Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Drink Driving rules???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Will they put an adequate number of gardai on the roads to actually follow up on this?

Currently, you're nearly more likely to win the lottery than the be stopped and checked. There's absolutely 0 point in fiddling with the potential penalties as long as people know they won't get caught anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

McGaggs wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations?

Would you put your licence in the hands of some breathalyser you got off the interwebs? The only one that matters is the one the garda has and it'll be no defense to say the one you had at home said you were good to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Newstalk have on their news headlines this morning that having just a half pint of beer will see drivers off the road if they are stopped now. Where is that coming from???

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

Here's the Bill as signed into law. https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2017/108/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Anybody hazard a guess as to what 50mg (per 100ml of blood) would be in terms of amount of drink taken, excluding things like weight, eaten beforehand etc?
    Half a pint, a pint, 2 pints?

Body weight is the most significant factor. Someone weighing 17st can hold far more than someone of 8st. There are charts on the net produced in America showing this. It would be utterly stupid to rely on some rule of thumb and drink up to that amount. Sleep and food alone cause major variations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

If you have to go to the pub ( say for a farewell gig/ quiet read of the paper/ catch a match) you always have a pint of Heineken Zero. No one will know the difference... and you safe driving home

Had a few cans recent,y as they on special offer and as a thirst quencher they were alright!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

dinneenp wrote: »
    Maybe some people don't but most would. Massive inconvenience & embrassing if colleagues asking 'why are you suddenly cycling in wet, dark weather?v

Cars broken down cant afford mechanic right now..?
    I think 3 months is pretty ****, not much of a deterrent at all, 1 year would be more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

wakka12 wrote: »
    Cars broken down cant afford mechanic right now..?
    I think 3 months is pretty ****, not much of a deterrent at all, 1 year would be more like it

I was without a car for 10 days recently after it was damaged in the recent storm. 10 days was torture. I couldn't imagine 3 months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

The first the Gardai (Gardai out doing checkpoints and in patrol cars) heard of this new law was in the papers yesterday.

They have received no training or lectures on its implementation.

And dont forget, if they put handcuffs on you after your arrest you are more than likely to get off scott free

Joke of a system.

https://twitter.com/GRA_NR/status/1055578890788372480?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Doesn't the same bill bring in the stricter penalty for unaccompanied learner drivers as well? I see no talk of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Shenshen wrote: »
    Will they put an adequate number of gardai on the roads to actually follow up on this?

Currently, you're nearly more likely to win the lottery than the be stopped and checked. There's absolutely 0 point in fiddling with the potential penalties as long as people know they won't get caught anyway.

And this is the most important point.
    Only been breathalysed twice in 20 years.
    People drink and drive because they have no fear of being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

The new law makes the owner of a car driven by an L driver unsupervised part of that offence and faces a fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Turner wrote: »
    The first the Gardai (Gardai out doing checkpoints and in patrol cars) heard of this new law was in the papers yesterday.

They have received no training or lectures on its implementation.

And dont forget, if they put handcuffs on you after your arrest you are more than likely to get off scott free

Joke of a system.

https://twitter.com/GRA_NR/status/1055578890788372480?s=19
    What do they have to know? The limits are the same as before, no? They have nothing to do with handing out bans and fines, which is what this law is about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

El Weirdo wrote: »
    What do they have to know? The limits are the same as before, no? They have nothing to do with handing out bans and fines, which is what this law is about.

They have to prosecute the case in the district court and most likely appeals court. And if they arrest while not fully knowing the law they can surely expect to find themselves up in the high or even Supreme Courts.

They need to know the new legislation if they are to enforece it.

They need training on practices and procedures, case law, scenarios prisoner management invluding handcuffing in light of recent cases.

But no they get nothing, apart from shane ross holding up a poster with the head of the rsa saying the new law is in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Newstalk have on their news headlines this morning that having just a half pint of beer will see drivers off the road if they are stopped now. Where is that coming from???
    Well, I suppose if you down the half pint in one, and get breathalised 10 mins later, (giving time for alcohol to enter the blood from the stomach) you could be over the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Turner wrote: »
    They have to prosecute the case in the district court and most likely appeals court. And if they arrest while not fully knowing the law they can surely expect to find themselves up in the high or even Supreme Courts.

They need to know the new legislation if they are to enforece it.

They need training on practices and procedures, case law, scenarios prisoner management invluding handcuffing in light of recent cases.

But no they get nothing, apart from shane ross holding up a poster with the head of the rsa saying the new law is in.

I don't get that. What has a guard to do different today than last week.? Once he arrests someone and charges them then the only difference is in the penalty the driver gets eventually?, or am I missing something?

Would you put your licence in the hands of some breathalyser you got off the interwebs? The only one that matters is the one the garda has and it'll be no defense to say the one you had at home said you were good to drive.

Well the alternative is putting your licence in the hands of guess work if you’ve had a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Masala wrote: »
    If you have to go to the pub ( say for a farewell gig/ quiet read of the paper/ catch a match) you always have a pint of Heineken Zero. No one will know the difference... and you safe driving home

Had a few cans recent,y as they on special offer and as a thirst quencher they were alright!!

hows the price normally of those zero type drinks compared to normal alcohol ? are they much dearer to buy.

Its the same with pubs charging extortionate prices for minerals and soft drinks - a lot of them are not making it easy for people not to drink sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

hows the price normally of those zero type drinks compared to normal alcohol ? are they much dearer to buy.

Its the same with pubs charging extortionate prices for minerals and soft drinks - a lot of them are not making it easy for people not to drink sometimes

I asked my Son who was out drinking during the week to ask while out and he said that the bar was charging €5 for a draught pint of Heineken Zero as a against €4.80 for the normal pint.

Am meeting wife in town later and might try a pint if stocked in the bar we meeting at. So.. will give a definitive answer later!

as I always say, we are in am era of fantastic electronic equipment now, and it could be linked to the cars mobilisation system - a tube (or sensor near the screen) if it detects alcohol from the breath then the engine doesnt start - simple as .

not foolproof I suppose but it could be a start. - cars could even have gyro sensors inside them that detect erratic unusual driving as well .

when you cannot rely on humans on following rules and keeping to them, then I suppose we have to enter the nanny state side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

as I always say, we are in am era of fantastic electronic equipment now, and it could be linked to the cars mobilisation system - a tube (or sensor near the screen) if it detects alcohol from the breath then the engine doesnt start - simple as .

not foolproof I suppose but it could be a start. - cars could even have gyro sensors inside them that detect erratic unusual driving as well .

when you cannot rely on humans on following rules and keeping to them, then I suppose we have to enter the nanny state side of things.

These already exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Chances of being caught during 3 month ban......slim to none

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Chances of being caught during 3 month ban......slim to none

would people be prepared to take the gamble? ...

here this (UK) advert might make people realise what could be at stake ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Ginger83

here this (UK) advert might make people realise what could be at stake ...

You'd need gardai to be worried about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

A couple of private bus operators here are using similar devices to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

I don't get that. What has a guard to do different today than last week.? Once he arrests someone and charges them then the only difference is in the penalty the driver gets eventually?, or am I missing something?

Nope, that's exactly it.

Gra just like nurses union will always make a mountain from a molehill

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Where can you buy an accurate breathalyzer?

I dont know how accurate this one might be from Micks Garage .. but its sold out anyway at the moment

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/driving-in-europe/products/2355016/basic-4-in-1-multifunction-alcohol-breath-tester?nostock=1

44001_50f297_c4c826.jpg

I noted on the page that it said it is law to have a breathalyzer in a car when you are driving in France - maybe be a good Idea to make it law to carry one in vehicles here too in Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Worth listening back to Matt Cooper Wednesday last word. Apparently it can be challenged. Can't explain the ins and outs of it.

Advertisement