Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Drink Driving rules???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I'm sureI wasnt hearing things, earlier on today on our local radio news I am pretty sure I heard them say that starting from midnight tonight new drink driving rules come into force and people caught face a 3 month (or was it years?) disqualification

But I have gone on the radio stations facebook page and their website and cannot see the bit of news anywhere on there .

What is this about? - can you not have any drink whatsoever now then if you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Probabally the current fixed charges have been moved to bans for people just over the limit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

3 month ban and 200 Euro fine. But people don't care about being banned anymore.

but still the same limits is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

but still the same limits is it?

No. I believe it is any trace of achohol is a three m ok nth ban and fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

3 month ban and 200 Euro fine. But people don't care about being banned anymore.

Maybe some people don't but most would. Massive inconvenience & embrassing if colleagues asking 'why are you suddenly cycling in wet, dark weather?v

If it discourages a moronic practice, then all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

If it discourages a moronic practice, then all the better.
    it wont..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

According to RTE:

Drivers detected by a member of An Garda Síochána with between 50 milligrammes and 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, 107 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine, or 35 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, will be disqualified from holding a driving licence for a period of 3 months and receive a fine of €200

This evening in pubs and restaurants around the country they need a big poster as you walk in through the front door saying "From midnight tonight if you drink and drive you will face a 3month ban and a fine" - so there is no confusion and no buts, and cannot say people werent warned!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This evening in pubs and restaurants around the country they need a big poster as you walk in through the front door saying "From midnight tonight if you drink and drive you will face a 3month ban and a fine" - so there is no confusion and no buts, and cannot say people werent warned!

The offence hasn't changed, just the penalty. They already know it's illegal to drive over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I'm sureI wasnt hearing things, earlier on today on our local radio news I am pretty sure I heard them say that starting from midnight tonight new drink driving rules come into force and people caught face a 3 month (or was it years?) disqualification

But I have gone on the radio stations facebook page and their website and cannot see the bit of news anywhere on there .

What is this about? - can you not have any drink whatsoever now then if you drive?

Looks like I discovered time travel. Answered the OP before the question was asked. Yay.

EPAndlee wrote: »
    According to RTE:

Drivers detected by a member of An Garda Síochána with between 50 milligrammes and 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, 107 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine, or 35 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, will be disqualified from holding a driving licence for a period of 3 months and receive a fine of €200

I suppose for the normal person they are not going to know how much milligrammes they have in them ... so I suppose the best thing is if you are going to drive ... dont drink at all.

I normally have half a pint of lager or guinness or something if I am out - and i feel fine to drive but it would make me think again now , just in case.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Looks like I discovered time travel. Answered the OP before the question was asked. Yay.

yes I was wondering how u did that - you are post number 1 LOL :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

dinneenp wrote: »
    Maybe some people don't but most would. Massive inconvenience & embrassing if colleagues asking 'why are you suddenly cycling in wet, dark weather?v

You should check the garda Twitter feeds more. A lot of people banned or without a licence. The kind to get caught drink driving really don't care. Losing their licence, they'll continue to drive.

You should check the garda Twitter feeds more. A lot of people banned or without a licence. The kind to get caught drink driving really don't care. Losing their licence, they'll continue to drive.

Cut both their hands off when caught ... sure way to stop them driving when banned ... then again they most probably get a couple of prosthetic's and carry on driving

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Anybody hazard a guess as to what 50mg (per 100ml of blood) would be in terms of amount of drink taken, excluding things like weight, eaten beforehand etc?
    Half a pint, a pint, 2 pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I know someone who was done under the old limit of 80mg. He had 7 pints and and was 190 mg in the blood sample, so work it out from there.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Anybody hazard a guess as to what 50mg (per 100ml of blood) would be in terms of amount of drink taken, excluding things like weight, eaten beforehand etc?

It's a gamble.
    It all depends on the person, what they are used to, their body composition etc
    So basically, if you are going to drink, don't drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Have you lived under a stone for the past couple of years?
    Debated ad nauseam in the dail. A pet project of Mr. Stepaside Garda station himself, lord Ross.

I'll guess you're from sligo (my power of deduction is amazing) - if you went on a Sunday drive to Jack's in Belcoo and had 3 pints over a couple of hours and breathalysed outside by psni, you'd be allowed to drive without fear of any penalty.

Drive a few hundred metres and stopped by the Gardai 2 minutes later and you'd be off the road for 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

A rough guide for men is 2 standard drinks in the 1st hour and 1 standard drink per hr after that. A standard drink being a half pint, small glass of wine, 1 shot of spirits. Women is 1 standard drink per hr.. However as you said, size, food taken, metabolism, how often you drink etc all matter. It's a lottery really there is no exact guide available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It’s grand, don’t worry about it, the justice system is so píss poor in this country that your almost guaranteed to get off on some ridiculous technicality in the court case.

For anyone who was that worried if they were possibly over the limit you can buy breathalysers to use the morning after drinking.

But on the topic it’s about right there’s more heavy handed punishments for this kind of ****e. I hope the same applies to all traffic offences someday, no seat belt, speeding etc. Too many folk in this country drive like eejits.

Have you lived under a stone for the past couple of years?
    Debated ad nauseam in the dail. A pet project of Mr. Stepaside Garda station himself, lord Ross.

I'll guess you're from sligo (my power of deduction is amazing) - if you went on a Sunday drive to Jack's in Belcoo and had 3 pints over a couple of hours and breathalysed outside by psni, you'd be allowed to drive without fear of any penalty.

Drive a few hundred metres and stopped by the Gardai 2 minutes later and you'd be off the road for 3 months.

yeah, in all fairness quite some time ago i heard it discussed i just didnt know when it was gonna happen and didnt realise it was midnight tonight it came into force .

I think shane ross had said in the past when he was discussing about all this that he wanted a total drink, no drive at all scenario but it was met with so much opposition from .. er his opponents in the Dail - but it does seem thats the direction its heading to.

one FF TD down our way wants to see it relaxed in rural areas thinking it should be one or 2 drinks (maybe he is citing pints?) and still allowed to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Quick maths says a litre of 3% alcohol which is about a standard pint

Assuming 5ltr of blood
    Alcohol is 78924 mg/ml

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Masala

yeah, in all fairness quite some time ago i heard it discussed i just didnt know when it was gonna happen and didnt realise it was midnight tonight it came into force .

Ya... we all thought the 2 Healy Raes would pull rank and get this buried!!

Looks like The Raes only power is in Kilgarvin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Can't exclude those things and others I'm afraid. It would be illogical to exclude major factors that affect BAC. Like it would be unscientific to exclude all/any major contributory factors to crashes that also have alcohol as a factor whether contributory or not.
    All I can say is I can have up to 5 Guinness over 4 hr.s , eat a bag of chips while waiting 30min.s after my last pint and be well under .05 BAC. Usually around .025. But everyone if different due to weight/tolerance and other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I hope something similar is brought in for phone usage. My friend was rear ended at a red light by an idiot looking at his phone.

Some people just don't understand how dangerous it is, and it is widespread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

For anyone who was that worried if they were possibly over the limit you can buy breathalysers to use the morning after drinking.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Advertisement