Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Commute: What do you wear?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

passed a few lads this morning in shorts; i was happy enough in by bib leggings, but slightly overdressed up top, thought the temp was going to be in the 2-4C range but it was up about 6-8C i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sorry I should have clarified that, if you're commuting daily, it's worth getting a pair of winter cycling boots so no need to use overshoes. Boots are much warmer and more waterproof than shoes+overshoes. Also, if stopping regularly at lights/junctions, overshoes tend to wear away quickly.

Any recommendations on the winter boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

silverharp wrote: »
    for me feet arent a problem, im still wearing sandals and normal socks, stops me feeling like im going to overheat. im guessig feet dont get the wind chill in the way hands do

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gerry wrote: »
    Any recommendations on the winter boots?
    I use the Shimano Gortex and I'm going into my 3rd winter on them. I haven't used any others so I can't compare but several club mates have the Northwave ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Im on my second pair of Shimano spd shoes , I think they are fantastic so I'll look up some Shimano boots, thanks

• Advertisement

Gerry wrote: »
    Im on my second pair of Shimano spd shoes , I think they are fantastic so I'll look up some Shimano boots, thanks

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-mw7-gore-tex-mtb-spd-winter-boots-aw17/rp-prod138004?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Really?

You can never find the fashion police when you need them

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Upper body
    Decent quality t-shirt or shirt that wicks away moisture
    High vis rain jacket
    Base layer if it's really freezing
    Seal skinz water proof gloves - only got them recently, seem to be brilliant including easy to take on and off during the commute if I need to

Lower Body
    Normal jocks, leggings, loose fit cycling shorts
    Decent socks are a big one for me - woolie boolie are great but pricey
    I also got these 2.5mm neoprene bootie things that go over your toes, inside the shoe. Keep feet and especially toes really toasty where they used to get pretty cold - highly recommend - https://www.amazon.com/Meister-Thermal-Neoprene-Booties-Cycling/dp/B00QW10XIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Really?

SPD sandals year round for me. Sealskinz waterproof socks in the winter, multiple socks in the cold, barefoot in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

This morning I took this out for the first time this year. Great for keeping the ears warm. No arm warmers though and still in autumn gloves. No need for teh really warm ones yet.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/roadr-100-neck-warmer-id_8402964.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

GAA shorts.
    Underwear is optional (it seems)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A pair of winter cycling boots, a winter jacket, bib tights and gloves should do the trick. No need for those skull caps, neck buffs, ski masks, shoe covers etc.
    each to their own, I do not wear anything different on my feet, and very rarely wear a jacket. If my hands and head are warm enough I am comfortable. I have balaclavas, sometimes wear a second thin one on the first, and a hat, and thick "lobster mits" similar to these.
    salewa-himalayan-tw-lobster-gloves.jpg

I wear a backpack on my front so that is like a partial jacket I suppose.

I had an old beanie hat that I cut the stitches out of and can use around my neck.

Fian wrote: »
    This morning I took this out for the first time this year. Great for keeping the ears warm. No arm warmers though...
    No arm warmers this morning? Bare arms? :eek:

It was minus 4 degrees at Blake's Cross at 6am on my commute this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Fleece Lined Jersey and Bibs, plus jacket this morning for me on the body. Belgian Cap for head, buff neck, and the Galibier Barrier Deep Winter Gloves (which weren't enough, judging by the fumbling locking the bike).

I really don't cope with the cold like Fat Macy used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Cold today, frost on ground, roads were wet looking and wasn't taking any chances. Tyres deflated to 70 psi..

Thermal long sleeve vest, thermal jacket, overshoes, neckwarmer over ears mouth and nose. Would have worn 2 sets of leggings if I could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Christ on a bike, I must run very warm.

Just SPD shoes (Shimano AM45, they are mountainbike shoes and slightly on the heavy side but I'm not racing anyone so they are grand)
    Shorts
    Nike running tshirt
    A high vis shell (provis 360)
    and light gloves (giro dnd)

By 3 km in I was rolling up the jacket sleeves to cool down.
    I do also have a backpack, that seems to make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

coward wrote: »
    I use a Nike hood.. almost like a balaclava! I don't like my nose or mouth covered as it just gets wet from moisture in your breath. With the Nike yolk you can pull the front bit down past your mouth or even to under your chin if it's too warm. My favourite bit of gear in winter!

nike-black-white-pro-combat-hyperwarm-hydropull-hood-black-product-0-692309506-normal.jpeg

I got a chuckle at the idea of someone called 'Coward' hiding behind a bally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

The essentials for me in cold weather are decent socks (I like the merino bridgedale ones), an ice breaker skull cap (bloody love that hat, its superb), heavy shoe covers, and decent gloves (galibier barrier winter ones are great for the cold tho not really waterproof), along with a neckscarf to pull over the mouth.
    I've skins skiing baselayer bottoms and top that I have years now, really good stuff and superb in winter. I find the bottoms under regular bib shorts to be better than full length tights.
    With the decent baselayer, any jacket over that tends to be fine. Cold weather is fine once you warm up, its a cold northerly wind on top that really makes it unpleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I have a hoodie on under my hi-vis and that's about it for adding on extra layers. I did find this morning that i got a bit cold when i repeatedly had to pull up at traffic lights.

I'd usually be a bit luckier with the sequences, but this morning everything was against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

steamsey wrote: »
    Upper body
    Decent quality t-shirt or shirt that wicks away moisture
    High vis rain jacket
    Base layer if it's really freezing
    Seal skinz water proof gloves - only got them recently, seem to be brilliant including easy to take on and off during the commute if I need to

Lower Body
    Normal jocks, leggings, loose fit cycling shorts
    Decent socks are a big one for me - woolie boolie are great but pricey
    I also got these 2.5mm neoprene bootie things that go over your toes, inside the shoe. Keep feet and especially toes really toasty where they used to get pretty cold - highly recommend - https://www.amazon.com/Meister-Thermal-Neoprene-Booties-Cycling/dp/B00QW10XIA

Normal jocks ...... really !! Jocks and cycling gear..... a major NO NO

• Advertisement

I avoid lycra, wear light waterproofs over regular clothing as necessary. For colder days hat under helmet, scarf and gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

This morning was pretty cold (-5 for a bit) .

I wore Cotton cap, L/S base layer, Bib tights, Winter Socks, Winter Jacket, Shoe Covers (Sealskin Cotton/windproof) and winter gloves.

Really regretted not wearing a warmer hat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Vote here for proper winter boots over shoe covers, so much better in my opinion , I've delicate feet :-)

I've specialized defrosters but I'm sure any of the other brands are just as good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Decent socks are the only change I make to my summer attire.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

CramCycle wrote:
    Decent socks are the only change I make to my summer attire.

Really?

So still riding with lower legs and forearms exposed? Are you in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Really?

I did so yesterday on my cycle home. Really need to have thicker socks on the way in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Mc Love wrote: »
    I did so yesterday on my cycle home. Really need to have thicker socks on the way in though.
    Have to say, regretted not having more options for the way home. The Fleece was needed going in, but even minus jacket/ gloves/ cap was overkill for the way home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Really?

Bray to Donnybrook daily. Yesterday was not great but a rarity. I have a backpack and a thin jacket all the time, just winter socks.

EDIT: Just looked at Strava, average temperature was 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

One of the things I like about winter clothing is I can wear "normal" socks which can't be seen because of my overshoes do I don't feel like a troglodyte. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

double posting

Advertisement