Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything's easy when you know how

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I know what you mean. I wish I had discovered that I liked running when I was much younger. I always thought I couldn’t run. It’s funny when people say that now and I tell them I started running 1 minute at a time and I think they still don’t believe that.

I didn’t run this morning as it was raining and my husband is home so I knew I could go this eve - and I nearly bailed then this eve. You are so right to get it done in the morning before anyone or anything can stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Two terrific races L, well done! Utterly unsurprising given your consistency. I love that your son enjoyed his so much too. Oh and you definitely earned the 3 fig rolls - I would call that a very modest post-race treat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I wish I had discovered that I liked running when I was much younger. I always thought I couldn’t run. It’s funny when people say that now and I tell them I started running 1 minute at a time and I think they still don’t believe that.

I didn’t run this morning as it was raining and my husband is home so I knew I could go this eve - and I nearly bailed then this eve. You are so right to get it done in the morning before anyone or anything can stop you.

And sure look at you now! Sub 25 5k! That's super.

I think it can be harder to run late in the day. I have great respect for those that do a day's work and then head out for a run.
    The hardest part in my routine is getting out of the bed. Once that's done, I'm smiling. The peace and quiet does be lovely.... Ha!

eyrie wrote: »
    Two terrific races L, well done! Utterly unsurprising given your consistency. I love that your son enjoyed his so much too. Oh and you definitely earned the 3 fig rolls - I would call that a very modest post-race treat ;)

Thanks so much eyrie. I was delighted especially with the 10 mile race. My previous time was 1 hour 42 and I had gone as fast as I could back then. To get under 1:40 meant everything. It gives me a huge lift to push for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on your pb ! I was at Trim as well and I did notice the pacers seemed to go out a little quick - I started right at the back and it seemed to take too long to catch them . The second half was hillier and the wind was in our faces so maybe that's why.

Respect for the early morning runs.

• Advertisement

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well done on your pb ! I was at Trim as well and I did notice the pacers seemed to go out a little quick - I started right at the back and it seemed to take too long to catch them . The second half was hillier and the wind was in our faces so maybe that's why.

Respect for the early morning runs.

Thanks so much Bluesquare. Well done to you too. Ah it was a great race. We just dodged the rain too! It was only my second time to run with pacers but both times I've been happy with my time.

Thanks!

Manchester training, week 6

Mon, Feb 4th
    (05:48) 60 mins very easy /recovery

I ran 5 miles, pace 12:48, hr 144, elevation 45

This was the day after the Trim race. I had spent most of the night trying to soothe the jumpy muscles in my legs! It reminded me of the night after I had ran DCM and despite feeling exhausted, I couldn't sleep because even just lying on the mattress hurt! I hadn't thought it would hurt like this after a 10 mile race. I massaged my legs as best I could and tried to go asleep. I woke every 30 minutes or so for the first few hours, my legs throbbing.

Eventually I nodded off and when I woke the next morning I felt fine again. I contemplated taking the day off but decided to stick with the plan and just take it easy. My elevated heart rate though did not go unnoticed and as I'd expected, my vo2 had dropped a point. One step forward, two steps back sometimes…

Tues, Feb 5th
    (05:17) plan : 60 mins very easy

I ran 7.1 miles in 1 hour 31 mins, pace 12:49, hr 140, elevation 129

No late morning run in the PP as I would have liked today, My sonshine was still home sick so I had to make it another early one. I felt back to myself on this run and enjoyed it. My vo2 went back up.

Wed, Feb 6th
    (05:16) plan: 60 mins very easy

I ran 5.2 miles in 1 hour 6 mins, pace 12:44, hr 140, elevation 149

A run before work so I was constrained in only running the bare 60 mins. If I'd known how the day would go, I'd have stayed running!

Thurs, Feb 7th
    (05:06) plan: 60 mins moderate

I ran 15 mins warm up, then 60 mins @ pace 11:17, hr 153 followed by a 2 mile cool down. In total I ran 8.4 miles this morning.

The day before, in work, had been insanely busy. Getting my lunch break at 16:45 busy… I had come home tired, hungry, thirsty and now I had to face running a moderate session at this early hour, which was far from ideal.
    “Suck it up buttercup” I told myself while I drank some lucozade, all I could stomach at that hour. I really thought I'd struggle on this one but in the end it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. My moderate pace is 11:30 and I ran at 11:17. Could be better but could also be worse.

Later, after I finished the school drop off, I couldn't fight the tiredness anymore so I snuggled up with my little lamb on the couch and we watched The Greatest Showman. Gosh, I wasn't expecting it to be so emotional! A concerned little voice piped up beside me “Momma, your eyes are watery!”
    Very inspiring movie and I now have lots of new songs on my play list!

Fri, Feb 8th
    (05:14) plan : 60 mins very easy

I ran the usual 5 miles, before work, pace 12:48, hr 137, elevation 162

Another run before work and it absolutely poured down. It was quite windy too. I just kept thinking of the chocolate milk I had promised myself afterwards! When I got home from work that night I saw my new running shoes had arrived! I was thrilled. I ran my hands over them, feeling every groove and fibre. These babies are gonna take me around Manchester…

Sat, Feb 9th
    (06:31) plan: 70 mins moderate

I ran a 30 minute warm up, then 70 minutes @ 10:52 pace, followed by a 2 mile cool down.

I gave myself a generous warm up, really only trying to get some decent mileage in but it actually made the session easier. I found the run took less effort than the same session 2 mornings previously. It lashed rain again and I was numb with the cold by the time I got back. After my shower, I napped for 2 hours…

Sun, Feb 10th
    Rest day

Total mileage for the week : 42 miles

What can I say? The tiredness has well and truly kicked in this week. I can manage it fine but… I'm aware of it. I did extra foam rolling and stretching this week too.
    For the week ahead I'm going to prioritise getting rest whenever I can. I thought the runger that appeared 3 weeks ago was bad but this, I could sleep standing up!

Anyways, it's all good. Monday will be the start of week 7 and I'll be halfway through this plan.
    I must order my new running top for the big day.

Later!

You are doing great as always. Are you doing all those morning runs on an empty stomach? Can’t imagine you get time to eat beforehand at that hour. Are you eating well the night before?

You are doing great as always. Are you doing all those morning runs on an empty stomach? Can’t imagine you get time to eat beforehand at that hour. Are you eating well the night before?

Thanks Kellygirl. Yes, the early ones are always on empty bar a few sips of lucozade like on Thursday or this morning. I eat OK if I've been at home the day before but at work it's very busy and I usually don't get a break in the evening. I often have some homemade soup when I get home. It's easy to digest and only takes a few minutes to heat up.

Thanks Kellygirl. Yes, the early ones are always on empty bar a few sips of lucozade like on Thursday or this morning. I eat OK if I've been at home the day before but at work it's very busy and I usually don't get a break in the evening. I often have some homemade soup when I get home. It's easy to digest and only takes a few minutes to heat up.

Are you having carbs and protein with the soup? Might help especially when running so early the next morning. Even some bread with the soup and a protein yoghurt after? Same after your run in the mornings though I assume you have a good breakfast then anyway?

• Advertisement

Are you having carbs and protein with the soup? Might help especially when running so early the next morning. Even some bread with the soup and a protein yoghurt after? Same after your run in the mornings though I assume you have a good breakfast then anyway?

I might eat some crackers with the soup but this week yes, I ate some bread with it. After my run I drink a protein shake or chocolate milk. I kind of eat on the go- I'll carry some nuts/ fruit/ popcorn with me and I'll snack on that as I go about.
    I did find myself craving ice during the week now that I think about it... My ferritin levels could be low.
    Thanks Kellygirl. I appreciate your help.

Great running - your so positive even when tired etc. when is your race? Are you dong any smaller ones before hand?

Great running - your so positive even when tired etc. when is your race? Are you dong any smaller ones before hand?

Thanks so much bluesquare.
    My race is in April.
    I ran Raheny and Trim. My next race is Bohermeen. Then it's Manchester.

Bohermeen is a great race ! A very nice course! I'm going back for the third time this year !! My favourite half.

Bohermeen is a great race ! A very nice course! I'm going back for the third time this year !! My favourite half.

Great! Yeah I'm looking forward to it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thanks so much bluesquare.
    My race is in April.
    I ran Raheny and Trim. My next race is Bohermeen. Then it's Manchester.

Manchester is such a lovely race - some of the towns & villages that you run through have choirs etc - its just amazing.

Yes, theres a stretch near the end in the countryside, but you'll defo remember the crowds at those towns.

Manchester is such a lovely race - some of the towns & villages that you run through have choirs etc - its just amazing.

Yes, theres a stretch near the end in the countryside, but you'll defo remember the crowds at those towns.

Thanks AMK. I'm really looking forward to the race. The stretch out in the countryside in the final miles has me a bit nervous alright so it's very reassuring to hear you say that about the towns! Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I have to say, you really are an inspiration! You put in crazy amount of training at crazy times with a crazy busy life which mine doesn't come close to. If you can do it then no reason I can't. The training is going so well you will be awesome in Manchester :-)

I have to say, you really are an inspiration! You put in crazy amount of training at crazy times with a crazy busy life which mine doesn't come close to. If you can do it then no reason I can't. The training is going so well you will be awesome in Manchester :-)

Aw thanks so much Strawberry Swan!
    You're very kind.

Another week down. It was…. ok.

My homework for the week had been to prioritise rest, all while continuing with the plan and not sacrificing any runs. So, I booked some time off work which has been super stressful lately. My little cub finally made it back to school (God bless penicillin!) so I could run later in the morning if I wanted to.

I had been very symptomatic of having low ferritin levels so I added a good iron supplement to my diet. I forced myself to get out there and push through the tiredness. I might have pushed a little too far as within a few days I felt fantastic with tons of energy. That all sounds good I know but then my pacing went off the wall.

The first morning I kind of laughed it off, thinking I was just really pumped to be back running in my favorite place again. The second morning I thought OK, this isn't good…. The third morning I felt a little embarrassed over it. I mean, I should have no problem slowing down. Is my self discipline that bad? The fourth morning I earned myself a little ticking off from skyblue and rightly so. The fifth morning I had work, but even if I hadn't, I would have gone out early to try and reign the paces in.

OK, it went like this…

Manchester training, week 7

Mon, Feb 11th
    Plan : 60 mins very easy
    (09:52)
    I added on the optional 30 mins so I ran 8 miles in 1 hour 33 mins, pace 11:40, hr 147, elevation 164

Apart from the pacing issues, I had a great run!

Tues, Feb 12th
    Plan: 60 mins very easy
    (09:45)
    I ran 8.1 miles in 1 hour 35 mins, pace 11:49, hr 146, elevation 165

Wed,Feb 13th
    Plan: 80 mins very easy
    (09:51)
    Again, I added on the optional 30 mins, so I ran 10 miles in 1 hour 56 mins, pace 11:40, hr 147, elevation 207

Thurs,Feb 14th
    (09:54)
    I ran 8 miles in 1 hour 35 mins, pace 11:46, hr 143, elevation 164

Fri,Feb 15th
    (05:13)
    I ran 5 miles in 1 hour 5 mins, pace 12:51, hr 131, elevation 149
    Back on track!

Sat, Feb 16th
    Plan: 2 hrs 15 mins easy
    (05:30)
    I ran 11.1 miles in 2 hrs 17 mins, pace 12:21, hr 142, elevation 208

I can run this distance now and not need to bring any water or anything else with me but I figured I better start practicing again with gels for the big day. So I took one gel around 70 mins into the run. It wasn't that bad. It's much easier to digest one on a cold winter morning than a warm one on a Summer day. Sure enough I felt a little boost a short while after it, but I was watching my garmin like a hawk and just kept it slow. Probably a bit too slow as this run was easy not very easy.

Sun, Feb 17th
    Rest

Weekly total : 50.4 miles

I got myself a pilates band to help with stretching. It's really good!

So this week my homework is to focus on my pacing. I can't sabotage my training now. I need to be better disciplined and I will be.

Later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Aw now it wasn't a ticking off...it was a well intentioned word of advice. :pac:

It's really a word of caution. Your training last week amounted to over 10 hours and there are still 4 weeks I think before the plan hits its peak week. I'm just afraid you leave your marathon on the streets of D15 and the PP. :) The amount of running you are doing, at the paces you were falling into and talk of tiredness had my alarm bells ringing.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Aw now it wasn't a ticking off...it was a well intentioned word of advice. :pac:

It's really a word of caution. Your training last week amounted to over 10 hours and there are still 4 weeks I think before the plan hits its peak week. I'm just afraid you leave your marathon on the streets of D15 and the PP. :) The amount of running you are doing, at the paces you were falling into and talk of tiredness had my alarm bells ringing.

Ah I always appreciate the feedback! I knew myself my pacing had gone silly.

I was feeling tired but I had a lot of stuff going on too.

I don't want to leave my marathon in my training... Do you think I'm running too much? I've been adding on the extra 30 mins to most of the midweek runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I don't want to leave my marathon in my training... Do you think I'm running too much? I've been adding on the extra 30 mins to most of the midweek runs.

Truthfully I'd say I have a fear rather than a conviction. :pac: As the plan looks for more over the next few weeks I'd be afraid I'd see 4 or 5 two hour runs a week and running for 12 hours a week. The plan suggests adding 30 mins of VERY easy paced miles to the plan up to 3 times a week tops.

In all honesty I'd love to hear what someone like El C would think. I'm not remotely knowledgeable enough :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'll be truthful and say i had wondered seeing your training runs on strava and the very regular occurrence of an additional 30 mins. I hadn't noticed the pacing issues you mention but have been fearful of burn out due to the number of hours you've been spending on your runs (and also in complete awe i must add!). However as i failed miserably at the plan last year i didn't feel in any way qualified to comment but i'm interested to see feedback from others around these parts.

You've been incredibly dedicated and deserve to have an absolutely great race. Keep it sensible now for the last stretch and i really think you will be flying the Irish flag with great pride in Manchester ;)

ariana` wrote: »
    I'll be truthful and say i had wondered seeing your training runs on strava and the very regular occurrence of an additional 30 mins. I hadn't noticed the pacing issues you mention but have been fearful of burn out due to the number of hours you've been spending on your runs (and also in complete awe i must add!). However as i failed miserably at the plan last year i didn't feel in any way qualified to comment but i'm interested to see feedback from others around these parts.

You've been incredibly dedicated and deserve to have an absolutely great race. Keep it sensible now for the last stretch and i really think you will be flying the Irish flag with great pride in Manchester ;)

Thanks so much ariana. Sorry you didn't have the race you deserved. I know what that feels like too.

I must confess that I hadn't really counted up how long I was out running for. Given that it took me almost 5 hrs to get around Dublin, I approached this training block thinking I need to work on my endurance cos on the day I'm going to be out there a while! I've so much to learn.

I don't know. Everything's easy when you know how, for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Truthfully I'd say I have a fear rather than a conviction. :pac: As the plan looks for more over the next few weeks I'd be afraid I'd see 4 or 5 two hour runs a week and running for 12 hours a week. The plan suggests adding 30 mins of VERY easy paced miles to the plan up to 3 times a week tops.

In all honesty I'd love to hear what someone like El C would think. I'm not remotely knowledgeable enough :o

Fine, ye can feck and figure out ye're own thoughts on it after this though:p

The Grads beginner plan is fairly low intensity and I would really consider it a base plan rather than a really specific marathon plan so in that respect, the mileage itself is probably the biggest obstacle in terms of getting it done.

There's probably a few ways you could look at, is it better to be running a load of 90 minutes plus runs at a slow pace or running less mileage at a faster pace. You'll probably get a 1000 different answers from a 1000 different people on that.

I'd say and a load of people here would probably disagree with me that there is nothing inherently wrong with running for that long most days when the intensity is low if you can handle it but there's a few things that catch my eye that I would worry about.

1. You haven't had any cutback weeks since this log started(fitness is gained during recovery)

2. You are adding a lot of running to workout days- last week you had two runs lasting around two hours which had moderate efforts included. Your two hardest days were also your two longest days Higher intensity days should be the last place you add mileage to imo. Although you have the option to add 30 minutes. If it was me, I would add it to the short or off days where the volume is low or a rest day and not on top of the the biggest days or hardest days.

Thay way, the week is more balanced and you are running it across 7 days, not 6 and you won't have as many 90+ minute days.

3. With the plan overall, you have moved the long run up to Saturday which is fine but you haven't moved the Wednesday workout or medium easy up a day to compensate for the closer long run. If you want to keep the long run on Saturday, move everything else up a day too so the week starts on Sunday.

4. You are tired and dreaming of Ice cream:pac: Sure fire sign that you aren't getting enough good carbs in. With the amount of training you are doing, it makes a huge difference to just how much you need to eat to support that volume of activity. I have a feeling you aren't eating enough

So in conclusion.

More cutback weeks like the plan has built in
    Better spread of volume to low or off days rather than adding to big and higher intensity days
    Move the whole plan forward a day to compensate for the long run being on Saturday
    Look after your dietary intake

And for god sake, look after yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

El CabaIIo wrote: »

The Grads beginner plan is fairly low intensity and I would really consider it a base plan rather than a really specific marathon plan so in that respect, the mileage itself is probably the biggest obstacle in terms of getting it done.

There's probably a few ways you could look at, is it better to be running a load of 90 minutes plus runs at a slow pace or running less mileage at a faster pace. You'll probably get a 1000 different answers from a 1000 different people on that.

I'd say and a load of people here would probably disagree with me that there is nothing inherently wrong with running for that long most days when the intensity is low if you can handle it but there's a few things that catch my eye that I would worry about.

1. You haven't had any cutback weeks since this log started(fitness is gained during recovery)

2. You are adding a lot of running to workout days- last week you had two runs lasting around two hours which had moderate efforts included. Your two hardest days were also your two longest days Higher intensity days should be the last place you add mileage to imo. Although you have the option to add 30 minutes. If it was me, I would add it to the short or off days where the volume is low or a rest day and not on top of the the biggest days or hardest days.

Thay way, the week is more balanced and you are running it across 7 days, not 6 and you won't have as many 90+ minute days.

3. With the plan overall, you have moved the long run up to Saturday which is fine but you haven't moved the Wednesday workout or medium easy up a day to compensate for the closer long run. If you want to keep the long run on Saturday, move everything else up a day too so the week starts on Sunday.

4. You are tired and dreaming of Ice cream:pac: Sure fire sign that you aren't getting enough good carbs in. With the amount of training you are doing, it makes a huge difference to just how much you need to eat to support that volume of activity. I have a feeling you aren't eating enough

So in conclusion.

Better spread of volume to low or off days rather than adding to big and higher intensity days
    Move the whole plan forward a day to compensate for the long run being on Saturday

I’d agree with you!!

Only thing I can possibly add is 3 weeks on/1 week off. What I mean by that is 3 weeks of decent mileage followed by a week where you scale it back to recover somewhat and let the training take effect per se. Keep a close eye on the niggles & body also. If you’re constantly feeling tired pay heed to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

OOnegative wrote: »
    I’d agree with you!!

Only thing I can possibly add is 3 weeks on/1 week off. What I mean by that is 3 weeks of decent mileage followed by a week where you scale it back to recover somewhat and let the training take effect per se. Keep a close eye on the niggles & body also. If you’re constantly feeling tired pay heed to it.

Yeah, that's what I meant by cutback weeks. The plan has already them built in but the way the 30 minutes are been added to the longer runs means that they don't exist now.

If you add 30 minutes to a Sunday moderate 80 minutes moderate long run, it's caught up to the 2:15 long easy long run in mileage because the moderate section is so much faster. The way luke designed that plan, there's a cutback week every second week because the effect the long run has on beginner runners.

El CabaIIo wrote: »

So in conclusion.

Thanks so so much for that reply El Caballo. I really do appreciate you taking the time to look back through my log.

I would 100% agree with the concerns you listed.
    I work different days each week so that's the reason why I often switch around days on the plan but I could and will make a better effort to balance out the week more smoothly. I like the idea of going out 7days for shorter runs.
    My husband is always saying I don't eat. That's definitely an area I need to improve on.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate your feedback.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    I’d agree with you!!

Thanks so much OOnegative. 3 weeks on/1 week off- got it! Sound advice there about the niggles and tiredness. Thanks again, it's very appreciated.

Advertisement