Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update affected my phone?

• 25-10-2018 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

I have an iPhone se about 2 years now I guess and usually update when prompted. Not that tech savvy myself.
    After a recent update ( to 12.0.1) there are a few things which I notice no longer work on my phone
    1 - portrait orientation lock - despite this being turned off, it is still on ( when I turn it sideways to look at a video or for another reason it still stays in ‘upright ‘ mode.
    2 WhatsApp notifications not showing up on screen, despite being turned on in settings, although it worked intermittantly for a short while.

Have I done something wrong, is there a glitch, or is it sort of the ‘planned obsolescence’ I read about the other day, where newer updates render older phones ‘sub-functional’?
    Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    I have an iPhone se about 2 years now I guess and usually update when prompted. Not that tech savvy myself.
    After a recent update ( to 12.0.1) there are a few things which I notice no longer work on my phone
    1 - portrait orientation lock - despite this being turned off, it is still on ( when I turn it sideways to look at a video or for another reason it still stays in ‘upright ‘ mode.
    2 WhatsApp notifications not showing up on screen, despite being turned on in settings, although it worked intermittantly for a short while.

Have I done something wrong, is there a glitch, or is it sort of the ‘planned obsolescence’ I read about the other day, where newer updates render older phones ‘sub-functional’?
    Tia.

Happens on my iPad from time to time. Fine after a restart

• Registered Users Posts: 31 justme112

Tia.

Ignore this nonsense. iOS 12 is supporting phones back as far as 5s (running fine on mine)

Hopefully a soft reset will sort this for you - hold home button and lock button until you see apple logo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There is no such thing as planned obsolescence. It's just something that Apple haters go on about.

I have an iPod at home from 2004 and it still works, just an issue with the battery which is to be expected but works fine when plugged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

murpho999 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as planned obsolescence. It's just something that Apple haters go on about.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/01/12/technology/apple-iphone-slow-battery-lawsuit/index.html

Also, to be fair, Apple are not the only ones to do this, but it is done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

davo2001 wrote: »
    https://money.cnn.com/2018/01/12/technology/apple-iphone-slow-battery-lawsuit/index.html

That wasn't planned obsolescence, that was Apple clumsily trying to avoid a global recall of faulty batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

justme112 wrote: »
    Ignore this nonsense. iOS 12 is supporting phones back as far as 5s (running fine on mine)

Hopefully a soft reset will sort this for you - hold home button and lock button until you see apple logo

Thanks. Did this soft reset as suggested and all seems good again.
    Boards comes up trumps again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

murpho999 wrote: »

Fair enough, and I understand about non apple fans.
    Just mentioned it because this issue arose after an update, and I had just read this article the other day.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetwburns/2018/10/24/italy-fines-apple-samsung-a-few-million-for-planned-obsolescence-in-phones/#7dc3c4955afb

davo2001 wrote: »

How can that be perceived as planned obsolescence?

Agreed it was not handled well but slowing a phone down to save battery does not make a phone obsolete.

Fair enough, and I understand about non apple fans.
    Just mentioned it because this issue arose after an update, and I had just read this article the other day.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetwburns/2018/10/24/italy-fines-apple-samsung-a-few-million-for-planned-obsolescence-in-phones/#7dc3c4955afb

I think people misunderstood what was going on.

Slowing the phone down was to prolong its life.

The writer of that article cleary has no idea as she writes

"For Apple, it was iPhone 6 users' adoption of the iPhone 7 operating system that caused Italians to cry foul about poorer performance."

A clear misunderstanding of how iOS works as they are not model specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sorry, but 2 years for an iPhone is far too long. Why have you not bought the latest phone? Why did you skip last years model? Who exactly do you think you are?

On a serious note, Samsung and Apple, knowingly slow down older phones. The fine is nothing in comparison to the revenue they will make from people switching to new phones.

Two scumbag companies with scumbag practices, I won't be purchasing either of their phones (or other products) in future. Fairphone looks promising. You can actually repair your phone with modules they sell. Madness!

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-and-samsung-fined-for-slowing-down-phones-with-updates/

• Advertisement
Advertisement