Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Knine wrote: »
    I'm hiding from the kids & dogs trying to eat a packet of crisps & our Indian Ringneck keeps making Wolf Whistle Noises at me, followed by my Parrotlet saying " Gimme a Kiss" & making kissy noises, then cursing in Hungarian. I feel like I am in a mad house! :D

I get all the other bits, but where did parrot let learn Hungarian?
    You have a bilingual parrot let 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

mymo wrote: »
    I get all the other bits, but where did parrot let learn Hungarian?
    You have a bilingual parrot let ��

My neighbour lol. He helps with them if I am away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Made my 15 year old cat's day y'day..

I had forgotten how he loved cheese; since being here the cats are outside by their choice far more than before so he has not been around when I have been cooking etc

Was grating cheese y'day and there was a small chunk over.. So I remembered his cheese craze and set it aside.. When he had eaten his cat food and was crying to go out, I tossed the cheese to him.

OH MY ! He lit up, devoured it - after a vocalisation I usually hear from a kitten.. YOU know? " YUM YUM YUM! " Great bright eyes...

So now cheese is back on his list!

Selkie today decided to add being a limpet to her repertoire. This is the tiny, shiny black part Oriental rescue. With a very loud oriental voice and a love of climbing up my back... and a long thin whip of a tail that is out of all proportion to her size and is utterly expressive.

She infiltrated my bed, curling up by my legs. purring and head butting. Then did the same under one elbow and slept deeply. Stayed in touch all morning and most of the afternoon, settled, safe, utterly content.

This is all new... so full of life and love.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Anyone want a lurcher? He's very handsome, with a penetrating bark. Which he started with at 2:30 this morning. After settling him several times I gave up trying to sleep at 5. Today is going to be fun.

And to cap it all the baby has slept through the night for only the 4th time ever. I should have been blissfully in the land of nod aaaalllllll night and instead I've been swearing at a neurotic sighthound for the last 5 hours.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Anyone want a lurcher? He's very handsome, with a penetrating bark. Which he started with at 2:30 this morning. After settling him several times I gave up trying to sleep at 5. Today is going to be fun.

And to cap it all the baby has slept through the night for only the 4th time ever. I should have been blissfully in the land of nod aaaalllllll night and instead I've been swearing at a neurotic sighthound for the last 5 hours.

((HUGS))

Nothing worse than lack of sleep.....

Nipped out for a swift berry-picking walk before the gale hit out here. Leaving Boycat fast asleep in the kitchen and as I thought, the door closed.

Just as I was realising it was starting, out he comes, giving out to me to COME IN! Nattering at speed. Amazing...

a slow wander to the nearby shore early today, picking blackberries as I went.

It is a deserted, utterly silent place; sandy, and at low tide as then, vast expanses of exposed sand.

Of course 4 of the cats were with me, and the three young ones love it there! Off they raced, across seaweed and sand, running free in sheer zest and joyful living. Smiling as I type this! Such a sight of joy it was. Tails like flags..

Young street rescues; safe here because my dog and a beloved old cat died the same weekend. My need met their need and the result is a beauty and a deep joy.

This morning is one that will live in my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Beautiful Graces. My fella is asleep on my lap wrapped in fleecy pj bottoms. Had to give him a bath after he rolled in something stinky on his little walk today. Bless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I finished stripping my border terrier today and he looks like he has a neck again. I may have let him get a little overgrown. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I have sent in an application to adopt a little senior dog. Haven't heard anything yet. Nerves are shot lol.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    I have sent in an application to adopt a little senior dog. Haven't heard anything yet. Nerves are shot lol.

Awww good luck VonVix! Recently took on a (big) senior dog myself and I'm absolutely smitten with her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Awww good luck VonVix! Recently took on a (big) senior dog myself and I'm absolutely smitten with her!!

I wasn't even looking for another dog, my friend forwarded it onto me because it's my "heart breed" (if you will) that you don't see come up in rescue too often. We all pretty much melted at the sight of her photo. That said, every time I have come across a dog over the years that I have put my foot forward about, I've ended up not being a successful applicant. I often think it's because people think I'm not old enough (I'm 30... but often mistaken for a 18 year old...) and just a kid wanting a cute dog or something like that.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    I wasn't even looking for another dog, my friend forwarded it onto me because it's my "heart breed" (if you will) that you don't see come up in rescue too often. We all pretty much melted at the sight of her photo. That said, every time I have come across a dog over the years that I have put my foot forward about, I've ended up not being a successful applicant. I often think it's because people think I'm not old enough (I'm 30... but often mistaken for a 18 year old...) and just a kid wanting a cute dog or something like that.

I've gotten that in the past when I've rang rescues to enquire about a dog. I sound young on the phone and they just said an outright no without chatting to me! :D Well good luck! And pics if you get her of course!

Taiga wrote: »
    Beautiful Graces. My fella is asleep on my lap wrapped in fleecy pj bottoms. Had to give him a bath after he rolled in something stinky on his little walk today. Bless.

Thank you. I am so very blessed. Never knew cats could run as fast as these do! Speed of light. Loving the outdoors and safe in this small world.

Your wee one is lovely! They darn the holes in our hearts.

"the cat sat on the mat" takes on new meaning here. Abed at present and fit only for easy knitting and a huge box of yarn oddments came in from Springwools. I worked a thick , big square using the small oddments that were not any use for anything else …. multicoloured..

As soon as I put it on the floor, Jacob cat claimed it and spends all his rest time on it. Fits him perfectly and of course it will have my scent on it. More mats in the making...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

My tiny Sparrow sized Parrot just told me to " Shut up" Anyone know if there is a Parrot Pound I can drop him off to? :pac:

Knine wrote: »
    My tiny Sparrow sized Parrot just told me to " Shut up" Anyone know if there is a Parrot Pound I can drop him off to? :pac:

Maybe the parrot version of "small man syndrome" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Wosers the cow snouts are stinky but the dogs are in their beds having a right good chew!!!

em_cat wrote: »
    Wosers the cow snouts are stinky but the dogs are in their beds having a right good chew!!!

No idea what this post is about!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Unbelievably given where I live ie a small isolated island, a brace of JWs arrived at my LOCKED gate y'day.

My cats usually hide if anyone is around but 2 of them insisted on patrolling... Keeping an eye on them....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Graces7 wrote: »
    No idea what this post is about!!!!!!

Chewy treats for dogs lol :p

tk123 wrote: »
    Chewy treats for dogs lol :p

They loved them, hubby poo walks Mr C when he gets home in the evening, he said it was like being pulled by a tiny Ox so Mr C could get back to his snout.... :) Had to air the place out after tho...

Remember "scaredy-cat"? The new wee one who was totally terrified and traumatised?

Her new trick is to cry out at the top of her considerable voice, repeatedly and urgently, staring at me with the biggest, brightest green eyes you ever saw. Following me round. No idea what she is saying!

Was at Sunday diner at the in-laws, next door neighbour has this 9-10 mos old french bull terrier that probably will never step foot out of his house again :(. He was over at the green and bolted into my in-laws hallway as my OH was taking Mr C out to the car, needless to say Mr C had a meltdown :(

Esmae intercepted the frenchie, muzzle pushed him straight back out the door and literally fecked him into the front garden like a stuffed toy and calmly came back & laid down at my feet:) I’ve to say I was rather impressed.

abed with three of the cats! Two, the young boy and one of the black girls., are lying belly to belly, legs wrapped round each other.. Jacob overcame his terror of the young male to crawl up the bed to me, and after trying his best to get inside me, is curled up snoring on my shoulder.

CATS! Love them!

One of the rescues is after putting up collie German Shepherd mix puppies on their FB. Be still my beating heart. I want one so bad!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Got to love a great groomer. Our schnauzer gets the works and our JRT gets nails glands etc done. We use a mobile groomer. Our JRT is very nervous, does not like people coming into our house and certainly doesn't enjoy being picked up. He also had quite a few negative experiences with another groomer who managed to cut the quick almost every time.
    Our groomer that we use now can walk into our house, he goes to greet her and has no problem being lifted in or out of the van by her. She was so patient with him the first few times that she came and spent time down on the floor waiting for him to approach her etc.
    It's so lovely to see him become comfortable around someone even when he knows that there's something not particularly enjoyable about to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Teeny signs of progress with shy cat #2 in our house over the past few days. Has been waiting at the door mewing for food in the morning when we get up, but still runs behind the couch when we open the door though. She'll come out to gobble up breakfast within about 30 seconds of me closing the door on her so that's promising. She's associating us with the breakfast in the mornings.
    And last night I managed to slowly push some dreamies towards her which she actually ate while I was watching. I put my hand out for her to sniff and still no progress there so I left her be. I think she desperately wants to trust us but is just still hanging on to that fear and can't let go yet. I am so encouraged though.

• Advertisement

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Teeny signs of progress with shy cat #2 in our house over the past few days. Has been waiting at the door mewing for food in the morning when we get up, but still runs behind the couch when we open the door though. She'll come out to gobble up breakfast within about 30 seconds of me closing the door on her so that's promising. She's associating us with the breakfast in the mornings.
    And last night I managed to slowly push some dreamies towards her which she actually ate while I was watching. I put my hand out for her to sniff and still no progress there so I left her be. I think she desperately wants to trust us but is just still hanging on to that fear and can't let go yet. I am so encouraged though.

Been there and still sometimes there with my newbies. One especially who comes on in huge steps now. A wonderful time.

Advertisement