Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a "humane" bank referral

Options
  • 26-10-2018 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

So, I am facing a difficult situation in which I tried to apply for a loan from AIB. I don't want to go into the details as it is personal. And even though I am a mortgage free home owner, have a well paying job and no other loans or open credits, I've been refused. So I tried to talk to them about my situation, asking them if there is any other options, anything I could do and the answer was basically "Computer says no". I am sick of how banks treat people nowadays and am wondering, if anyone knows of any bank that still treats people like humans? I am looking into Credit Union for my loan now, but apart from that, I don't want to give my money to a bank that treats me like a number rather than a person. Is there any bank like that in existence anymore or is this the new "way of banking"? I do understand that I can't have a personal advisor who knows me and my dogs name and all of that jazz anymore and that banks have changed through time. And its not even about the loan rejection; but the way they treat people nowadays is absolutely disgusting.:mad::(

Any tipps appreciated.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

No such thing I would say, your best bet for a more personal service is the credit union, some but not all take a more overall view of their customer other than a computerised answer for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

So you want a service that ignores the issues that prevent you accessing credit and gives you money on the faith of your character?

Have you checked your credit record to see if you can improve it?

There's services available for people who've been refused mortgages and loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Kayce

So you want a service that ignores the issues that prevent you accessing credit and gives you money on the faith of your character?

Have you checked your credit record to see if you can improve it?

There's services available for people who've been refused mortgages and loans.

No, I am looking for a humane treatment. As said, being refused is one thing, but being treated like a faceless number with a " couldn't care less" attitude another. When I was younger banks were a lot more personal, friendly and empathetic. Even if you got refused something they were treating you like a human. But I guess those times are over...

Although finding the customer service in credit union refreshing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Kayce wrote: »
    No, I am looking for a humane treatment. As said, being refused is one thing, but being treated like a faceless number with a " couldn't care less" attitude another. When I was younger banks were a lot more personal, friendly and empathetic. Even if you got refused something they were treating you like a human. But I guess those times are over...

Although finding the customer service in credit union refreshing.

K.B.C. are very good when it comes to customer service, as they are smaller players in the Irish context. They will actually chat with you, unlike the other bank workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

And even though I am a mortgage free home owner, have a well paying job and no other loans or open credits, I've been refused.

I'm guessing this is part of the problem. No borrowing history so no record of repayment. its a bit stupid chicken & egg situation on their side.

Best thing to do is get a credit card. Use if for things like food shopping/petrol & pay it off in full every month. That will build a credit history.

***I know I'm making an assumption here, but based off what you have said it would seem to be the case. If not & you've been told otherwise let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

All of this costs money, how much are you willing to pay in fees? Based on your description of your banking activities it is clear you are costing the bank money, that is the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And even though I am a mortgage free home owner, have a well paying job and no other loans or open credits, I've been refused.
    I'm guessing that you have low to no savings with them? Most places need you to have a percentage of savings if you want to borrow a large loan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The banks are not interested in anyone with less than €100k turnover in their account every year. If you are not in that category, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm guessing that you have low to no savings with them? Most places need you to have a percentage of savings if you want to borrow a large loan.

Nope. When I applied for a mortgage. Had no loan history and even though I only bank with one company. All of them were will willing to give me a mortgage. It’s not based on loyalty. It’s all about affordability.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fol20 wrote: »
    Nope. When I applied for a mortgage. Had no loan history and even though I only bank with one company. All of them were will willing to give me a mortgage. It’s not based on loyalty. It’s all about affordability.
    When I was applying for a loan in a CU, they needed X amount in my account, and it'd be locked into my account until a percentage of the loan was paid off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

the_syco wrote: »
    When I was applying for a loan in a CU, they needed X amount in my account, and it'd be locked into my account until a percentage of the loan was paid off.

The CUs operate differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Kayce

I actually had savings (a couple of thousand) in my account and a history of saving with the bank. In any case... I went to CU, got a loan and the cash in my account within 1 week, no issue at all. Also way lower APR than bank, so I'd say it turned out pretty well ^^. I still dislike banks and their robotic treatment of people.. If cu had debit/credit cards I would completely change to them.. But hopefully that will come at some time in the future..

Thank you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The banks are not interested in anyone with less than €100k turnover in their account every year. If you are not in that category, forget it.

Stupid post is stupid

Advertisement