Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home compatible house alarm?

Options
  • 25-10-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

I know there's a nest alarm, but it's not available here.

We have a standard wired alarm, but I was wondering if there's one available that's google home enabled that would allow for monitoring & control through phone and google home??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

OU812 wrote: »
    I know there's a nest alarm, but it's not available here.

We have a standard wired alarm, but I was wondering if there's one available that's google home enabled that would allow for monitoring & control through phone and google home??

Depends in what you are looking for.

Diy route or professional install ?

I have a comfort alarm system from cytech. Its not cheap though, and you would nearly need to be installing it yourself.

I have it integrated to google home, and it controls my lights etc, it has its own app, but also, a raspery pi interface is in the post as we speak, with node red built in, which opens a whole.world.of possibilities.

Its a high end system, but exceptionally reliable, I have it ten years or more (twenty if you exclude a panel upgrade I did ten years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Currently have a wired HKC alarm, if it was upgradeable, that'd be great, but I don't want a HKC upgrade with a monthly sub. Just something I can integrate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've mentioned this before, there are no really good options in the UK/Ireland market at the moment. The alarm system market is a very conservative one and I think this market will go through a lot of change over the next 2 or 3 years.

There are lots of interesting systems in the US, Nest, ADT SmartThings, Ring, etc. but non of those are here yet and they miss some key features that you would expect in an alrm in UK/Ireland.

I've come across one alarm system in Europe that works directly with Google, Alexa, IFTTT:
    http://www.smanos.com/K1

It looks very interesting and certainly has all the smart integrations you might want, but I had never heard of them, so I don't know if any good.

Yale is another one to keep an eye on. They have just released a new alarm system called Yale Sync, which works with Hue and Alexa. No Google support yet, it seems they have an exclusive deal with Amazon until the end of the year, after that I'm hoping they add Google support.

I've an older Yale Smart Alarm system and I have it working with Hue and also unofficially working with Google via some unofficial support via SmartThings. It isn't a perfect system, but I'm quiet happy with it as a stop gap until this market matures.

Like you, I've an old HKC system too and like you I'm not happy to upgrade it. HKC do make very good alarm systems, very well built, but they have completely fallen behind on technology and smart integrations and I agree that they have taken the wrong path on subs. I still have my hkc system, but I don't use it anymore. Interestingly, Yales parent company has recently bought HKC, so hopefully we might see some integration between them and improvements.

Advertisement