it was inspiring. I’d have gone stir crazy running around the same building in loops to get a run in before work. Just the beginning of your running journey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was early for work this morning and read your report in my car. What a read, I was welling up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Applegirl, super report, from the heart.

What a struggle, well done for putting up such a huge fight. Love that your husband followed you around - another hero.

Now - about that 'never running again...' :pac:

Advertisement