Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything's easy when you know how

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Week 7 🗽

MONDAY FEBRUARY 17: Day Off

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 18
    Regular Run 7 miles
    Time: 1:20:25
    Pace: 11:29
    Perceived effort: 4.5/10
    Elevation Gain: 157.5 ft

Strava Notes:
    Week 7 🗽🇺🇸
    Split #1: 1 mi 11:55 (Elev Change -22 ft)
    Split #2: 1 mi 11:52 (Elev Change -11 ft)
    Split #3: 1 mi 11:32
    Split #4: 1 mi 11:28 (Elev Change -47 ft)
    Split #5: 1 mi 11:33 (Elev Change 51 ft)
    Split #6: 1 mi 11:10 (Elev Change 12 ft)
    Split #7: 1 mi 10:45 (Elev Change 29 ft)

Coach says I'm doing well. I feel exhausted but I'll take the compliment 👍

WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 19
    Long Run 13 miles
    Time: 2:37:40
    Pace: 12:07
    Perceived effort: 6/10
    Elevation Gain: 121.4 ft

Split #1: 1 mi 12:33
    Split #2: 1 mi 12:20 (Elev Change 23 ft)
    Split #3: 1 mi 12:28
    Split #4: 1 mi 12:30
    Split #5: 1 mi 12:17
    Split #6: 1 mi 12:14
    Split #7: 1 mi 12:12
    Split #8: 1 mi 12:02 (Elev Change 12 ft)
    Split #9: 1 mi 12:05
    Split #10: 1 mi 12:11
    Split #11: 1 mi 11:44
    Split #12: 1 mi 11:45 (Elev Change -12 ft)
    Split #13: 1 mi 11:10 (Elev Change -12 ft)

I keep this run within easy range until the last few miles. I'm tired and freaking paranoid about getting injured. Coach says I can stay conservative until the last few miles. Just make sure I run progressively and finish with a hard effort but not killing myself :rolleyes: I do my best.

I munch a few bites of my granola bar at mile 5 and mile 8/9. I don't carry water and I'm feeling fairlydehydrated and a bit weak by the time I finish. I get home and don't feel so good. I call my husband as I sit down on the stairs. He knows the drill all too well by now. He gets me a big glass of 7up and I practically inhale it. I follow it with around a litre of water with an electrolyte tablet added. I feel much better after that.

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 20
    Day Off

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 21

9 miles AYF / Hills
    Time: 1:47:46
    Pace: 11:58
    Perceived effort: 3/10
    Elevation Gain: 403.5 ft

Split #1: 1 mi 12:05 (Elev Change -17 ft)
    Split #2: 1 mi 12:17 (Elev Change -33 ft)
    Split #3: 1 mi 12:17 (Elev Change -11 ft)
    Split #4: 1 mi 11:47 (Elev Change -32 ft)
    Split #5: 1 mi 12:16 (Elev Change 50 ft)
    Split #6: 1 mi 11:59 (Elev Change -18 ft)
    Split #7: 1 mi 11:44 (Elev Change 28 ft)
    Split #8: 1 mi 11:51 (Elev Change 20 ft)
    Split #9: 1 mi 11:28

Coach says it's just a progressive AYF run today with nothing special in it -- I gauge the intensity today. These are the no-frills runs that get you better and make you faster. Too often runners focus on the flashy workouts and neglect the AYF runs like today. "Ask your legs what the speed should be -- they are usually right!"

I also got a little talking to about hydration :o

I want to cover some hills so I figure today is the day. I've to run 9 miles. I head to the PP before night falls, and run 3 loops around the Furry Glen. I'm taking it easy but this run still makes me feel so good. I remember when I started running and these roads would knock me for six. Today it puts a little spring in my step. I really enjoy this run. :)

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 22
    Day Off

SUNDAY FEBRUARY 23

Regular Run 8 miles
    Time: 1:32:53
    Pace: 11:36
    Perceived effort: 5.5/10
    Elevation Gain: 193.5 ft

Strava Notes:
    Taper time baby!!! Yeah!!! 😛🤙😀🗽🇺🇸 🇮🇪
    Split #1: 1 mi 11:50 (Elev Change -26 ft)
    Split #2: 1 mi 11:38 (Elev Change -23 ft)
    Split #3: 1 mi 11:40 (Elev Change -17 ft)
    Split #4: 1 mi 11:33 (Elev Change -58 ft)
    Split #5: 1 mi 11:48 (Elev Change 15 ft)
    Split #6: 1 mi 11:41 (Elev Change 44 ft)
    Split #7: 1 mi 11:32 (Elev Change 16 ft)
    Split #8: 1 mi 11:09 (Elev Change 22 ft)

My glow from Friday is gone. I'm back to finding even the regular run pace tiring. I tell myself it's just the cumulative tiredness. Coach says if you stress your body too much, then it cannot recover. So in this week of peak mileage, the increased volume of these maintenance runs is certainly a stress on your system (don't I know it!) and that is why you want to try to stay within your pace range.

Total mileage for the week: 37 miles

I have made it to the taper! 🤪

I'll be honest, I'm amazed I'm still in one piece! I didn't feel this wrecked when I was training for Manchester and I got injured then. I have to be very sensible on this taper, I can't mess up now. I still take my supplements and I had added iron into the mix a few weeks back. I'm making a big effort to get more rest too but that's easier said than done most times. I do my foam rolling nearly every evening. I won't let any of that slide.

When the runger hit hard around week 3 I was very good and just munched rice cakes with a scraping of peanut butter. My DCM novice buddies also told me how to mix yogurt ,fruit and porridge together for a post run snack. I've been living off that too :o when I completed the peak volume week I allowed myself a treat of egg and chips. It wasn't a patch on the one my beloved Nana would have made for me but it was well tasty. Back on the rice cakes and fruit slices now....

Later!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Don't be too afraid to get the calories into you in you are hungry/tired - you need to feed the muscles & replace the glycogen!!

Man cannot live on ricecakes alone :)

Week 8 ��☘️

MONDAY FEB 24

Easy Run 6 miles
    Time: 1:12:35
    Pace: 12:05
    Perceived effort: 4/10
    Elevation Gain: 65.6 ft

Strava Notes:
    Week 8 ��
    16 more sleeps ������
    Split #1: 1 mi 12:23 (Elev Change 12 ft)
    Split #2: 1 mi 12:17 (Elev Change 20 ft)
    Split #3: 1 mi 12:23 (Elev Change -14 ft)
    Split #4: 1 mi 12:01
    Split #5: 1 mi 11:50
    Split #6: 1 mi 11:38

Week 8 already. How did that happen so soon? It's time to start planning the morning of the race. It will be cold and dark when I and 20,000 others head to Prospect Park. I will need to wear several layers to keep warm while I wait. I'm told I can get a warming blanket at the expo and to make sure I do and use it.

TUESDAY FEB 25

Day Off

WEDNESDAY FEB 26

Long Run 8 miles
    Time: 1:37:10
    Pace: 12:08
    Perceived effort: 5/10
    Elevation Gain: 275.6 ft

Split #1: 1 mi 12:32 (Elev Change 18 ft)
    Split #2: 1 mi 12:17 (Elev Change 20 ft)
    Split #3: 1 mi 12:25
    Split #4: 1 mi 12:32 (Elev Change 33 ft)
    Split #5: 1 mi 11:56 (Elev Change -22 ft)
    Split #6: 1 mi 11:58 (Elev Change -12 ft)
    Split #7: 1 mi 11:52
    Split #8: 1 mi 11:32

I'm told to run some of this run on rolling hills. It's dark by the time I get to run so I'm very limited. I end up running back and forth a few times across a local bridge. Coach says to pretend I'm on the Manhattan Bridge and I'm running into the city. What am I thinking of? I'm also to reflect on how I will feel when I finish the race. "Put yourself in the moment. Take a deep breath. Smell the air. You did it. What are you most proud of?"

It's hard not to feel excited :o

THURSDAY FEB 27

Day Off

Coach says to spend the time making sure my travel arrangements are all sorted. They sure are :)

FRIDAY FEB 28

Another day off, due to family celebrations

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 29

Fartlek - 8 miles
    Warmup: 2 miles
    Fartlek: 22 minutes
    60 seconds hard (about 9:44 mile pace) followed by 60 second easy
    Half Marathon Goal Pace: 1 mile at half marathon goal pace (10:10-10:22)
    Warmdown: 3 miles at relaxed pace

Split #1: 1 mi 11:55
    Split #2: 1 mi 11:18 (Elev Change -20 ft)
    Split #3: 1.01 mi 10:40 (Elev Change -11 ft)
    Split #4: 1 mi 10:34 (Elev Change -34 ft)
    Split #5: 0.99 mi 10:59 (Elev Change 54 ft)
    Split #6: 1 mi 10:48 (Elev Change -15 ft)
    Split #7: 1 mi 10:17 (Elev Change 33 ft)
    Split #8: 1 mi 11:26
    Split #9: 1 mi 11:34
    Split #10: 1 mi 11:42 (Elev Change 53 ft)

So I messed up on this run. I programmed my watch, checked it a hundred times and somehow I ended up running 10 freaking miles instead of 8 :(

Coach says this will be a fun workout for me. It wasn't! :o "don't worry about the exact speed; just listen to your body, it should be about a perceived effort of about 7-8 out of 10-and at the end of the 60 seconds, you should be breathing hard and welcoming the 60-second recovery" . Well at least the last part was true I guess.... :pac:.

"Fartleks are great for practicing hill work because you are focusing on effort and not pace. During the last portion of your race in Central Park, you will be focusing on effort -- practice staying strong on hills and recovering on the downhills".

I was to run this one on rolling hills to simulate Central Park. So I headed to the Furry Glen and did, I think, 3 loops there for the fartlek. Before I left home I had a feeling this one would be tough. I had asked coach am I not on a taper? Am I supposed to be taking it a bit easier? Eh no. That was something else I got wrong. Taper is 10-14 days and we reduce mileage not intensity. :eek:

I carried some swedish fish for energy at the end and I stashed a drink in my usual spot. While I was running the fast bit I wished I had my drink on me... I think I programmed and ran the Fartlek bit twice. In fairness coach had said to set my watch on a 60 second continuous countdown... All I remember is shoving the candy in my gob before it was over cos I was ,well, kinda tired :o :pac:

All things considered, I think I did ok. The only times I was outside my paces was when I was running up the top of that damn hill again trying to keep at 9:45 . That's faster than my HM pace for crying out loud.

SUNDAY MAR 01

Regular Run AYF 6 miles
    Time: 1:09:51
    Pace: 11:38
    Perceived effort: 4.5/10
    Elevation Gain: 157.5 ft

Split #1: 1 mi 11:42 (Elev Change -23 ft)
    Split #2: 1 mi 11:39 (Elev Change -21 ft)
    Split #3: 1 mi 11:45 (Elev Change -14 ft)
    Split #4: 1 mi 11:50 (Elev Change 34 ft)
    Split #5: 1 mi 11:37 (Elev Change 34 ft)
    Split #6: 1 mi 10:59

I would have loved another day off but a plan is a plan. I did knock 2 miles off the intended run though to make up for the previous day.

Total mileage for the week: 30.1 miles

I'm sorry for being so moany. I'm just finding this training is kicking my butt. When I trained for DCM and Manchester I would hear people say they hated the training but loved the race itself. I thought I was strange as I loved the training but found the races quite hard. I'm hoping this time it may be different: the training was hard but I enjoy the race?

My homework for the next week now is to rest up while keeping my legs ticking over. I'll be no good to anyone if I'm exhausted at the start line.

This time next week I'll be getting ready to fly out :)

Later! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

A great weeks training L-well done.

I feel exactly the same...a great marathon trainer, a crap marathoner racer....hopefully you change that in NYC!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Probably go through 14 van loads of rice cakes a year myself. :pac:

Prospect Park gets a look in here 8:50.

Also, Anna from that did channel did the NY full for children with cancer. It's a tough video. :oLink.

• Advertisement

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    A great weeks training L-well done.

I feel exactly the same...a great marathon trainer, a crap marathoner racer....hopefully you change that in NYC!

Thank you F.

For what it's worth I think your marathon times are incredible but I understand that you were aiming for something faster. Your day will come, and it's very soon ;)

Probably go through 14 van loads of rice cakes a year myself. :pac:

Prospect Park gets a look in here 8:50.

Also, Anna from that did channel did the NY full for children with cancer. It's a tough video. :oLink.

Thank you TBO. Great link :)

Yup, oncology, especially in kids is rough. I work in pediatrics and each time I step on the oncology ward I take a deep breath and I feel like I don't exhale until I'm leaving the ward. The look of fear in the parents eyes in gut wrenching.

Don't be too afraid to get the calories into you in you are hungry/tired - you need to feed the muscles & replace the glycogen!!

Man cannot live on ricecakes alone :)

Sorry AMK, I had meant to reply to this earlier :o
    You're absolutely right about needing to feed the muscles. I have always struggled with fueling as I constantly watch my diet.
    For my training for DCM later this year I'm considering going to a nutritionist and asking them to devise a meal plan for me so I can fuel properly and not put on weight.

Just found out my race is cancelled. Very upset. First world problem and all that but still very upset.

It seems like 6 months since I last wrote here. I hope you all are safe and getting through these days as best you can.

Well, you know my race was cancelled, just a few hours before I was due to leave for the airport. I knew there was a chance of that happening but I never thought I wouldn't get to go home.:( My family were gathering in NYC to see me run. It would be the first time in 3 years that some of us would be together again. From talking with my family and friends in North America, there was no panic at that time and it was seen as a European problem.:rolleyes: The training group I was in had a back up plan to run 13.1 miles in Central Park on the Sunday. I was all packed. Then everything changed in 24 hours.

The email came in late at night but it was the training group who told me the race was gone. I'm going to sound like a spoilt brat here but I was still determined to travel. My husband was worried about what we'd possibly come home to, we might have delays getting back to the kids and there was also my job to consider… I'm not exaggerating when I say it broke my heart to let the trip go. I watched as my family quickly changed their plans and fly to Mexico instead for Spring Break. I don't drink when I'm training but that night I had my first drink of 2020.:( Someone in the training group asked who was drinking and we all shared pics of us drowning our sorrows. At least it made us laugh. Of course hindsight is everything and I thank my lucky stars now that we didn't fly. Btw my family had to self isolate for two weeks when they got back home. So much had changed while they were gone.
    I called work and offered to cancel my leave. They said they were fine and to enjoy the time off with my family.

I had a little cry when I unpacked my bag and pulled out my Irish flag that I had wrapped so carefully around my Dad's photo. I remember him talking about two races the most, DCM and New York. There's always next year Dad… you always said the number one rule was staying safe.

The kids got a lovely surprise when they got up the next morning and saw us still there. They saw my puffy eyes and that's when they came to me. They brought me my favorite blanket, some chocolate and they put Mike and Molly on the TV for me. No one else in our house likes the same shows as me so that was a big deal! My husband kindly suggested I go for a little run to cheer myself up! For the first time I didn't want to run. Still, I looked at each of them and thought how lucky I was to have them. God certainly knew what she was doing when she surrounded me with these amazing guys.

I went out for a long run that weekend. I didn't have the heart or the interest to race it on my own. To be honest I don't think it would have gone well anyway. I'd been hoping that the thrill of running my first race on US soil would give me a boost, that something special. The training group were flooding my phone with pics of their run in CP. It was raining heavily and I got thoroughly soaked. I felt a bit better when I got back home.
    Work called. Could I pick up some extra shifts? Sure.

Mon March 16th -22nd

The schools are closed. My husband is working from home. Childcare is our new problem. No one wants to look after healthcare workers children. Work are amazing and super flexible with how I work. I pick mainly nights and twilight shifts so I can be there during the day to try keep up with the daily onslaught of emailed school work that is sent to me for my little army. I also want to be there to help keep my 4th ray of sonshine busy and quiet when my husband is on one of his many conference calls. I run when I can. I manage to get a long run in and a speed session. I'm missing having a training plan very much.

Total mileage for the week is 24 miles.

Mon March 23rd - 29th

I'm drowning in schoolwork. Seriously it's not cool. I've been awake for 24 hours now. I tell my kids I have a new curriculum for them while they're off. They're going to learn how to prepare the dinner, how to weed the garden, put a load of laundry on…. I tell them to do a few math sums each day and to read a chapter of any book they choose and that's it. When I work a day shift I suspect they get more screen time than I'm told but my husband looks tired so I don't say anything. I'm not sleeping great, on the nights I have off. My lovely sis in law suggests yoga. She's a big fan. I give it a try and I love it. Many of the poses remind me of my ballet days. I'm going to do my best to make it a routine each day. My legs feel brilliant afterwards. However at night they are very jumpy and restless when I lay down. I get myself some mg supplements and they sort that out.

I am really missing my training. I am over the sadness of not going home or getting to run NYC. The current situation very easily puts things in perspective. Still I miss the plan and the banter I had with the coaching team.

"I can't run these paces….is that supposed to be a 9? You mean 10, right?!"
    "Do you want to run the New York half marathon or do you want to race it?"
    " ...to race it…"
    "Good, let me know how it went"
    "Yes ma'am".

I sign up for some more training. Yay! :D

Total mileage for the week is 25 miles.

Mon 30th - April 5th

I've a week until my plan starts. It is 12 weeks long and should keep me plenty busy. That will lead straight into DCM training.

The 2km restriction has kicked in. The Carpenterstown loop is gone but I saw enough of it on my long runs while training for NYC that I won't shed any tears. I still have (just about) the small park where I did my sessions so that's good. Best of all I have access to a small but important part of the PP.:) I just about have the Furry Glen and I'm delighted as the first six weeks of my training involve hill work. I will happily take that small section and run the legs off myself there.
    If they restrict it to 1km I will just have housing estates and the green opposite my house. I don't mind running through housing estates at the crack of dawn with no one around but once the world wakes up, I need to be in a park of some sort. :o
    I'm sleeping better. The yoga is amazing. I've tried some pilates too. I think I'd rather do a tempo workout.

Total mileage for the week is 27.2 miles.

My new plan is "going to focus on quality not quantity". I think I'm gonna need some new shoes, yup definitely will need some new shoes :)

Later.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's a pity NY didn't happen. Fully confident that your writing skills will (as above) capture it when it's back on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I should probably know this from following your log but are you on the front line of all that's going on?

I should probably know this from following your log but are you on the front line of all that's going on?

Yes :o

Fair play to you. Lots of respect for what ye are doing for us and the sacrafice you are all making. Thank you.

Fair play to you. Lots of respect for what ye are doing for us and the sacrafice you are all making. Thank you.

That's very kind of you and appreciated but honestly my job is what I am and we truly don't do it for thanks.

As a mom of five sons I've always, always considered myself extremely lucky that I wasn't raising them during the likes of world war 2 or even Vietnam. The thoughts of that are too awful to imagine fully. If I can go to the front line of this pandemic and help protect my sons' and everyone else I'm only too happy to do that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great post L, so much to digest! From a purely running perspective it was a huge pity that NYC didn't go ahead for you this year, but there will be other chances in the future.

I'm in a similar position to your husband, trying to balance child-minding with working from home, but in my case I've only two to manage, so kudos to him for managing 5, when you're working/sleeping. Minimal school work gets done round ours these days... the RTE school hub at least gives them an hour of something!

Best of luck with the new plan, and it's also great to see you're enjoying the yoga. It will help with your running, and seems to give you a mental boost too, which is super.

And lastly, as swashbuckler said, thanks for all your efforts on the frontline. I really wish the few stragglers still ignoring the covid guidelines would cop on. Mind yourself!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Great post L, so much to digest! From a purely running perspective it was a huge pity that NYC didn't go ahead for you this year, but there will be other chances in the future.

I'm in a similar position to your husband, trying to balance child-minding with working from home, but in my case I've only two to manage, so kudos to him for managing 5, when you're working/sleeping. Minimal school work gets done round ours these days... the RTE school hub at least gives them an hour of something!

Best of luck with the new plan, and it's also great to see you're enjoying the yoga. It will help with your running, and seems to give you a mental boost too, which is super.

And lastly, as swashbuckler said, thanks for all your efforts on the frontline. I really wish the few stragglers still ignoring the covid guidelines would cop on. Mind yourself!

Thanks A. I have a place in the NYC half marathon for 2021. It's a long wait but I'll make good use of that time ;)

Fair play to you too for balancing working from home and minding the house. I'm sure your wife to be really appreciates it. I'll check out the rte school hub.
    My sports mad guys have become obsessed with some dude called Joe on YouTube. They do his workouts religiously each day, my husband even joins in. Me, that's my time to go running :pac:

Thanks so much. I hope your family stay safe too. I keep an emergency work bag in my car for the day when it may not be safe to go home again for a while, and I need to stay at the hospital to protect my family at home. Fingers and toes crossed I won't need to use that bag :o .

April 6th-12th

Base training week 1 :)

Mon
    4.5 miles easy pace @ 11.21

Mile 1 pace 11:34 elevation 1
    Mile 2 pace 11:37 elevation -39
    Mile 3 pace 11:16 elevation 10
    Mile 4 pace 11:11 elevation 46
    Mile 0.5 pace 11:05 elevation -14
    Post run yoga

Supposed to run 3 miles Already I'm off to a bad start as I run 4.5 miles :o While adhering to the 2km restriction I still have access to a small section of the PP and this morning the weather is so nice. I know I'm being a pup but the run feels great and I don't want it to end. I hate these short runs. I'm only getting warmed up and I've to stop. Soon as I get home though, I regret going further and feel like a bold kid. Did I learn nothing during my training for NYC? I need to be more disciplined than this.
    I follow up the run with some yoga. Who knew stretching could be so enjoyable?

Tues
    3 miles easy pace @ 11: 28

Mile 1 pace 11:28 elevation -9
    Mile 2 pace 11:34 elevation 29
    Mile 3 pace 11:19 elevation 0
    Post run yoga

I find it ok running into the PP as I am facing the traffic and I can hop onto the road for a moment or two while I pass someone, to keep social distancing. Running out of the Castleknock Gates is a little trickier as the traffic is behind me and after I nearly get knocked down by a bus I decide to look for other access routes. So I decide to run my new 3 mile route clockwise as Whites gate entrance is easier to navigate from both directions. There's a stream of cars parked outside….. but once you're inside it feels like you have the park to yourself. Heaven.
    Running up Whites road is a good workout in itself. I make a mental note to run this way a lot more often.

Wed
    2 mile warm up
    3 x Hill
    2 mile warm down
    Post run yoga

Mile 1 pace 11:46 elevation -25
    Mile 2 pace 11:22 elevation -22
    3 x hill with jog recovery. Pace 11:10 elevation 115
    Mile 4 pace 11:46 elevation 31
    Mile 5 pace 11:28 elevation 40
    Perceived effort 10/10 when running uphill.

"Select a hill about a quarter-mile long, but don't worry about pitch or the exact distance. Run up hard, then turn and jog back down. Be sure to warm up by jogging a mile or two before and cool down with the same distance after. That will give you a workout today of about 4.5 miles but counting mileage is not important".

I decide to use a 2 mile warm up as experience has taught me that I need it. I head to the Furry Glen for my hill. The first one goes fine. There's one or two other people about but I can dodge them. We don't bother eachother. On my second hill run it seems that every walker and cyclist has congregated at this very spot. I dig my heels in. I'm not starting over. I will stick this out. I have to run from side to side though and the extra effort hits hard. On my third hill run I find myself fairly beat and I'm so glad I only have 3 hill runs to do. As well as dodging from side to side I also noticed I was unconsciously holding my breath when I passed someone. Nearly everyone is lovely. One lady gives me daggers even though there's about ten feet between us. Still, her reaction makes me very self conscious :(
    I will have to find somewhere else for my hill runs….

Thursday
    I pick today as a rest day due to my work schedule. On my rest days I'm supposed to do just that. Rest. No cross training, no nothing. I miss the yoga.

Friday
    3 miles easy pace @ 11:33
    Perceived effort 3/10

Mile 1 pace 11:46 elevation -4
    Mile 2 pace 11:31 elevation -7
    Mile 3 pace 11:22 elevation 23

Another enjoyable easy paced run. I notice that the line of cars parked outside the PP are gone and are replaced with traffic cones. The PP is practically empty. Yay :)

I get home and look to start my yoga. However my guys have taken over the big TV. They are obsessed with PE Joe and seem to be especially hysterical over him this morning. I soon learn why. "Today is costume Friday Momma!".
    Right....
    Instead of calming them down my husband seems to be leading the chaos :rolleyes:
    I peer into the sitting room to see Batman, Superman, the guy from Hello Neighbor, Olaf and two dudes from Fortnight who I should know the names of but really I don't, all working out to some guy wearing a crocodile costume…. They're all having the time of their lives. Brilliant :D

I don't get to do my yoga today as the day gets busy later on. My babydude asks me "is outside still gone away Momma?" I take him out on his bike to do laps around the green. He seems happy with that. :o

Saturday
    2 mile warm up
    30 minute Tempo
    2 mile warm down

Mile 1 pace 11:25 elevation -31
    Mile 2 pace 11:00 elevation 0
    Mile 3 pace 9:35 elevation -5
    Mile 4 pace 9:35 elevation 4
    Mile 5 pace 9:41 elevation 6
    Mile 6 pace 11:05 elevation 3
    Mile 7 pace 11:37 elevation 40

I'm told my hardest training will happen on weekends. On Saturdays I have a Tempo or a Fartlek run. Today I have a 30 minute Tempo run to do with a warm up and cool down of 1 or 2 miles. I need all the help I can get so I pick a warm up of 2 miles. I don't want a repeat performance of dodging walkers so I pick the Furze road as it's within my 2km and wicked wide so I shouldn't possibly get in anyone's way there. I've to stop after my warm up to stretch for a few minutes before I start the tempo and again before the warm down I've to stop and stretch for a few minutes. My NYC training taught me that tempo runs should be a 7/10 in effort. "If you complete your tempo portion of the workout and feel like you could not run another step, then you have definitely run too hard". I remember the coaching team saying that the pace could and probably will vary. No two runs will be the same. A pace that's 7/10 today could feel like a 9/10 tomorrow. Run by effort not pace.

I do my warm up and it brings me to halfway on the Furze road. I stop and stretch and my legs seem to really need it as I've not done my yoga in two days. It's time to start the tempo part. I'm running. It feels nice and easy. I'm not supposed to look at my watch but I do :o. I'm pleased with the pace. Too pleased. Something must be wrong… Maybe the trees are messing with the GPS signal and I'm actually running a slower pace. Maybe it's because it's the first few minutes of the run, yeah that's it. Let's see how you feel when you're 26 minutes into the run.. Am I running too hard? Am I still a 7/10? I consider my effort quite seriously as I run. Yes I am. I'm running hard but I'm not killing myself. I could go harder. I run up and down the Furze road until my 30 minutes are up. It's the perfect road for this. I'm in no one's way. If I pass someone we each have room to move away further. I smile, they smile. It's all good. A couple of dog walkers get a little too close but their doggies are darn adorable so I let it slide. The sun is shining, the beautiful greenery surrounding me is filling my soul with everything that's good. I check my watch before I'm finished. I'm still holding my pace and I'm not tired. Times up. I stop to stretch. I'm on top of the world. This pace wouldn't be much to most runners but to me it means the world. It tells me that my training may be starting to pay off and that feels mighty fine. :)

Sunday
    6 miles AYF @ 11:21

Mile 1 pace 11:34 elevation -10
    Mile 2 pace 11:31 elevation -21
    Mile 3 pace 11:31 elevation -4
    Mile 4 pace 11:22 elevation 5
    Mile 5 pace 11:22 elevation 24
    Mile 6 pace 10:46 elevation 18

I ran this one easy as I was conscious it's only week one of my base training plan and I was happy with how it went.

Total mileage for the week is 28.9 miles

Later ;)

PS: be safe x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm so sorry your race was cancelled L. Many have had races cancelled but you were so so close to that start line that it must have stung, i can't imagine how you felt unpacking those bags :( But you have a great attitude and a great spirit and no doubt you will make it to the start line in NYC next time and it will be all the sweeter for this. I hope the training helps you to switch off from a demanding job. Well done on juggling it all, you're unbelievable :)

PS. My kids love that Joe fella too! I did a couple of sessions with them but think i pulled something while webslinging so i leave them too it :pac: The TV Hub buys me an hour too and we love David Walliams - Elevenses, a different story every day, buys me another 15 minutes. It all helps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

God I miss the Phoenix Park!! Been ages since I was down there, but its outside my 2km radius.

I've found the road that leads to Somerton/Castleknock Hotel (going from Castleknock, past the little cottages) great for hills - I do repeats from just under the bridge upto the Diswellstown Road sign - theres a nice little park in there too for a relaxed recovery or strides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

loving the way you embraced the Yoga and as i said on strava, you inspired me to try it and after only 1 x 20 mins beginner session of "yoga with Adrienne" the body felt great today and the back is not feeling quite as tight.

Sorry your race got cancelled but you will get there and it will be all the sweeter.

Stay safe on the frontline L

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm so sorry your race was cancelled L. Many have had races cancelled but you were so so close to that start line that it must have stung, i can't imagine how you felt unpacking those bags :( But you have a great attitude and a great spirit and no doubt you will make it to the start line in NYC next time and it will be all the sweeter for this. I hope the training helps you to switch off from a demanding job. Well done on juggling it all, you're unbelievable :)

PS. My kids love that Joe fella too! I did a couple of sessions with them but think i pulled something while webslinging so i leave them too it :pac: The TV Hub buys me an hour too and we love David Walliams - Elevenses, a different story every day, buys me another 15 minutes. It all helps ;)

Thanks so much E. The training definitely helps me switch off. Don't know if I'm unbelievable, just doing the best I can :)
    That RTÉ school hub is great. My gang watch it everyday.
    Yeah Joe seems to have dominated the world :pac: there's always someone in the house working out to him :pac:

God I miss the Phoenix Park!! Been ages since I was down there, but its outside my 2km radius.

I've found the road that leads to Somerton/Castleknock Hotel (going from Castleknock, past the little cottages) great for hills - I do repeats from just under the bridge upto the Diswellstown Road sign - theres a nice little park in there too for a relaxed recovery or strides.

Thanks A. You're very good to keep within the 2km when you are so near to the PP. It's funny but my husband suggested that very road for me to try. I think it's outside my 2km . The hotel is anyway. I'll probably stick with the Furze for this plan as I want to gauge my fitness each week as I run up it but sometime I'll definitely check out that road you suggested. You're great for pointing out local routes for me. Thanks again:)

Younganne wrote: »
    loving the way you embraced the Yoga and as i said on strava, you inspired me to try it and after only 1 x 20 mins beginner session of "yoga with Adrienne" the body felt great today and the back is not feeling quite as tight.

Sorry your race got cancelled but you will get there and it will be all the sweeter.

Stay safe on the frontline L

Thanks A. Delighted you're enjoying the yoga. I love yoga with Adrienne. She has a video for everything! :eek:

Thank you ;)

April 13th-19th
    Base training week 2 :)

Monday
    3 miles easy pace @ 11:23
    Perceived effort 3/10
    Yoga

A nice simple run. I still prefer running long though.

Tuesday
    3 miles easy pace @ 11:27
    Perceived effort 3/10
    Yoga

Wednesday
    2 mile warm up
    Hill sprints x 3 with jog downhill recovery
    2 mile warm down
    Perceived effort 8/10 when running uphill

"Hill workouts are particularly effective for strengthening the quads. Strong quads equal speed" and heck I'm all for that. ;)

"This will improve your ability to lift your knees, particularly at the end of a race". I'm so looking forward to this workout. I use the same hill as before as I want to gauge my fitness each week as I move through the plan. In a few weeks time of doing this, I'll probably never want to see the Furry Glen again but right now I'm having a wicked time.

Hill 1 pace 10:24
    Hill 2 pace 10:24
    Hill 3 pace 10:10

I tell coach I really enjoyed that one.
    "Great, cos next week you've got an extra hill".
    "Brilliant. Wait, what!?"

Yoga

Thursday
    3 miles easy pace @ 11:30
    Perceived effort 3/10
    Yoga

My quads are killing me from yesterday :o

Friday
    Rest day.
    Gentle yoga

Saturday
    2 mile warm up
    30 minute Fartlek run (3 minute run hard with 2 minute jog recovery)
    2 mile warm down
    Perceived effort 8/10

Warm up @ usual paces
    3 min @ 8:37
    3 min @ 8:52
    3 min @ 9:06
    3 min @ 8:54
    3 min @ 9:01
    3 min@ 9:01
    Warm down @ usual paces

The first fartlek run in this plan. As I'm warming up I wonder what the difference is between Fartlek runs and intervals. They seem the same thing to me :confused: I'm sure I'll find out soon. I got a little cocky on this one. Last Saturday I ended up running faster than I expected for a 7/10 effort. That was for 30 minutes running. Today I just got to run fast for 3 minutes at a time. I got this, right?

I ask is there a pace I should aim for. I'm told "fast!" Ok…
    "but if you can't take another step when you finish, you ran too hard".
    :o
    That's not confusing to me at all… :( Oh man, I need clear guidelines. I need actual numbers. Still unsure up to the last minute, I decide to go by effort as numbers may overwhelm me but pace and effort is definitely something I understand.

My first on section feels great. I suspect I could be running too fast (but coach said fast right?) and when my watch beeps for the first recovery, I cringe as I know that will come back to bite me in the butt. And it does. I'm halfway through the 3rd on section and I can feel it. I'll feel better after the recovery, I tell myself but although I get my breath back, I just know my times will go down as I fatigue again. The recovery comes to an end and I pause my watch.
    I fall off to the side and take five minutes. I want to finish strong. I will finish strong. I use the time to let my heart rate come down and I do some stretches. "Quality over quantity" isn't that what coach says. "The best coach you will ever have is between your ears". I reflect on where I think I went wrong. Ok, learn from it and use it. I aim for 9 minute pace and finish the workout. Phew! I have survived another Saturday :pac:

Yoga

Sunday
    7 miles As You Feel @ 11:22
    Perceived effort 3/10
    Yoga

This is the run where the only rule is that I run easy or comfortable. I run it progressively. Just as I'm halfway through my phone rings. I can see on my watch that it's my sis in law. For a horrible moment I panic as I'm thinking something is wrong for her to call when it's still early there. No, she's just worried and checking I'm ok. I forget my run and chat with her for a while. When we say goodbye I have that knot in my stomach again as I think of how I cannot fly to my family now if they need me. It's a thought that keeps me awake at night. :(

I try and spend extra time at my yoga to help stretch out my muscles and also I truly love the meditative element of it. I especially love yoga with Adrienne. Her gentle voice is so calm and oh my gosh she's got a ton of videos made! Some days I focus on legs, some days I focus on core. If I'm in a hurry I just do the post run yoga.

Total miles for the week : 28.4 miles

Week 3
    April 20th - 26th :)

Monday
    Day off/3 miles easy pace. It's up to me to see how I'm feeling. I'm a little tired but that's from work and not sleeping much not the plan.
    3 miles @ 11:37
    Yoga

Tuesday
    4 miles easy pace @ 11:27

Today I run 4 miles instead of 3. Although this plan is not about increasing miles but working on my speed or rather my lack of :pac:

I'm still not sleeping great. At night I'm laying awake for hours with every worrying thought going through my head and during the day it's hard to sleep with 6 other people moving through the house and my youngest popping into the bedroom to tell me something just as I do fall asleep. But these are stressful times for everyone not just me, so suck it up buttercup.

Wednesday
    2 mile warm up
    Hill sprints x 4
    2 mile warm down

Hill 1 @ 10:12
    Hill 2 @ 10:36
    Hill 3 @ 10:12
    Hill 4 @ 10:24

Perceived effort: hard

My lack of sleep and proper rest is catching up with me. I would love to push this run out to tomorrow but then it would be too close to Saturdays workout. I eat a bagel two hours before I go run. As I'm heading out the door I grab a trusty banana and wolf it down. Something tells me I'll need it today. I run easy over to "my hill" all determined to give it my best. And I do. There's some guys fishing. I really don't want an audience but I need to get this done. :o I'm getting to know this hill very well. Obviously being a hill it's all an incline but there are parts where I need to dig extra deep to maintain the pace and there's a small section where I can catch my breath while I'm still climbing. One thing I do know is that someday I'll run up this hill in a race and I'm gonna be all over it! :cool:

Just as coach promised, today I've to run up the hill four times. I'm on my way up for the third time. I'm working hard and happy with my effort but I start to feel dizzy, I want to throw up. My hands are tingling. It's….horrible. I'm light headed. I pull back on the pace and take a moment at the top before I jog down to go again. I crouch down and settle my breathing. Oh my gosh, that was horrible. I don't think I ever felt like that before. No wait, yes I have. The final miles of DCM is where I felt like this. How on earth could I forget that feeling? I take it easier and finish my hill work. The guys are still fishing. They give me a thumbs up as I leave :D

As I jog back home I'm thinking of DCM and how I have a place for it in October, if it goes ahead. As much as I love the race I don't EVER want to feel ill like that again. Maybe I should just stick to half marathons….

Yoga

Thursday
    3 miles easy pace@ 11:32
    Yoga

Friday
    Rest day
    Horrible day at work. A family were really rude to me. I tried to do my usual and kill them with kindness but nothing was working. The husband was particularly awful and I really can't deal with guys being mean to me. I had a little cry in the bathroom when I could. It was like a release. My husband sent me a picture of my new running shoes that had just been delivered. When I got home he handed me a glass of wine. I told him I was supposed to be training and "I've a workout in the morning". He put the glass in my hand as I sat on the couch admiring my new shoes and in his lovely soft Dublin voice said "get it down you".
    It was lovely.:)

Saturday
    2 mile warm up
    35 minutes tempo run
    2 mile warm down

Tempo pace @ 09:36, 09:33, 09:39, 09:41
    Perceived effort 7/10
    Yoga

Ok, I want to get better at these tempo runs. I want to hit every pace or at the least, try my very best. Coach says I have an extra 5 minutes to run today and if I want to be super fussy about it, then the first ten minutes and the last ten minutes of the tempo should be ever so slightly slower than the middle fastest bit. I go back to the Furze Road for this. It's the perfect road. There's other runners doing speed work too. Plenty of walkers and cyclists too but we've all got space so nobody is irritating anyone else. I remember to bring a drink with me. You'd be amazed how bad I am at that. I love this run and I'm wondering if I should try run my next tempo a little faster to see how I react.

Sunday
    6 miles AYF/comfortable pace @ 11:12
    Yoga

Finally I get to try out my new shoes. They are Brooks Glycerin. I got this pair in blue 💙

Total mileage for the week: 29.6 miles

Thanks for reading,

Later ;)

Heck of an update! Great stuff.

Heck of an update! Great stuff.

I kept it as short as I could! :pac:

Core yoga...been there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Nice update . Your really selling this yoga lark !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

My yonger kids (5 and 3) will do a whole session on their own with Adrienne before the crazy Cosmic Kids yoga channel!

I hear you, the medatitive start and finish to the sessions are great. How hard it is to just, be still, in this running life.. :)

Advertisement