Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything's easy when you know how

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

gypsylee wrote: »
    I have had everything crossed for you that you would make the start line on Sunday. I am so thrilled for you after all your hard work, getting out at crazy o'clock and such dedication and determination. You deserve to have a fab run and I really hope that Sunday is all you want it to be and more.

Thanks so much J.
    I'll give it all I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Very best of luck Sunday, glad you got back on track after the dedication you put in. Run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Best of luck on Sunday. Weather is looking decent for it.
    Don't forget to take a small bag with you for the bag drop as they don't provide them.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thats Super news - bast of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Have a wonderful run, Applegirl, I also have a Sunday morning of stalking planned.

Enjoy.

Sooo looking forward to the race report. No pressure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck on Sunday L, I hope you have a great race. It's so strange being this interested in what one of my "internet friends" is doing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck tomorrow L! It's amazing that you've made it to this point now given everything and I hope you have a fantastic day! Will be cheering you on :)

Drive
    Desire
    Discipline
    Dedication
    Determination

Control
    Concentration
    Character

Survival

I took some time before I wrote this race report. I wanted to give myself every chance to reflect on the journey I had just completed so I could give an accurate and honest report. This report is probably too long but it is my story and the whole event was a journey. It wasn't just about the race. If I tell it, I tell you everything…

Background :
    My training had been going well until about a month before the race when I developed shin splints. Luckily I caught it early and with my physio's guidance, I switched to cross training to keep my fitness up while I took the mandatory time out from running to heal up. It couldn't have happened at a worse time in my training. I was just in the thick of getting some long runs in, now I was benched.

I'm not kidding when I say I poured my heart and soul out in that pool! It was pretty monotonous though, and it gave me plenty of time to think back and remember my Dad bringing us swimming every week as kids. I wasn't always eager but thankfully he took no guff off me. “Get into that pool!” and you weren't swimming unless he couldn't see your head.

I got one, just one, long run in during my training. For the entire month of March I ran just 31 miles. My physio gave me the green light to start the marathon but had said I needed to let any time goals go… Just crossing the finish line had to be enough, this time. I'll admit, at this point I was ready to let the whole plan go, and just focus on future races. My physio felt I'd put too much work into my training though and strongly encouraged me to go.

Just a few days before the race, I learn that my husband cannot make the trip with me due to work stuff which he cannot get out of. If I go, I'll be going alone.

Now my family definitely want me to pull out. My husband is quiet, knowing how hard I have worked but says he will be worried about me, especially in the final miles and afterwards. He has his stressed face on. My mom doesn't hold back.
    “you can't go over there on your own. You're being ridiculous”
    “I thought you hate flying and now you're going on your own?”
    “why are you so stubborn?”
    “you're not meant to do this marathon”
    “why do you have to run marathons? Why can't you just run like a normal person?”

I try to explain it to her as best I can. It takes a few hours! If I was injured, that's fair enough, I don't go. But I'm recovered now, I've been given the green light. I can't not go because I feel a little bit scared of doing it alone. When I look back on this time in years to come, do I want to remember feeling afraid. I can't live with that. Or do I want to say hell yeah I went anyway! There's no choice to make. I'm going. I can't explain it as well as I'd like to, but this is a journey I have to make. I just know I'll be returning to Dublin a different soul.

I pack my bag, hoping I remember the important stuff. My brother had asked “I hope you're bringing the Irish flag with you!”. Of course.

I'm bringing everything I will need, my gels, my electrolyte tabs, my porridge pots. I cannot bring bottles of lucozade sport with me and I wonder if you can buy it in the UK? Or maybe they have Gatorade? Either way I can sort that out over there. I contact the hotel and they tell me they are serving breakfast at 0630 on the morning of the marathon. I check out maps of Manchester and plan my route for getting to the hotel, going to pick up my bib and where I might eat. I buy my tram ticket for the coming weekend while still in Dublin. All I'll need to do is show it on my phone when I'm there. You gotta love technology!

Last thing I do is place a small key chain holding a picture of my Dad beside my travel documents.

We leave the house early on Saturday. The boys are still asleep. The night before they each write their names on my wrist for me. After my shower that morning I panic thinking their writing is starting to fade. My husband gets a pen and traces over their names for me. He smiles at me but he still has his worried face on. I ask him to drop me off outside the airport. We say goodbye and I've told him I won't look back to wave. I don't trust myself not to cry. I walk into the airport conscious that he won't drive off until he can't see me anymore…

Years ago a trip like this wouldn't have fazed me at all. In fact, I was a bit fearless. I'd pick a city and head off with some money and my passport. Somewhere over the years of becoming a wife and a momma, I lost that. It's like for a while I couldn't remember who I was. Running has helped me become me again and I've no doubt this trip will be a turning point in my life.

I go through departures and I'm told they need to open my bag. They've spotted my gels and they're now examining them. I feel a tightness in my chest as I tell him I need them for a race and please don't confiscate them! The guy reassures me. It's cool. I just need to have them in a clear bag that's all.
    Calm down, I tell myself as I walk on.

My flight out is delayed so I sit at Starbucks, plane watching and having chats with my guys on the phone. With getting ready for the race, I had almost forgotten I need to get on a plane! You've got this, I tell myself.
    There's lots of other runners waiting to board too. They all seem to be with someone.

It's time to board. I take my seat and can't help patting my husbands empty seat beside me. I feel my eyes fill up. I blink the tears away quickly. I'm determined not to be a mushy mess on this trip. I need to stay focused and sharp. The passenger on the other side of my husbands seat, sits down. She is running Manchester too and has come with her family. The plane starts to take off and I'm grateful for the chats myself and my new friend are having. It's distracting me from the overwhelming thought in my head that we're about to crash! Of course we don't, and we are landing at Manchester before I know it. I make myself look out the window at the ground below. See, it's not that scary. Well maybe a bit but you did it. My first solo flight in years. I'm getting stronger by the minute!

The sun is shining in Manchester as I make my way to the tram station. It's about a ten minute walk away. I already have my ticket so I hop on board. It takes about 45 minutes to get to my stop in the city centre. I sit by the window and have a lovely time watching the world from my seat. A little girl gets on board with her Daddy. She sits beside me and keeps looking at me. She is adorable and charms the pants off me with her little girl talk. She tells me I'm pretty. I tell her she is prettier. When she leaves, she waves and waves to me.

My hotel is on Portland street. I check in and as I'm running the marathon they have a little gift bag for me and for any of us staying in the hotel. It's a lovely jesture and an example of how friendly and welcoming I find Manchester.

My hotel room is perfect. I begin to feel my husbands absence again as I unpack. I busy myself with setting out my race outfit. I make out my shopping list. Then I go downstairs and make my way out to the “expo” to collect my bib number. It's a ten minute walk away from the hotel. When I get my bib, I stare at it for a few minutes recalling how hard it was to even get to this point! Still, here I am. No matter what happens tomorrow, once I cross the start line and the finish line, I will be happy.

On my way back to the hotel I stop off for something to eat and as I'm running a marathon the next day I get some ice cream too. Delicious.

There's a few things I need to pick up such as bottled water and lucozade. I can't find lucozade anywhere… I have brought 3 bags of jelly babies with me so I don't panic. I'd love to explore a bit but I need to keep off my feet. I head back to the hotel and rest up. I'm starting to really miss my guys. There's a football match on TV so I leave it on in the background. It makes me feel less homesick.

I have brought my marathon training books with me and now I spend the evening reading all about the 27th mile. I have everything laid out for tomorrow. I fill my recovery bag. I have my alarm set and my plan for the morning organised.

There's one more thing I need to read tonight. Duaningtons race report from Seville. I take out my phone and find it. The five D's, drilled into me as a kid, saw me through my training : drive, desire, dedication, determination and discipline.
    Tomorrow, thanks to duanington, the three C’s will see me through the race: control, concentration and character. I add my own piece to it also: survival. After the recent month, I know it will get hard and I just hope I'm nearly home when I hit the survival stage. Once you up the pace to that final gear and you're giving it all you have, there is no where else to go. You have nothing left.

I look at my Dad's picture and tell him we're gonna have a great run tomorrow.

Race day

I wake up before the alarm and start getting ready. I eat breakfast right away. I eat porridge and drink a coffee and some juice. This is a breakfast that has been recommended to me and I've tried it out on my long run days with no major issues. This morning of course the porridge is not settling. I make it back up to my room in time to throw it all up in the bathroom. Lovely. My stomach feels great after I get sick though so I just start nibbling some jelly babies and keep drinking my water. I chat with my family on the phone.
    It's time to go. Eeek….

I leave the hotel at 0700 and head to the tram. There are runners everywhere and the atmosphere is electric. I will carry 6 gels with the intention of taking 5. I have a big bag of jelly babies stuffed in my belt. I have my electrolyte tabs and a bottle of flat coke for mile 20 onwards. I want to carry a banana but I literally have no room anywhere on me to hold it.

I check in my bag. It's very straightforward. Then look for my wave. I want to run with the 4:45 pacers but it's hard to find them. After a few minutes there's a small group of us looking for them. We find the 4:00 pacers but he doesn't know. We find the 4:15 pacers and they don't know either. I hang on here anyway, for the moment. There's great excitement. I have my Dad's picture in my hand. I can't put it in my belt, what if it falls out and someone stands on him. It fits perfectly in my hand and so that's where it stays for the entire race.

The waves are starting to move up. I hang back until the 4:45 pacer eventually comes into view. Then I introduce myself to him and take up a residence of sorts by his side! I've googled this guy before. He's experienced and certainly now appears like he knows what he's doing. He has music on and it's really helping lift everyone's spirits. In fact there are songs on his play list that I will never forget. Singing “shut up and dance” with around 50 strangers as we run under a bridge will live with me forever.

Manchester Marathon

Miles 1-5
    10:17,10:10,10:21,10:31,10:12

The first few miles fly by easily enough. I keep the mantra of control, control, control in my head. I am feeling fine but I can't shake the feeling that we are going a little too fast. Our pace should be 10:52. OK, we're not hugely out but this is a marathon. I've got the guts of five hours running ahead of me. I need to be sensible. The pacer is great for keeping our spirits up but I wish the splits were more even. Maybe it's OK? I'm enjoying being part of the group. I don't want to run on my own this early. This is my second marathon and I'm not experienced enough to make a decision on whether to stay with him or break away. I look at my Dad's picture. If he goes any faster, break away. Trust your gut.

I take on some water at each stop. I take a gel around now and notice others doing the same. The support is amazing. I do a mental head to toe check as I run. Everything feels fine. I'm half afraid to check my shin. If it flares up before mile 20 I don't know what I'll do.

Mile 20, that's where I'm headed. I tell myself I just need to get to mile 20 and then at that stage it will just be 6 little miles… which I'll take one at a time.

Miles 6-10
    10:36,10:36,10:49,10:44,10:36

I'm still very much in the control mindset. We have slowed a bit to the pace I'm happier with but I just hope those earlier faster miles don't come back to bite me in the butt. I'm thinking of everyone back home tracking me. I can picture my husband watching the little dot that is me, as I slowly move around the course. Each time I come up to a timing mat I step on it with a grin as I know my guys at home will give a big cheer as they see me tick each one off.

I'm carrying a small shops worth of jelly babies in my belt but I didn't need to. The spectators feed me with sugar as I run. I do another head to toe check. Leg fine. Stomach fine. I take a gel every 4 miles. I add a zero tab to a small bottle of water and drink most of it.

I'm running in front of the pacer now and feel I have for a while. His music tells me the distance between us. If I felt he was too fast initially, now I'm worried he's starting to slow up! I shouldn't be worried about this. This is the control section. If I've gotten this bit wrong, the next section is gonna be really rough. I tell myself, next time, I'm running by myself. The energy I'm wasting worrying about this. I'm not the only one who has had concerns. During the first five miles we lost a lot of runners from the group to the 5 hr pacer. I look at my Dad's picture. We got this. Just keep it steady.

Miles 10-15
    10:36,11:16,10:57,10:57,10:41

Right, I'm now in concentration territory. For now I'm still feeling OK. I don't know what's happened to the pacer. He's behind me somewhere but he's way back as I can't hear his music. The course isn't as flat as I had imagined but still nothing g horrible. There is a small hill around here and I'd heard the pacer say early on he would walk up it. Maybe that's why he's behind? Maybe someone wasn't well? I try to slow up a bit in the hope that I join the group again. My split for mile 11 horrifies me 11:16! Jesus. Let's get the pace back up here. I'm still feeling good. That shouldn't have happened. I hit the halfway mark and I'm delighted at how strong and well I feel, compared to Dublin.

I'm running and running. Concentrate….
    One foot in front of the other. Head down. Tick off the miles. As we enter each neighbourhood there is a "welcome to…" sign. It's a lovely touch.

From around the halfway mark I begin to see people start to struggle. I know I couldn't pass someone who needed help. Thankfully, there are volunteers and race marshalls everywhere who react like lightning when they spot someone in difficulty.

Just as I'm coming up to the 3 hour mark I think of AMK who is running a marathon somewhere else. I've followed his training and I know he is there now pushing hard for his time. It encourages me to do my best. I smile to myself . Only another 2 hours of this to go! Piece of cake….
    I run on, one foot in front of the other. Concentrate…

Miles 16-20
    10:57,11:02,11:25,12:02,11:19

Suddenly I hear the bold 4:45 pacer on my tail. He has appeared in a rush. There's some chat going on around me about him. People are starting to give out. All I know is that the noise of him that gave me a laugh in the beginning, is now grating on my nerves. He seems to have picked up the pace again. I am happy to stay as I am. I am not speeding up here. I feel all unsettled. I look at my Dad's picture. Let him go. You know how to finish this. Let him go. So I do, and take a sigh of relief.

I'm still firmly focused in concentration zone but people around me want to chat. I know why and I feel bad. But I can't run these miles and be discussing where I'm from like I'm out for a stroll. My brain can only focus on one thing! I try to be polite but my answers are swift. People are beginning to drop like flies now. I pass one poor kid who does not look well. He is still standing but barely. Two volunteers are by his side trying to encourage him. They are doing an amazing job but this kid needs medical help. I can't help tell them my concerns. They listen and get help for him. I pat the kids shoulder and tell him he's doing great.

I don't remember seeing this much destruction at Dublin. This here is something else… People are stopping with cramp, collapsing, vomiting….

It's very hard mentally to keep running when someone in front of you stops to walk. Two of my splits hit into the 11th minute. I'm starting to slow up. It's getting tough. I walk for a few seconds as I pass through a water station. I can feel my legs stiffen as I try to begin running again. I can picture my husband watching my splits and realising I'm getting tired.

Concentrate. Just get to mile 20. We're almost there. Head down. I wish I wasn't wearing a watch. I can't stop checking my pace. I'm irritating myself. We're heading out towards the country and there's little support about. It's having quite an effect on the runners around me. At times it seems everyone around me is walking. I trained on my own, mostly in the dark, so I don't think I'm as affected but I'm getting tired. My lack of long runs is catching up with me and the next six miles will be rough, no doubt.

My split for mile 19 is 12:02. I look at my Dad's picture again. “get out that coke!”
    I'm not sure if it will make me throw up but I'll try anything. It works! I have a spring in my step. It must be psychological but I feel an energy surge through me. I keep sipping away. I feel like I'm only hitting mile 10 not 20. Now, to just keep this up…

I hit mile 20 and it's the most beautiful sign I've ever seen. I kiss my key chain. Mile 20 I tell my Dad. We made it. Just take it a mile at a time now. A mile at a time.

Miles 20-24
    11:19,12:22,12:50, 12:59

My split for mile 20 lifts my heart. I can dig deep, I can pull this back. Head down. Keep running. My quads begin to burn and if I slow up at all I feel a cramp. My fingers feel stiff and swollen as I make a fist. I was working too hard to notice the signs. My sodium was low. If only I'd taken another zero tab here….

I just keep running. “Don't stop” I tell myself. A runner beside me says if we keep this pace up we would finish in 4:48. I don't know if that was right or not but it gives me hope for a few minutes. I can hear the 4:45 pacer in the near distance. My buzz from the coke begins to fade and as runners around me begin a walk run finish, I begin to take some walking steps too for a few seconds. I'm so tired. I look at my key chain. My Dad is beaming out at me. I don't feel sad. I made it to the start line and now, trying to get through mile 22, I know I will cross the finish line too. But if I keep taking walking breaks I will haemorrhage time. I'll be lucky to get a sub 5! Still, look at my training, I'm doing OK despite my lack of long runs. At the very least this will be a fabulous learning run for Berlin in September. I refuse to let today become a negative experience. This marathon will not break me. I'm only leaking time now because my endurance has ran out. That can be worked on in the future.

The miles are dragging by. A single mile feels like ten. My splits show just how much of a struggle it is. I know my family in Dublin and in North America are glued to my tracker. My mom will later tell me how she was out with friends as I ran those final miles. She kept watching my progress on her phone. Eventually around mile 23 she said she couldn't take it anymore and left to sit by herself. When she saw me finally finish, she burst into tears.

The crowd are picking back up and they call out my name. It's a great mood lifter but I'm still feeling wiped. I wish I could throw my watch away. I need to be mentally strong and not get emotional. I need to be strong but I get my strength from my Dad and I cannot not think about him right now.

I wonder how he trained and ran marathons without a garmin. If I was able to accompany him, I used to wait for him at mile 25. The smile he would give me when we'd meet, as if he thought I might have got fed up waiting. His big chunky hand taking mine. Then we'd run the last mile and a bit together. You probably wouldn't get away with it today. There are finish line photos of us together, my Dad looking fabulous despite running 26 miles and me looking a wreck after my one little mile! He had a great sense of humour and would practise his ‘Rocky pose’ for the finish, during his taper. “Get those hands up! ” he'd laugh as we ran down the finishing gantry. “you'll forget the pain but the pictures will live forever”. He always seemed extra proud of his finishing photos that had us both in them.

Miles 25-26.2
    12:32,11:55,11:00

I reach mile 25 and I stop again to walk. My legs feel like jelly, my quads are killing me with cramp. In fact, every part of me is sore! I'm a big walking wound! I look at my key chain and for the first time I have a negative thought about being able to finish. I'm so close but my legs feel broken. I may as well have another 20 miles to run.

“Oh Dad… I don't think-”
    His words fill my head. “Get out that flag and get some support going for yourself!
    We're heading for home”.

I kiss my key chain. Let's go…
    I take out my flag. Soon as I shake it out there's a huge cheer from the crowd. I laugh. It's working. I'm not looking at my watch anymore. I'm not stopping anymore either. I've a mile and a bit to go. I got this.

I'm running and running. It's hard. I want to stop. “Don't look at your watch! No pain”, I tell myself. “There's no pain”. It's working! It's actually working. Keep running.

It's like running through a war zone with casualties everywhere. The crowd are amazing. “Go Team Ireland!” they scream at me. I want to stop so badly… “There's no pain! No pain! This is what I trained for. When I got up in the dark and ran in the rain and hail. It was for this moment. Don't look at your watch! The time doesn't matter,you know that. Give it everything you have. That's what matters. No pain! No pain!” I chant it to myself as I run. “No pain!”

I've turned onto the final stretch and it's electric. I see the mile 26 sign and I tell my Dad, we're gonna do it! No pain! Dig deep. Give it everything you got. No pain! I will find out later that mile 26 was my fastest mile in 5 miles. That makes me so proud, I can't describe it.

I'm near the finish line. “Go team Ireland!” I feel like a star! An athlete! I raise up my flag and my arms hurt so much I can barely lift them. I cross the finish line. At home my guys are watching me. They see me with my flag and are hollering and cheering.

Official finish time of 4:54:45. Barely a minute PB over Dublin but hey I'll take it!!!

It's over. I can stop! Thank God! I had thought I would cry when I finished but I didn't. I received my medal and yes I kissed it. This darn medal that lured me all the way from Dublin, broke my family's heart with my determination and maybe my physio's too a little! Well I got. Was it worth it? Hell yes.

I remember Hal’s advice for after the marathon. I walk around for ten minutes, drink some water and despite feeling nauseous, I eat some chocolate. I get my bag back and then head for the tram to go back to the hotel. I take a quick selfie with my medal and send it out. Then my phone explodes with well wishes!

Back at the hotel, I shower and keep snacking away. I wear my finisher t shirt. I set my alarm and lie down for 30 minutes before I need to check out. I make my way back to the airport on the tram like I've lived here for years! After I go through security, I go to the bar. It's very busy with runners all around sporting their medals and finisher tops. I get myself a beer and place my medal and my key chain beside it. I silently toast myself and my Dad. His eyes seem to be beaming at me. I sit there silently, for a while and enjoy “a drink with my Dad…”

I'm almost finished now, I promise. One more thing to add.

When I boarded the plane to return to Dublin I didn't feel scared. I felt like I was glowing. That girl I used to be, before she became a wife and a Momma, she has returned. Coming here alone and running this marathon has done that. There's no stopping me now. I took a quick selfie right there in my seat, to later stick into my journal. I don't ever want to forget how I felt that night.

In just a very short while I saw the sparkling lights of Dublin below. I put my medal around my neck. My family would want to see it when I came through arrivals. Of course my husband would do his usual “Here's Mr T” routine… ha!

So that's my story. I had the trip of a lifetime. I loved Manchester, very friendly people. I loved the marathon, not as flat as you'd think but I'd definitely do it again.

P. S: Yo Dad, we did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Oh L, where do I start! I loved that report so much. You not only write from the heart, but you really live life that way too.
    I'd been following your progress on the tracker, but to see the details behind the splits is a privilege really. I can't believe you couldn't keep your porridge down that morning but still headed out so strong like that, just incredible.

You're an inspiration, I mean that, between the dedication to training and travelling over to the marathon on your own to run a PB! I hope you're still celebrating.

My only criticism is you wrote about it so well you're making me sad I'm not signed up for DCM :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic report, well worth waiting for! Sounds like your dad would be very proud.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Oh L, where do I start! I loved that report so much. You not only write from the heart, but you really live life that way too.
    I'd been following your progress on the tracker, but to see the details behind the splits is a privilege really. I can't believe you couldn't keep your porridge down that morning but still headed out so strong like that, just incredible.

You're an inspiration, I mean that, between the dedication to training and travelling over to the marathon on your own to run a PB! I hope you're still celebrating.

My only criticism is you wrote about it so well you're making me sad I'm not signed up for DCM :p

Thanks so much V for your kind words. You have a lovely way of seeing people and understanding them.

I had an absolute ball over there!

Yes, porridge.... Horrible stuff. Its like eating glue...

chickey2 wrote: »
    Fantastic report, well worth waiting for! Sounds like your dad would be very proud.

Thanks so much C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Race report of the year in April! Poor AMK looked like a shoe-in after his recent efforts. Beautifully written and so honest. Super effort. Well done.

I sympathize with the comments you had to listen to before leaving. It always annoys me a bit when people question why I train so hard or why I race. I think unless you love the sport like we do then you'll never truly understand.

Well done on a brilliant marathon. Inspirational stuff.

Race report of the year in April! Poor AMK looked like a shoe-in after his recent efforts. Beautifully written and so honest. Super effort. Well done.

I sympathize with the comments you had to listen to before leaving. It always annoys me a bit when people question why I train so hard or why I race. I think unless you love the sport like we do then you'll never truly understand.

Well done on a brilliant marathon. Inspirational stuff.

Thanks so much Swashbuckler! Your kind words mean a lot.

Ah no I had my race report glory last year. This year someone else can shine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fair play, a delight to read (link sent to your husband?!). Lots of determination in there.

Fair play, a delight to read (link sent to your husband?!). Lots of determination in there.

Thanks so much TBO.

I gave it all I had, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

wow, epic report you took us on a journey, I just loved it

you are I hope so very proud of your self you had some mental strength to go when your family were so against it.

Now I want to go to Manchester!! so glad I am signed up for DCM :)

one thing tailwind have you ever tried it, its covers everything carbs & electrolytes and is gentle on your tummy I find it great for the longer distances

Well done, that was a great performance and PB is a PB you are fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

A fantastic read. Well done again L, any pb in a marathon is an amazing achievement.

Delighted to have followed your training for Manchester as you were a few weeks ahead of me.

As I said previously , enjoy your downtime and get ready to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ah FFS, I give up with this report writing stuff if this one here is just going to out do me all the time :):)

Seriously, Very well done - I just want to run down the road and give you a big hug after reading that.
    That was EPIC.

I'm delighted for you - That's an amazing race you ran - to get a PB is the icing on the cake.

The flag, your key chain, your dad...................Jaysus.

Be very proud of that performance - & you are an Athlete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Oh my...

L, you have such an expressive way with words. And now I see why your running pics are so good - you got good training :)

Well done, and welcome back, the 'old' you, but with added oomph ;)

Baby75 wrote: »
    wow, epic report you took us on a journey, I just loved it

you are I hope so very proud of your self you had some mental strength to go when your family were so against it.

Now I want to go to Manchester!! so glad I am signed up for DCM :)

one thing tailwind have you ever tried it, its covers everything carbs & electrolytes and is gentle on your tummy I find it great for the longer distances

Well done, that was a great performance and PB is a PB you are fantastic

Thanks so much baby75. I'd highly recommend Manchester. Great place. Lovely people.

Tailwind yup I've heard of it. I'm gonna train with a hydration pack for Berlin so I will give it a try! Thanks for the tip.

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    A fantastic read. Well done again L, any pb in a marathon is an amazing achievement.

Delighted to have followed your training for Manchester as you were a few weeks ahead of me.

As I said previously , enjoy your downtime and get ready to go again.

Thanks so much F. I took 2 weeks off and I needed it. I'm raring to go now, first run on Saturday.

You'll have a great run in Belfast. Your training has been brilliant.

Ah FFS, I give up with this report writing stuff if this one here is just going to out do me all the time :):)

Seriously, Very well done - I just want to run down the road and give you a big hug after reading that.
    That was EPIC.

I'm delighted for you - That's an amazing race you ran - to get a PB is the icing on the cake.

The flag, your key chain, your dad...................Jaysus.

Be very proud of that performance - & you are an Athlete.

Wow I'm lost for words A. Thanks so so much.

juke wrote: »
    Oh my...

L, you have such an expressive way with words. And now I see why your running pics are so good - you got good training :)

Well done, and welcome back, the 'old' you, but with added oomph ;)

Thanks so much J.

Yup I learnt from the best! Ha!

Thank you, yes the old me... She never really went away. She's back with a vengeance, hopefully with plenty of oomph!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well that was worth the wait, and then some! Such an epic report. Reading that has me totally pumped up for DCM this year. You pour your heart and soul into your training, your racing and your reporting too. After how you fought to even get to the start line it was a great achievement to nab that PB. Well done again, and thanks for sharing the story with us!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Well that was worth the wait, and then some! Such an epic report. Reading that has me totally pumped up for DCM this year. You pour your heart and soul into your training, your racing and your reporting too. After how you fought to even get to the start line it was a great achievement to nab that PB. Well done again, and thanks for sharing the story with us!

Thanks so much A. I'm delighted to share it with you all.
    Thanks for your kind words.
    Yeah roll on DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks so much baby75. I'd highly recommend Manchester. Great place. Lovely people.

Tailwind yup I've heard of it. I'm gonna train with a hydration pack for Berlin so I will give it a try! Thanks for the tip.

I used one for DCM 17 when I was part of the novices group I had it in a bladder I think I had about 1.5 litres in mine but did not need it all. I have a proper hydration vest now which can hold a bladder and two soft flasks in the front

you can play around with it in training and see what works best for you, I like carrying it in the two soft flasks mixed at a stronger concentration making sure I drank plenty of water at the aid stations. that's what I am going to use for Dublin (FX) and mixing up more when I run out at aid stations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

You have a fantastic expressive writing style, really a great read and we still have the Berlin report to look forward to later this year. Delighted you managed to get to the start line & over the moon you squeezed a PB out for yourself.

Am sure your Dad is super proud of you!!

Enjoy the recovery and hit the ground running again in preparation for Berlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Definitely race report of the year material from you again. Truly epic. Such an honest and raw report. I could identify with lots of it but have to admit i doubt i'd have had the strength of character to make that trip on my own. You're so brave. I have no doubt your Dad is very very proud of you, he crossed that line with you as you did with him so many times in the past, what an amazing bond to have. Congratulations on an amazing achievement - you're an inspiration.

Advertisement