Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max number of devices for router

Options
  • 25-10-2018 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I'm currently using a 4g dongle while waiting to get "real" broadband installed. I have a number of devices already connected, with another 4 or 5 that I was keeping for the "real" broadband. Decided to connect one last night, and was surprised to eventually discover that I'd reached the max number of devices for my router (9).

With another few devices ready to go, and ideally more on the way in the next year, is this just an issue with the 4g mobile routers, or are people running into it with proper routers/modems too?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its just an issue with the Mobile BB device, a normal BB router will do something like 250 or more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Most people who get heavily into smart home tech, end up buying their own, high quality third party router and connect it to their ISP modems in order to get better performance. Most of the ISP supplied modems are very poor and the cheapest an ISP can buy.

I'm not sure the details of hooking a third party router up to your 4G modem, but it should be possible.

However I don't recommend putting any IP cameras on a 4G service, their bandwidth usage is high and might end you up with a very high bill or kicked off the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

bk wrote: »
    Most people who get heavily into smart home tech, end up buying their own, high quality third party router and connect it to their ISP modems in order to get better performance. Most of the ISP supplied modems are very poor and the cheapest an ISP can buy.

I'm not sure the details of hooking a third party router up to your 4G modem, but it should be possible.

However I don't recommend putting any IP cameras on a 4G service, their bandwidth usage is high and might end you up with a very high bill or kicked off the service.

Cameras are some of the items that are waiting for proper broadband, because of the bandwidth issues. Hopefully the real broadband will arrive aaaannnny day now :rolleyes: so I can hold off. Glad to hear it's not an issue in general, and will keep an eye out for a new router. Any suggestions, or is that an FAQ? It's not urgent - the 4G modem is extremely limited in functionality - I can't even change the DNS (as I discovered during eir's recent blip).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the Netgear R7800 was on sale for £120 a few days ago on Amazon. That is the router I have and it is excellent, with both very good performance, range and importantly stability and reliability. It also has plenty of the usual power user features.

The price has gone back up now, but I'd expect it to drop again during the usual Black Friday sales.

Of course you could also wait and see how your new router for your wired broadband is like. Getting wired broadband is what will make the biggest difference, 4G isn't really suited to this. Something like a R7800 or similar would be a cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

bk wrote: »
    Of course you could also wait and see how your new router for your wired broadband is like. Getting wired broadband is what will make the biggest difference, 4G isn't really suited to this. Something like a R7800 or similar would be a cherry on top.

Oh yes, I'll be waiting until I have wired broadband before making any more purchases. Which could be anywhere from 1 week to 10 years the way things are going :mad:

The 4g is far from ideal, but I couldn't resist setting up some of my toys in the new house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement