Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dorset Street as ‘cosmopolitan destination village’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Saw this on IT today:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/plan-to-transform-dublin-s-dorset-street-into-cosmopolitan-destination-village-unveiled-1.3674743
    Not sure how they plan on doing this as they don't own the shops/massage parlours! Would be great to make Dorset Street more pleasant. What do folks think? Snow balls chance in hell?

Maybe they are aiming for an Amsterdam red light district vibe...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Fair bit of potential that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Ah, Gentrification.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Given that it is one of the artery routes into the city for the new bus connect plan I can't see the council agreeing to removing road space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Gorgeous. The road doesn't really need to be that wide I suppose. We'll have to wait n see what the bus connects design comes out with and then work around that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That would be great, there's already a nice new pizza place and a great vegan restaurant recently opened there, would like if it was done up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think Dublin City Council should just start with implementing anti-dumping controls. That would be a basic improvement to the area that doesn't require nonsense unrealisable plans.

Ah, Gentrification.

Ah, bleary-eyed romanticism for an area that you, in all probability, haven't set foot in, nor spent a euro on, for donkeys years.

Dorset St is a kip. Full of people in council houses flytipping on their own doorstep for half the year and drunken culchies pi$$ing in doorways for the other half. It needs to be gentrified, badly. Look at the likes of Manor St or Camden St for examples of what Dorset St could become.

The best things it had going for it were the Big Tree and Kavanagh's. One is a shadow of its former self and the other is gone. Boards is a strange place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Kavanaghs was great, it opened twice and still couldn't succeed. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

With all the new student accommodation and the full opening of DIT Grangegorman in a few years, I can see the area evolving in a positive way. Already some nice and interesting restaurants and cafes have started to open which is usually the first signs of gentrification. A large Japanese restaurant has opened on one of the former pubs, Bleeker St and a few more are setting the trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

With all the new student accommodation and the full opening of DIT Grangegorman in a few years, I can see the area evolving in a positive way. Already some nice and interesting restaurants and cafes have started to open which is usually the first signs of gentrification. A large Japanese restaurant has opened on one of the former pubs, also Bleeker St and a few more are setting the trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

boombang wrote: »
    I think Dublin City Council should just start with implementing anti-dumping controls. That would be a basic improvement to the area that doesn't require nonsense unrealisable plans.

Basic maintenance just fell out of DCC's remit all on it's own, no quango was needed to relieve them of that power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Westwood, don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why did they choose dorset street for this, is there a reason? Would it not be easier to make a nice cosmpolitan restaurant street that was a narrow lane off the side of a busy pedestrian street like talbot street or henry street?
    Moore street could do with improvement more than dorset street for instance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Haven't they just spent years digging it up to put the central reservation/trees in...

And the bus lane extension further up at DCU on top of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Ah, bleary-eyed romanticism for an area that you, in all probability, haven't set foot in, nor spent a euro on, for donkeys years.

Dorset St is a kip. Full of people in council houses flytipping on their own doorstep for half the year and drunken culchies pi$$ing in doorways for the other half. It needs to be gentrified, badly. Look at the likes of Manor St or Camden St for examples of what Dorset St could become.

The best things it had going for it were the Big Tree and Kavanagh's. One is a shadow of its former self and the other is gone. Boards is a strange place.

:pac::pac:

Was a regular in Kavanagh's, and the Big Tree years before that, so yeah.

I absolutely love gentrification, and can't wait until the affects of Broombridge start to manifest in the area where I currently reside.

Good man, boards is really strange alright.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly pal.

xxx

Advertisement