Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything's easy when you know how

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Wow, that was a fantastic report Applegirl...
    I don't usually get around to reading many DCM reports from the novices(apologies!) but this caught my eye.
    What a fantastic read. It really brought back memories to my first one. The emotions were unreal, I actually shed a tear reading it. I remember running DCM the first time and start crying for no apparent reason, I was like WTF is wrong with you M!!!! It happened on the next couple, but to a lesser degree....

Well done fellow marathoner, You're a 'real' runner now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Such a fantastic and lovely race report. Very well done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

L, I read your race report a couple of days ago on the novice thread, only seeing it here now. I loved it. Your training was phenomenal, I've loved following it. It's lovely to read how excited you were to start the plan, and how much it meant to you. Your husband sounds like a good egg :) Looking forward to seeing your training for the next ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

So I'm finally back at last, to update my log. I'll get better at this, I promise.

First of all, I want to apologise for the whingefest that was my DCM race report! I don't think I mentioned once that it was one of the best days of my life. Yes, I was disappointed with my time but hey I did it, and handing my medal to my Mom to place it beside my Dad's collection, is a moment that will live with me forever. Mission completed.

I also hit 1000 miles during DCM. Woohoo.

I want to say thank you too, to everyone who replied so kindly to my race report. Your words mean so much.

And yes, my husband was the real hero on the day. We've been together 20 years and I swear I fell in love with him all over again that day, out on the course.

So, what have I been up to? Well, after DCM I felt so sore and believe it or not I got a little respite when I would go for a small run, in the days after. The first week after DCM I clocked up 19 miles. I had no plan. I just ran to soothe my muscles. I saw my physio for a rub out and we chatted about my plans for the next few months.

I will never forget running into the PP the weekend after DCM (in my DCM top of course! ) and the shout outs and waves I got from everyone I passed! Brilliant!

The following week I ran 17 miles. I also went down to Dunboyne AC and said hi that week, something I had promised myself I'd do, when I completed DCM. I was so nervous but they couldn't have been nicer to me.

The next week I started the base training plan. Ideally I would have waited another few weeks but I have signed up for Manchester in April, and I needed to get started so I could fit both training plans in before April. That week didn't go so great. I only got out to run four times but clocked up 20 miles. I had planned a few runs after work but typically, I got off work late so that plan went out the window. I didn't get to go back to Dunboyne that week.

I know some would not agree with me for planning another marathon training session so soon after Dublin, but I'm not interested in the “shorter stuff”, not really. I wish I was. Distance running has always held my attention. Plus, the training regime is a great distraction.

Week 2 of base training just completed today and I have clocked up 30 miles this week. I have had to go back to running at crazy o'clock but it means I get the miles in. I have a progression run looming ahead of me this week which I'm dreading. I'll spend more time looking at my watch than anything else… anyways, it's all good and I'll get through it.

Later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I know some would not agree with me for planning another marathon training session so soon after Dublin, but I'm not interested in the “shorter stuff”, not really. I wish I was. Distance running has always held my attention. Plus, the training regime is a great distraction.

Week 2 of base training just completed today and I have clocked up 30 miles this week. I have had to go back to running at crazy o'clock but it means I get the miles in. I have a progression run looming ahead of me this week which I'm dreading. I'll spend more time looking at my watch than anything else… anyways, it's all good and I'll get through it.

Later!

This reminds me of me a year ago. I’m not sure what it was about marathon distance but I was more into that too - I think it was because I’m not very fast so never going to win a race but with the marathons doing the actual distance is such a huge achievement in itself and doesn’t require the speed. Possibly a warped point of view :confused:

Anyway, my take on it is do what interests you. There are loads of people in the likes of Marathon Club Ireland running marathons week in and week out - but not for a time when they are doing that many!

Progression Runs are great as long as you start off very easy. Bet you’ll love it.

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    This reminds me of me a year ago. I’m not sure what it was about marathon distance but I was more into that too - I think it was because I’m not very fast so never going to win a race but with the marathons doing the actual distance is such a huge achievement in itself and doesn’t require the speed. Possibly a warped point of view :confused:

Anyway, my take on it is do what interests you. There are loads of people in the likes of Marathon Club Ireland running marathons week in and week out - but not for a time when they are doing that many!

Progression Runs are great as long as you start off very easy. Bet you’ll love it.

Thanks K. Think you hit the nail on the head there with your description of the appeal of the marathon distance. All I know is that there's plenty of fire left in my belly for another round of training.

Thanks for the tip re the progression run.

Base training week 3

Monday November 26th : 60 mins easy run (11:56)

Tuesday November 27th : 60 mins progression run (11:40)

I fretted and worried so much over this run but it went well. I had scribbled the numbers on my hands so I wouldn't forget the plan!

Wednesday November 28th: rest

Thursday November 29th: 50 mins run, 9 easy, 1 hard (11:51)

Friday November 30th: 1 hour 40 mins easy run (11:12)

My pacing was not great on this run, I kept drifting faster and then had to reign it in so my splits were not very even.

Saturday December 1st : rest.
    I had signed up for Jingle Bells but decided during the week not to run it for a few reasons. Last year I earned myself a nasty Achilles strain at JB and was off the road for a few weeks. I've been a little afraid of pushing myself at races ever since. The closer Saturday got, the more I remembered last year and wasn't willing to take a chance on injuring myself again. There's a lot of talk of PBs around this race. I couldn't have just run it. So even though its beside my beloved Acres road, I let it pass and worked overtime instead.

Sunday December 2nd: rest

I worked overtime for the weekend so no running Sat/Sun. I feel utterly guilt ridden for skipping out on an easy run this morning, but I was feeling cream crackered. I'll make up for it later on.

Total miles for the week: 23.8

I feel like I've spent the last week running in the rain and the dark. Roll on next summer.

One of the lessons I took away from DCM was my fuelling or rather lack of. I'm trying to make a big effort with my nutrition these days. On days before a session or lsr, I force down a bowl of porridge. It feels like I'm eating glue but I must admit, I have more energy during the run. I also drink some lucozade before and have a protein shake after. On the other days, I run on empty.

I got accepted into Berlin! I'm still trying to believe it. It's so incredible. My husband took the news better than I thought…. Ha!
    Anyways, that's a year away. I've lots to do before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Congratulations on getting into Berlin, that's something to really look forward to. Don't be afraid of doing a bit of speedier stuff. When done sensibly and gradually it shouldn't present any great injury risk. It's great fun too!!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Congratulations on getting into Berlin, that's something to really look forward to. Don't be afraid of doing a bit of speedier stuff. When done sensibly and gradually it shouldn't present any great injury risk. It's great fun too!!

Thanks skyblue.
    I know you're right about the speedier stuff. I just need to be brave and go for it. I'm thinking of jumping into a Parkrun near me over the next few weeks to see where I'm at. Should be interesting!
    Hope your foot is on the mend.

Thanks skyblue.
    I know you're right about the speedier stuff. I just need to be brave and go for it. I'm thinking of jumping into a Parkrun near me over the next few weeks to see where I'm at. Should be interesting!
    Hope your foot is on the mend.

A good well run short race will also give you much more accurate paces for the training plans. Tyrellstown is a nice Parkrun course, definitely a bit easier than Porterstown. Hartstown would be another good option.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    A good well run short race will also give you much more accurate paces for the training plans. Tyrellstown is a nice Parkrun course, definitely a bit easier than Porterstown. Hartstown would be another good option.

Super! Thanks for the recommendations.

Oh wow I've got 3 weeks to update here.

I finished the base training plan this morning. I'm delighted. I loved every second. The first week felt like a bit of a slog but I think that was because I was still feeling a bit jaded from dcm. That feeling soon lifted as I got stuck into the plan.

Having a spreadsheet worked out for the week ahead, definitely is a huge incentive to getting me out the door. I have a lovely pink and purple spreadsheet all ready for next Monday, when I start my training for Manchester. As my weekly mileage is less than 40 miles, I've gone with the beginner grads plan. But….. I'm still not 100% about it. I'm hesitant as the plan just goes to 3 hr long runs. I've looked at other plans online and they all have mentioned 20 mile long runs. Still, I love the thought of trying the grads plan. I've been running every chance I get and I feel I am improving. Anyways, I've a week to figure it out.

So this week I have no plan (that's stuck up on the kitchen press anyway) but I'm still going to run every chance I get. I'll most likely copy some of my favorite runs from the base plan.

And then next week, it gets serious again! I'm going to be so good with my nutrition and fuelling. I'm going to add in some core work too. It will make me stronger and that can only help my running, right?

So here's what I've been doing these past 3 weeks.

Monday December 3rd, Base Training Week 4, rest

Tues Dec 4th, Supposed to be 60 mins easy. I ran for 60 mins (10:55) but pace was too fast for easy. I kept drifting faster. Still, a lovely run in the PP.

Wed Dec 5th, 60 mins easy before work (11:54) funny, I've no problem with running slow at 0530! Soaked to the skin on this run. It was dark, wet and I was glad when the hour was up.

Thurs Dec 6th, 60 mins easy (11:12)

Fri Dec 7th, Rest

Sat Dec 8th, 45 mins easy with 5 mins threshold (10:58)
    Google told me that threshold is “comfortably hard” so off I went. Great run, loved every second.

Sun Dec 9th, 1 hour, 45 mins easy (11:03)

Still too fast in places. I also tripped again. I need to lift my feet more but when I do, I speed up.

Total miles for week 4: 34.4 miles

Mon Dec 10th, week 5,rest

Tues Dec 11th, 60 mins easy (11:40)

Wed Dec 12th, 60 min progression run (11:25) another early run so I scribbled the numbers on my hand as I don't trust myself at that early hour not to mess up the numbers in my head. Another run I really enjoyed.

Thurs Dec 13th, 60 mins easy (11:10)

Fri Dec 14th, 50 mins easy, 4x200m @5k with 2-3 mins recovery (11:11) another early run so again, I scribbled the plan on my wrist. I found it hard to sustain the 5k pace at that early hour and for 200m as opposed to 100m, which is what I'm used to.

Sat Dec 15th, 2 hour easy run (11:40)

Sun Dec 16th, rest

Total miles for the week: 35.5 miles

Mon Dec 17th, rest by default : sonshine #1 wasn't well.

Tues Dec 18th, another rest day by default : this time sonshine #2 also wasn't well

Wed Dec 19th, supposed to be 60 mins easy but I was so happy to be finally running again, it became my moderate run for the week! (10:45)

Thurs Dec 20th, 50 mins easy with last 5 @threshold (11:41) a nice run before work

Fri Dec 21st, 60 mins easy (11:40)

Sat Dec 22nd, 60 mins easy (11:12)

Sun Dec 23rd, 2 hours easy (11:37) really enjoyed this run. I don't even notice the rain anymore. Lots of big puddles about and some dork driving by thought it would be great fun to swerve his jeep deliberately, just inches from me, so a tidal wave soaked me from head to toe. Well buddy, I went on to have a great run! I had the Rocky soundtrack on my playlist and it was gonna take more than the likes of you to ruin my run! Ha!

Total miles for this week: 33.7 miles

That’s a pleasure to read. Well done you!!! Glad you are enjoying it all.

So last week I had a “gap week” between plans. Seeing as it was Christmas I let my hair down, ate some junk and drank a few glasses of everything that was offered in my direction. I ran a bit… I had great plans to keep my weekly mileage above 30 miles but that went by the wayside. Still, it was a lovely week just me and my guys enjoying being together.

Dec 24th : I woke up reaching for my running shoes. My husband gave me an are you serious look. He didn't look amused.
    “It's Christmas Eve and you're going for a run?“
    I shook my head, no I'm not going for a run today. My reward was a big smile. I'd said the right thing but I didn't feel too happy about it.
    I should've done what I always do, I thought, and got up at 0500 to run when there's no one awake to object to it.

Dec 25th : no run

Dec 26th :
    60 mins, 5.7 miles, 10:33/mile pace, hr: 161, elevation :156,

I headed to the PP and had a fabulous run up and down Chesterfield Avenue. I just ran. One of those lovely runs were you don't need to think of anything or look at your watch.

Dec 27th : all dressed in my running kit, minutes from heading out the door and we have visitors(out laws) call unexpectedly. I think my husband was feeling bad about me giving up my run on Christmas Eve as he kept saying I should go anyway. Of course I didn't. No run today.

Dec 28th :
    7.3 miles, 1 hour 20 mins, 11:11/mile pace, hr:159, elevation:220

Another lovely escape to the PP.

Dec 29th:
    3.1 miles in 28:57, 9:07/mile pace, hr: 175, elevation :25

I finally took a deep breath and jumped into a Parkrun to help give me an idea of paces for my training. I wasn't close to a PB or anything but I also wasn't as bad as I had feared. I might do another in a month or so to see how I'm doing. I had eaten some porridge before the run and I could feel it trying to come back up as I ran. At one point I actually checked no one was behind me cos I didn't want to stop running if I didn't need to! Every second counts….

Dec 30th : had planned to do a 2 hour easy run but woke up sick as a dog. If I was on a training plan I would have dragged myself around for it anyway but as it was an easy week I let it go. I'm never sick, it's typical.

Dec 31st :

Manchester training, week 1 starts today
    (05:44) ran on empty
    Plan: 60 mins very easy but I went slightly over to round up to 5 miles. Yes, 5 pitiful little miles… Pace: 13:00/ mile, hr: 138, elevation : 40

I will have to increase up the length of time that I'm out running as at these paces, my mileage will be in my boots.

It's great to be starting a new training block again. I have also signed up for Raheny, Trim and Bohereem. There's enough in there to keep me out of trouble for a while anyway!

Later!

Oh, I forgot to add my total mileage for 2018 was 1250 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I will have to increase up the length of time that I'm out running as at these paces, my mileage will be in my boots.

Meet your sister. Don't forget you can add thirty minutes to a few runs a week.

Huzzah! wrote: »

Yes, I'm going to have to do that I reckon.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the plan for Manchester. Well done on the mileage this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the Manchester training and all your goals for 2019. Congrats also on a great 2018, your dedication is remarkable.

Thanks Kellygirl. I really appreciate your input and advice.

Thanks to you too Mr Guappa. You trained so brilliantly for your recent race and it totally paid off for you. Its seeing progress like that on strava, that gets me out the door for a run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Also don't forget that your body doesn't know what miles are or how many it's doing - it's the time spent training and effort expended that gives the results (which is why the grads plans are done by time not miles). So if you don't/can't add extra time I wouldn't worry!

Good luck with the plan, I'll be looking forward to seeing how you get on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

You have amazing drive, it's hard to avoid a bit of a slump after DCM (or at least i found it hard both times :o) but you're going strong embracing new goals and new plans to get your goals! Exciting times, i look forward to see the progression for you, best of luck :)

eyrie wrote: »
    Also don't forget that your body doesn't know what miles are or how many it's doing - it's the time spent training and effort expended that gives the results (which is why the grads plans are done by time not miles). So if you don't/can't add extra time I wouldn't worry!

Good luck with the plan, I'll be looking forward to seeing how you get on :)

Thanks eyrie, that's reassuring to know.

ariana` wrote: »
    You have amazing drive, it's hard to avoid a bit of a slump after DCM (or at least i found it hard both times :o) but you're going strong embracing new goals and new plans to get your goals! Exciting times, i look forward to see the progression for you, best of luck :)

Thanks Ariana. I really appreciate you input.

I had been apprehensive myself about how I'd feel when dcm was over. I'd read about marathon blues! I knew I wanted something big like another marathon. So I had signed up for Manchester before DCM finished, purely as a project to focus on and keep me running over the Winter. I'm really enjoying the training although I miss the bright mornings watching the sun come up.

Congratulations on winning race report of the year!! Delighted for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I re-read your DCM report - a very, well deserving winner. Top Marks - Congrats!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I re-read your DCM report - a very, well deserving winner. Top Marks - Congrats!!

I did the same, excellent stuff.

Thank you all so much for your kind words about my race report. I didn't even know these awards were "a thing"!

I'm truly humbled to have been nominated, never mind winning it.

Thanks so much, you've made my day!

New grads plan started last week! Grads plan! Woohoo!

Mon, Dec 31st :
    Manchester training, week 1 starts today

(05:44) ran on empty
    Plan: 60 mins very easy (which is 13:00/mile for me) but I went slightly over to round up to 5 miles. Yes, 5 pitiful little miles… Pace: 13:00/ mile, hr: 138, elevation : 40

I thought to myself that I will have to increase up the length of time that I'm out running as at these paces, my mileage will be in my boots.

Tues, Jan 1st:
    Plan: 70mins easy pace which is 12:00/mile for me. I ran at 12:30 and ate some crackers beforehand.

Being conscious of keeping my weekly mileage topped up, I intended on adding on another 20 minutes or so. However, I got carried away and only realised while I was running around the acres in the PP that by the time I got back I'd be running almost 2 hours. I didn't want the miles to go to waste so I just continued. I considered turning this run into my long run for the week but then decided against that. No, tough! I'd messed up, gone too far and it was a good lesson to learn. I'd have to be much more disciplined in future. After all, in the marathon there are no second chances.
    I ended up running: 1 hour 56 minutes, distance: 9.8 miles, pace 11:48, hr: 150, elevation :250.

Wed, Jan 2nd:
    Plan: 60 mins very easy

I ran 5.2 miles in 1 hour 6 mins, pace 12:49, hr 146, elevation 45.

Thurs, Jan 3rd :
    Plan: 60 mins very easy
    05:16 ran on empty

I ran 5.4 miles in 1 hour 9 mins, pace:12:51, hr 136, elevation 73

Fri, Jan 4th :
    Plan : 60 mins very easy
    05:17 ran on empty

I ran 5.2 miles in 1 hour 08 mins, pace 13:05 , hr 135 , elevation 45.

Sat, Jan 5th : I turned Saturday into my rest day as there was overtime going in work Friday and Saturday night.

Sun, Jan 6th :
    Plan: 2 hour easy

I ran 10.2 miles, pace 11:48, hr 150, elevation 286.

I ran at 08:30 and had eaten a banana at work and then another when I got home before I started my run. Naturally I was fairly tired doing this run. It's not something I'll make a habit of too often. Though, on the other hand, it might help prepare me mentally for the last fews miles in Manchester when I'll be running while feeling exhausted.
    Soon as I finished I drank half a bottle of lucozade sport. When I got home I showered, and snuggled up on the couch to nap. My guys had recorded Creed off the TV for me on Friday night. I had the house to myself so I put it on. Of course after it was over I felt like going out for another run! Ha! I fell asleep on the couch and slept like a little log.

Total mileage for week 1 was 40.7 miles

That's the minimum I hope to do each week and I just about achieved it! I'm gonna have to get more disciplined.

I did some core work too this week. I hope it worked. I sure felt it 24 hours later!

Nutrition : I gave myself a week off porridge and instead had some yummy berries, granola and yogurt. I still had my protein shake too. The hardest part was no alcohol. It was lovely letting my hair down over Christmas.

I couldn't believe it when I saw my DCM race report was nominated! Holy moly. Who would have thought? Would you believe that after I wrote it initially, I didn't like it as I thought it was too long and too…. Moany! Thanks so so much for even nominating it x

Later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

New grads plan started last week! Grads plan! Woohoo!
    Woohoo!
    Brilliant first week of the plan there! Mind yourself too though - two 2-hour runs in a few days is a lot! Great start to it anyway, well done!

Advertisement