Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything's easy when you know how

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm way behind on my log-reading, but pretty gutted for you, reading this... you're beyond dedicated so I've no doubt you'll be back in no time, and it'll make Berlin all the more special!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

aloooof wrote: »
    I'm way behind on my log-reading, but pretty gutted for you, reading this... you're beyond dedicated so I've no doubt you'll be back in no time, and it'll make Berlin all the more special!

Aw thanks aloooof. That means a lot.

I know what you mean about catching up on reading the logs! It takes me days to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I am so sorry to hear you are out of action. Not much I can add to what the others have said. Your positive attitude and dedication really are astounding and all the training you've done has not gone to waste. You've been a huge inspiration to the rest of us here and on Strava and all the training will stand to you as your legs will remember those miles and you'll kick even bigger ass in Berlin.
    In regards to gyms, there is a chain that have access 24/7 if you want to get back to middle of the night (for me :-P) sessions.

I am so sorry to hear you are out of action. Not much I can add to what the others have said. Your positive attitude and dedication really are astounding and all the training you've done has not gone to waste. You've been a huge inspiration to the rest of us here and on Strava and all the training will stand to you as your legs will remember those miles and you'll kick even bigger ass in Berlin.
    In regards to gyms, there is a chain that have access 24/7 if you want to get back to middle of the night (for me :-P) sessions.

Thanks Strawberry Swan. That's very kind of you. I'm dying to get back out on the roads again but I'm taking my recovery seriously.
    I'm not going through this again.

The 24 hour gym, yeah, I don't live near one unfortunately or I would have signed up. I'm sure I'll get into a rhythm of training later in the day the more I use the gym.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sorry to read that. You have a knack for describing it well, despite the outcome. Eyes on the road ahead. ;)

• Advertisement

Sorry to read that. You have a knack for describing it well, despite the outcome. Eyes on the road ahead. ;)

Thanks TBO.
    I like to write almost as much as I like to run.
    Eyes on the road ahead, yup, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

How did the running go today L?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    How did the running go today L?

Only seeing this now S!
    The walk/run went really well. Not an ache or hint of a niggle. I met with my PT later on.

Just a little heads up, if you're looking on Strava today you may see a "misplaced looking" run on my Strava... I haven't lost the plot, I promise. It was a run my PT suggested I try and surprisingly it went very well.

I'll explain all when I update...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Only catching up here, been avoiding boards so I don’t get jealous of all the running. Sounds like you’ve had a tough few weeks. Injury is hard particularly when it impacts on a goal- been there and the tears are normal!! You’ve put some great work in and it will stand to you. Hopefully on the mend now and Manchester possible.

effibear wrote: »
    Only catching up here, been avoiding boards so I don’t get jealous of all the running. Sounds like you’ve had a tough few weeks. Injury is hard particularly when it impacts on a goal- been there and the tears are normal!! You’ve put some great work in and it will stand to you. Hopefully on the mend now and Manchester possible.

Thanks effibear x

• Advertisement

I'm back…

Mon/BH
    Rest day
    My PT had suggested I try a short run this morning to see how my shin was but I was terribly afraid that the pain would start again and that I would set my recovery back. So I chickened out. I would have gone for a swim but I was working and the gym wasn't open anyway.

Tues
    Rest day.
    Working again so another rest day. I could have gone to the gym after work but I had worked two days back to back and I just wanted to go home and see my babydudes while they were awake.

Wed
    I had considered trying a run this morning. After two days doing nothing I was chomping at the bit. The pain was completely gone now. I hadn't needed any medication in days. I was wearing my compression sleeves and my new shoes religiously. Everything was good. I didn't want to rock the boat.
    But… But….but…..I couldn't do it. I had lost Manchester, what if the pain came back and I set my recovery back two weeks? What if I wasn't back running in time to train for Berlin? No, no I wasn't risking it. Didn't everyone tell me shin splints take weeks to heal. I wasn't going through this again.

I headed out for a 60 min walk at my usual time. Legs felt perfect. I was so tempted to try running even a mile but the fear of getting injured again was greater. I wussed out.

Still, it felt so good being back out on the roads at that time. I saw the sun come up which is always beautiful to watch.

Later on I headed to the gym. The place is growing on me. People seem more friendly now or maybe I'm just in a better mood! I cycle for 60 minutes and it gives me a chance to look around and people watch a while. Everyone here is working hard, doing their thing, and I feel bad for resenting the place when I first came last week. There's probably other injured runners here too. One guy passes and he gives me a friendly nod. The back of his t says born to run. Cool.

Then I head to the pool to swim for 60 mins. The first 15 minutes is always the hardest, after that I'm in a rhythm. It's still very boring though. Just before I finished up my swim, a man swimming in the lane beside me strikes up a conversation. He says he has seen me swimming for a long time now. I tell him I've an hour to do and I'm nearly done. He is very impressed and tells me I'm a very strong girl. He makes my day!

The thought crossed my mind in the pool that I was possibly doing too much this morning with the walk, cycle and now the swim. But as I said earlier, I was eager to get going again after 3 days doing nothing. It inevitably caught up with me though. In the shower I went to faint. I crouched down lowering my head to the floor, mentally giving out to myself for being so stupid. I didn't even have a drink with me! It was 15 minutes before I could stand up. Stupid, stupid. I know better.

Still, no pain whatsoever. Yay!

Thurs
    Another rest day, after my carry on in the shower the day before.

Fri
    Due back to see my PT so I had to try a run. Oh my god was I nervous….
    Still not feeling confident, I planned to walk most of the hour and maybe try running the last two hundred metres or so before the inevitable pain returned.
    I walked the first mile, my watch beeped. All of a sudden I thought f**k it! Let's get this over with. I started to run. No pain. Not a hint of pain. Half a mile passes, still no pain. I've now ran a full mile, still good. Oh my god, this is brilliant!
    The watch beeps again. I slow to a walk not wanting to push my luck. I rub my painless shin. Not even tender. Before my watch sounds out the third mile, I'm running again. This is wonderful! The thought crosses my mind, did I let Manchester go too easily? A few times during the past fortnight, I've gone to cancel the flights and hotel I've booked but each time I came away unable to finalise the cancellation. Now, I'm wondering if all is not lost, after just one walk/run session. I'm getting carried away with myself, I think. I've missed too much training. I can't catch up. It's too late.

I go see my PT. He's delighted with my week and how well my leg is. He asks me about Manchester. I say I've missed too much training, besides I've only ran 2 miles that morning. The longest run I had gotten up to was 2.45 and for me that was just 14 miles. There's no way I'm toeing the start line of any marathon with only a 14 mile lsr done. Besides, I'm still recovering. I'll give myself a stress fracture. I'll be off the road again for 4 months this time! He says he asked his colleague who treats a lot of marathon runners for advice and they feel I should give Manchester a go. My training was very good and I'm rested with no pain.

The training plan called for a max 3 hour run which I was gonna push out to 3.5 hrs (I know, I know!) to bring me up to 18 miles. If I had got that run in before my shin flared up I would consider Manchester but I didn't so…. My PT says I have just enough time to squeeze it in. I've nothing to loose and everything to gain. If I have pain I stop and I'll know for sure that Manchester is gone. It will be easier to let it go. But if I get through it….

I can't believe I'm having this conversation. I feel a weight has been lifted from me as I promise to give the run a try. It will be sore he says but nothing I wouldn't have after running 18 miles. He thinks I can do it. Sitting there pain free, I could only promise to try my best.

I update my husband who for this whole shin splint saga has not offered his opinion and just kindly listened. Now he's telling me with a grin “it ain't over til the bell rings baby, and I haven't heard any bell”.

Oh my god, tomorrow I'm heading out to run 18 miles! How on earth will I explain it on Strava? I won't upload it…

Sat
    I head out early convinced I'll be hobbling home defeated within the hour. I stash my lucozade in my usual spot. I carry my jelly babies on me. Off I go. I'm so sure I won't get through this run that I stick to Chesterfield avenue religiously, up and down, so my husband will find me easy when I call him after I've crippled myself with shin splints! I'm running and running… god I've missed this. I don't pass another soul for almost an hour. I have my playlist on standby. Each time I get to one of the main gates in the PP, I stop for a moment to be absolutely certain that yes I have no pain. I stretch out my legs, no pain. My pacing on this run will look a bit disjointed as a result of my stopping but that's ok.
    I hit mile 5, 8,10,13, 15. I can't believe it. I have no pain. It seems my shin pain went as quickly as it arrived. I'm running 3 hours now. I should head for home. I won't go past 3.5 hours. I could stop now. I've proven to myself that I can do this. Still, that's not enough. I had wanted to get up to 18 miles and that's what I'm gonna do.

I'm acutely aware that this very run could be my marathon of this training block. I could wake up crippled tomorrow….
    I could crash and burn if I do get to Manchester. But right now I'm having the time of my life in a run I thought was lost. I've proven something to myself. I hit mile 17. I'm almost home. That last mile was the hardest. I wasn't sore, a bit tired but nothing I couldn't handle. It was coming close to 3.5 hours and the temptation to stop was powerful. But I thought “I'll be damned, I'll be GODDAMNED if I quit now. I'm finishing this run!”

And I did finish it and just like that, Manchester was back on the table…
    18 miles @ 11:34

It took me about 2 hours to decide to upload the run. I couldn't stop giggling. Here I am recovering and I'm uploading an 18 mile run.

Sun
    I had gone in for overtime the Saturday night and by the end of my shift the DOMS had set in! No shin pain but my poor quads. After work I headed to the gym for a swim to soothe my hard working legs. The gym wasn't open. I napped in the car for 30 minutes. About 50 of us went in when the door finally opened. Don't know why they don't open earlier.
    I swam for 60 minutes. Lovely. Then went home to bed.

So that's my week.
    I'm still giggling at it…

Later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I think all of us did a double take when we saw the run, and then rejoiced!!! :)

So happy that Manchester is back on the table, you deserve it after the training!
    Hope the tapering is going well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I must say I was a little nervous when I saw a walk/run during the week and then when I saw 18 miles I thought you'd lost the plot but context is key! I wasn't as quick to congratulate you on Strava as I felt I would have been the negative person on the thread warning you to be careful! But all sounds good. Delighted you're back on track.

I must say I was a little nervous when I saw a walk/run during the week and then when I saw 18 miles I thought you'd lost the plot but context is key! I wasn't as quick to congratulate you on Strava as I felt I would have been the negative person on the thread warning you to be careful! But all sounds good. Delighted you're back on track.

Haha...are you typing my thoughts? :pac:

skyblue46 wrote:
    Haha...are you typing my thoughts?

I'm the new skyblue on Strava

I'm the new skyblue on Strava

Nah, you're more like the new me...say nada.....ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

As always, you write so well. I love reading your log.

I’m delighted for you that Manchester is back on. What’s your plan from now until then? You handled that 18 miles incredibly well by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I can't help smile from ear to ear reading that update. This log is a real rollercoaster of emotions! Fantastic news, so delighted for you. Maybe avoid any more walk/bike/swim triathlons before Manchester though!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Loved reading your update. I am so happy for you! Can’t believe you ran 18 miles. You will rock Manchester.

Gypsylee thank you. It wasn't the end to my training that I thought I'd get but at least I did get to finish it.

Mr G yup it sure feels like a rollercoaster! No more triathlons I promise.

Kellygirl thanks for your kind words about my writing. I love to write. I probably go on for much longer than I should here! The plan, the plan... Take it easy this week and even more so next week. I've followed the runs on the plan this week bar the session. I'll see my PT on Monday and we'll make a decision about the marathon once and for all.
    My most recent race gave me an expected marathon time of 4:38 which delighted me no end. I didn't get to run Bohermeen to see if that was a fluke or if I could have even snipped some more time off that... Anyways, that was before I got injured so... There are pacers for 4:30 and 4:45. I guess I'll head out with the 4:45 pacers now after the shin splint episode. There's no point in me saying I'll try and speed up in the last few miles. That's not going to happen, not for me. I'll be running on vapours by then! If I hadn't gotten injured I might have tried the 4:30 pacers and done my best to hang on for as long as I can!
    It is what it is. All I can do is my best on the day. At this stage, just finishing might be the best I can give.
    That's even if I get to go. No pain still but I pushed myself hard on Saturday and I'm on the lookout constantly for signs of my body biting back.

Swashbuckler you are only saying what everyone including me were thinking. I've always appreciated feedback especially negative feedback and that won't ever change. At the end of the day I trusted my PT and went with his plan. At that stage my marathon was already over. I finished the run thinking I might make the start line... Sorry that probably doesn't make much sense outside my head.

ReeReeG the marathon is back on the table but I'll make a final decision to go early next week. It may not appear that way, but I promise I'm trying hard to be as sensible as I can about it.

Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement

Swashbuckler you are only saying what everyone including me were thinking. I've always appreciated feedback especially negative feedback and that won't ever change. At the end of the day I trusted my PT and went with his plan. At that stage my marathon was already over. I finished the run thinking I might make the start line... Sorry that probably doesn't make much sense outside my head.

Constructive feedback. Haha.

No it makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just catching up - sorry to hear about your marathon woes :(

As the saying goes - there'll be more marathons.

Hi L, are you off to Manchester?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

The very best of luck on Sunday L.

You have done a brilliant training block, very inspiring for me to see another runner ticking away at the same plan as me at "crazy" O'clock on those winter mornings, and I really hope everything goes to plan for you (as much as it can do in a Marathon!) on Sunday.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hi L, are you off to Manchester?

Hi K, well my physio gave me the green light so... I fly out tomorrow.

I'm sorry for not updating this log this week. I was afraid I'd jinx myself and it would be all off again.

My leg is feeling fine so I just hope it behaves itself on Sunday. I'm gonna head out with the 4:45 pacers. That will still be a PB over Dublin.

I'm just going to go and run my best race on the day. If I get a PB, if I don't, I'll be smiling once I cross that finish line. I read once that two important things when it comes to running a marathon is the start line and the finish line and making sure you cross both.

There will be other marathons to chase times.

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    The very best of luck on Sunday L.

You have done a brilliant training block, very inspiring for me to see another runner ticking away at the same plan as me at "crazy" O'clock on those winter mornings, and I really hope everything goes to plan for you (as much as it can do in a Marathon!) on Sunday.

F you're like hoodini! I was just laughing with you on WhatsApp and you're here too! Brilliant!!

Thanks so much and right back at you buddy regarding us following the same plan. You're gonna smash Belfast. Your training is flawless, unlike me who tends to forget to turn for home when I'm running!

I'm gonna do my best on Sunday. I don't have speed but I've got endurance and I don't give up easily.

Well the very best of luck to you. You’ll have loads of people thinking of you on the day and willing you on. Your training has been amazing and you deserve to have a great day out. Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

L best of luck on Sunday.

Your story of the past few weeks is very freakishly similar to my experience in DCM 2017 right down to your plan for Sunday. I won't bore you with the details as it's already well documented around here but it had a happy ending and i really really wish the same for you now. Your dedication to this training block has been nothing short of inspiring to me and i'm sure to everyone who has followed you. I hope you have a brilliant day on Sunday, enjoy it and be proud.
    I'm just going to go and run my best race on the day. If I get a PB, if I don't, I'll be smiling once I cross that finish line. I read once that two important things when it comes to running a marathon is the start line and the finish line and making sure you cross both.

Super attitude :)

Thanks Kellygirl and ariana xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I have had everything crossed for you that you would make the start line on Sunday. I am so thrilled for you after all your hard work, getting out at crazy o'clock and such dedication and determination. You deserve to have a fab run and I really hope that Sunday is all you want it to be and more.

Advertisement