Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster vs Glasgow Warriors, Sat 27th Oct 5:15pm, Eir Sport 1

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Does ThreeRedKings post here?
    He's put a gif to me Bring Me Thanos line from Botha's run.

I know I'm not due any payment but I will take some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

razorblunt wrote: »
    Does ThreeRedKings post here?
    He's put a gif to me Bring Me Thanos line from Botha's run.

I know I'm not due any payment but I will take some.

He has been referring to Botha as Thor and all opponents as Thanos since the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    He has been referring to Botha as Thor and all opponents as Thanos since the start of the season.

I was being facetious, Tom!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster are winning games purely down to the talent of the squad. Their coaching team is letting them down big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I guess that result guess about keeps us just about alive in winning conference A. Although a 4-2 isn't great, it is much better than 0-5

Yet another good result following a poor performance. considering the two teams that were put out I would have expected better from Munster

Scrum is a total lottery this year with Munster, never know what to expect from scrum to scrum.

We had a 5m scrum right underneath the posts in the first half where we got a good shove, too good a shove and Stander was struggling to control the ball at the base, was a situation where you want to scrum half to take it off him, but Alby had already drifted off left in a pre-planned move, and we lost control of the ball.

Lineout was good, the defensive lineout is such an asset. POM got another two steals I think.

Some very unstructured play where players didn't seem they knew what they were doing, looked like pass the parcel.

A lot of our kick choices and execution were pretty poor

Glasgow played well, Put us under real pressure from restarts and exposed us on kick transition several times.

They will probably feel they left behind a try or two along with points from the kicking tee.

Special mention to Keith Earls who looked really sharp coming back from injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Glasgow didn't score in the first 20 or the last 20 mins of the game and they got two breakaway tries, one with a possible forward pass. They might feel aggrieved but they were a tad lucky at times too.

Munster possibly got our of jail a bit but they worked damn hard to get back into that game and in the end did enough to win it.

The breakdown was a lottery but I felt Glasgow got the better of us even if I felt they were illegal at times they did enough without being penalised which you have to admire from a team.

I enjoyed the game on what was a bitterly cold evening in Thomond Park.

phog wrote: »
    Glasgow didn't score in the first 20 or the last 20 mins of the game and they got two breakaway tries, one with a possible forward pass. They might feel aggrieved but they were a tad lucky at times too.

Munster possibly got our of jail a bit but they worked damn hard to get back into that game and in the end did enough to win it.

The breakdown was a lottery but I felt Glasgow got the better of us even if I felt they were illegal at times they did enough without being penalised which you have to admire from a team.

I enjoyed the game on what was a bitterly cold evening in Thomond Park.

I agree with most of this post but I thought Munster made absolute sh!t of the breakdown. Glasgow could not build any pressure at all and the more they held onto the ball the slower it got. Stander put in a mental shift, wasn't trying to turnover the ball, but he got to a serious number of breakdowns to compete and slow.

The problem for Munster is that Glasgow despite being under pressure in possession were still able to pick out gaps and they converted line breaks into scores with good creative and composed back play.

I would say that as opportunistic as some of Glasgow's scores were, it was Munster who were largely lucky with officiating in the final quarter because to be honest I thought ye looked fresh out of ideas.

What a game though, test level intensity throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That for me was one the more enjoyable pro 14 games I've seen... Not perfect but enthralling from the off. Two different styles going at it.

Glasgow are very reflective of what Scotland are doing (and vice versa) - the ability to counter off turnover ball at such speed was special. Scoring tries from what would seem like relatively contained situations. Serious pace and handling skills.

But Munster dug deep and found a way to win it. That was a special kick by Scannell. Bisected the post from half way - with what looked to me a very short run up.

That type of win can do wonders for a team - a win in those circumstances where you can still point to an ocean of things to improve upon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

I agree with most of this post but I thought Munster made absolute sh!t of the breakdown. Glasgow could not build any pressure at all and the more they held onto the ball the slower it got. Stander put in a mental shift, wasn't trying to turnover the ball, but he got to a serious number of breakdowns to compete and slow.

The problem for Munster is that Glasgow despite being under pressure in possession were still able to pick out gaps and they converted line breaks into scores with good creative and composed back play.

I would say that as opportunistic as some of Glasgow's scores were, it was Munster who were largely lucky with officiating in the final quarter because to be honest I thought ye looked fresh out of ideas.

What a game though, test level intensity throughout.

I'm not going to go through the game frame by frame but Glasgow were well capable of slowing down Munster ball, their tackler conveniently falling at our side of the ruck, slow to roll away. Iirc, there was only one penalty for not rolling away and that was against Munster. Their 2nd or 3rd arriver to the ruck invariably came in from the side and their first or 2nd arriver usually tried to take out one of support players.

If I was a Glasgow fan I'm sure I could find loads to moan about but that probably means the ref was consistent in ignoring a lot of the illegals, he certainly didn't just start in the last 20mins.

phog wrote: »
    I'm not going to go through the game frame by frame but Glasgow were well capable of slowing down Munster ball, their tackler conveniently falling at our side of the ruck, slow to roll away. Iirc, there was only one penalty for not rolling away and that was against Munster. Their 2nd or 3rd arriver to the ruck invariably came in from the side and their first or 2nd arriver usually tried to take out one of support players.

If I was a Glasgow fan I'm sure I could find loads to moan about but that probably means the ref was consistent in ignoring a lot of the illegals, he certainly didn't just start in the last 20mins.

I'm not trying to throw the result into disrepute - it was a terrific win for Munster and I'm not suggesting they were illegal at the breakdown either, they were just incredibly hard working.

Both sides played with plenty of cynicism as you would expect but I thought whilst Munster worked harder and were more effective in defence, poor errors at critical times were capitalised handsomely by Glasgow and they should have been able to close the game out with 20 to go.

Their discipline cost them in the end and credit to Munster for putting them under serious pressure, but Munster needed that avenue back into the game.

To put it another way, I think Glasgow can only blame Glasgow for losing the way they did, Munster looked a bit toothless throughout the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Looking at the stats... Glasgow - for all their free-scoring, Munster made a similar amount of metres off less ball. Also had more clean breaks.

The pack were very good in defence almost all of them into double figures
    CJ 21 tackles (1 missed), Billy H 19/0, Kleyn, 14/0, POM 11/3, Cronin 11/1. Botha was 10/1! Very impressive when he came on.

I'd love to see POM's turnovers won and lineouts stolen stats for the season so far - he's been an absolute menace for the opposition on the ground and in the air this season. He must be averaging 2 lineouts robbed a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Just to add: tis funny how the stats can skew your perceptions. My take on us this season so far is our defence isn't great and our attack isn't functioning to what it could/should be.

But looking at the Pro14 tables, we've the second best Tries For (1 behind Glasgow, 3 ahead of Leinster) and joint-second best defence (on 16 conceded, Leinster way out ahead of everyone on 11 conceded). I guess you'd have to look at the breakdown of who is scoring the tries

In spite of the above, I think we're very much a mixed bag this season though, recent form has been a bit more promising but will be interesting to see how we got on before the next round of the Heineken.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

leakyboots wrote: »
    will be interesting to see how we got on before the next round of the Heineken.

Cheetahs, Zebre and Edinburgh, with the internationals probably not available again until we play Castres. I doubt we'll learn much tbh.

Advertisement