Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How should I choose to be taxed?

Options
  • 26-10-2018 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I've recently gotten married and Revenue is asking how I would like to be taxed- Joint Assessment, Separate Assessment or Separate Treatment.
    We both earn over 45000, so probably cant claim any credits for being married. We have no children yet.
    What would be the best option to have the least amount of taxation?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I've recently gotten married and Revenue is asking how I would like to be taxed- Joint Assessment, Separate Assessment or Separate Treatment.
    We both earn over 45000, so probably cant claim any credits for being married. We have no children yet.
    What would be the best option to have the least amount of taxation?

You are correct in that there's no taxation benefit to you currently as you are both using up your credits and rate bands at the moment. Opting for joint assessment now won't change anything currently if you leave your credits and rate band split 50/50. However opting for joint assessment allows you the flexibility to transfer credits and rate band in the future if your situation changes due to unemployment etc.

Advertisement