Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible fallout from not being a union member?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Totally disagree. The campaign is over.

I'm beginning to think that the only natural conclusion is that they're all on backhanders or such huge expenses they're happy to just keep nodding.

They haven't represented me for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

It sounds like you're looking for an insurance service, or a legal expert hotline, not a trade union. What makes unions unique is the collective strength of the members.

What are we paying for then, and why are people drawing generous salaries from the TUI?

Those at the top aren't sainted martyrs, sacrificing everything for the little people. They're chasing paycheques like the rest of us. They're just doing very little to earn their pay.

The collective strength argument sounds a bit silly in the light of the most recent ballot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,619 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What are we paying for then, and why are people drawing generous salaries from the TUI?

Those at the top aren't sainted martyrs, sacrificing everything for the little people. They're chasing paycheques like the rest of us. They're just doing very little to earn their pay.

The collective strength argument sounds a bit silly in the light of the most recent ballot.

It was a democratic decision, wasn't it? I don't like it any more than you do, but that's democracy.

And are the salaries really ALL that generous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭2011abc

Depends whether you think 140/160k ish is 'generous' ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'd expect somebody to be able to make a decision and stand over it if they are being paid €140k.

2011abc wrote: »
    Depends whether you think 140/160k ish is 'generous' ...

So is that 'salaries' or 'salary'?

How many people are earning that kind of salary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's my understanding that those on the executive committee who made the decision not to make a recommendation still work as teachers or lecturers (not sure of president and vice president). I'm sure they receive some sort of payment or expenses but nothing like that. Those in the big salaried positions such as General Secretary or Assistant General Secretary do not have a vote on these decisions. Their role is advisory.

Has anybody else noticed how hard it is to find out exactly how much our beloved leaders are paid?

https://www.thesun.ie/news/320692/big-salaries-of-trade-union-bosses-dwarf-earnings-of-members-irish-sun-investigation-reveals/
    "Total salaries and wages came to €1,781,705 in 2015 or an average of €63,632 for each of the 28 employees — which equates to €3,000 more than what is earned by a teacher at the highest pay grade."

All that AND nearly €5000 on gardening? How?

Unless I'm misinformed, they don't even have to cough up their union dues once they join the gravy train.

Teachers who are struggling to put enough petrol in their cars to last until payday are helping to fund this, like gormless eejits.

I agree the salaries seem too high and not transparent enough. But only the president and vp from the executive committee count as part of that 28 staff members. The other 26 staff members had no vote on this. Most of them are admin staff. The list of them is on the website. Exec members are not salaried employees.

• Advertisement

Has anybody else noticed how hard it is to find out exactly how much our beloved leaders are paid?

https://www.thesun.ie/news/320692/big-salaries-of-trade-union-bosses-dwarf-earnings-of-members-irish-sun-investigation-reveals/
    "Total salaries and wages came to €1,781,705 in 2015 or an average of €63,632 for each of the 28 employees — which equates to €3,000 more than what is earned by a teacher at the highest pay grade."

Unless I'm misinformed, they don't even have to cough up their union dues once they join the gravy train.

Teachers who are struggling to put enough petrol in their cars to last until payday are helping to fund this, like gormless eejits.

Have you tried putting down a motion through your local branch for debate at the national conference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'm pretty happy with whatever they're paid to be honest. The job should be paid well enough to be held in high regard and something to strive for suitable candidates. If the position wasn't paid well, it would used as a stepping stone to a different job with somebody else and this would compromise the integrity of the role. If you aren't happy with this, bring up at your branch meeting instead of whinging about it on the internet.

There's places and mechanisms for things like this if you really want to raise them. Public online forums is not one of them.

Public online forums is not one of them.

Yes. Can't be seen to criticize or question our beloved leaders in public. Best keep that sort of sedition nice and quiet or it might catch on. We can't have the general public getting the impression that things are anything less than peachy among the loyal members of the TUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Samsarah

Yes. Can't be seen to criticize or question our beloved leaders in public. Best keep that sort of sedition nice and quiet or it might catch on. We can't have the general public getting the impression that things are anything less than peachy among the loyal members of the TUI.

Sadly it’s the same story with the INTO.

I say question and complain away! I've done the same myself. It should be brought up through official channels but that doesn't preclude criticism online. Given the people who hold the decision making power aren't being paid the big money it seems irrelevant to the current specific issues to me though. Either way I'll be continuing to pay my union fees even having left teaching as my main job. I think anyone risking working in the profession without union representation is crazy in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Crib away, you could even ring Joe Duffy if you wanted a few minutes of fame.
    However, if you want something to be done, promote debate, advocate and implement change, etc., there's a means within your union to do so.
    Not like some organisations we won't mention here.

• Advertisement

They can criticise their actions, fine, but not the role or the wage which people are doing here. There's a huge difference between holding people to account and attacking a union that you are a member of publicly online.

You've asked about the worth of the union membership on a micro level to individual members and been given numerous examples.

You've now questioned the wages that democratically elected people are on, and there are mechanisms to do this if you want to do.

If you want to stir ****, do it where it'll make a difference to the union structures and ultimately make the union better if people agree with you. Go to your branch meetings and speak up. Don't do it where it'll just give people ammunition to weaken our case in the eyes of the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The irony of union members suggesting a pay cut for other workers.

INTO salaries are linked to civil service grades. Not sure about the other teaching unions.

You've asked about the worth of the union membership on a micro level to individual members and been given numerous examples.

You've now questioned the wages that democratically elected people are on, and there are mechanisms to do this if you want to do.

I think you're reading things that aren't there. I neither asked about the worth of union membership nor questioned the wages of anyone. As for my involvement in the union - I'm very involved. I dont need any patronising advice on the matter from you.

I think you're reading things that aren't there. I neither asked about the worth of union membership nor questioned the wages of anyone. As for my involvement in the union - I'm very involved. I dont need any patronising advice on the matter from you.

I was addressing that to the other two posters, sorry Gustavo Ripe Chauffeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

mvron wrote: »
    I'm one of the people who the union (successfully) fought for & I can honestly say that I will never give my membership because of it.

exact same

• Advertisement
Advertisement