Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Teeny signs of progress with shy cat #2 in our house over the past few days. Has been waiting at the door mewing for food in the morning when we get up, but still runs behind the couch when we open the door though. She'll come out to gobble up breakfast within about 30 seconds of me closing the door on her so that's promising. She's associating us with the breakfast in the mornings.
    And last night I managed to slowly push some dreamies towards her which she actually ate while I was watching. I put my hand out for her to sniff and still no progress there so I left her be. I think she desperately wants to trust us but is just still hanging on to that fear and can't let go yet. I am so encouraged though.

You have great patience Molly, fair play. Have you tried any toys? He might be tempted out to play by one of the (name escapes me) sticks with a long string and a feather or something on the end. Very hard for them to resist and if your just trailing it slowly around it won't be too near you. He might just come out to investigate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

You have great patience Molly, fair play. Have you tried any toys? He might be tempted out to play by one of the (name escapes me) sticks with a long string and a feather or something on the end. Very hard for them to resist and if your just trailing it slowly around it won't be fy

That's actually what the stick was that I was pushing the treats towards her with. It was a feather toy and I did actually try swishing it around to see if she'd be interested in it. She was watching it intently but didn't move.

We have her 6 weeks now and patience is NOT my forte so this is so difficult. She's obviously had a tough time though and we're determined to make her love us cos this is her forever home now.

(If she wants to spend the rest of her days hiding from us though that's ok too :()

That's actually what the stick was that I was pushing the treats towards her with. It was a feather toy and I did actually try swishing it around to see if she'd be interested in it. She was watching it intently but didn't move.

We have her 6 weeks now and patience is NOT my forte so this is so difficult. She's obviously had a tough time though and we're determined to make her love us cos this is her forever home now.

(If she wants to spend the rest of her days hiding from us though that's ok too :()

I'm far from an expert but I think 6 weeks is an awful long time. I mentioned to you on another forum I went through this with one of my cats who had almost zero human contact before we got him but it took nowhere near this long. I wonder if it's time to give her a little push of some sort. How long did you trail the stick about? I was gonna say you'd probably have a sore arm by the time she works up the nerve to pounce. Have you tried staying in the room while she eats? There has to be something that will encourage her to spend time near you in the open.

I'm far from an expert but I think 6 weeks is an awful long time. I mentioned to you on another forum I went through this with one of my cats who had almost zero human contact before we got him but it took nowhere near this long. I wonder if it's time to give her a little push of some sort. How long did you trail the stick about? I was gonna say you'd probably have a sore arm by the time she works up the nerve to pounce. Have you tried staying in the room while she eats? There has to be something that will encourage her to spend time near you in the open.

We've both (at different times) spent upwards of 2 hours in the room with her after leaving out food. She WILL NOT come out while we're there. At the weekend my husband left her out her food in the morning and left the door ajar and sat at the far end of the hallway. She came out, stuck her nose around the door, and as soon as she saw him she was back behind the couch. He sat there for at least 2 hours before giving up.

We've spoken to our vet about it and she's suggested some calming capsules that you can put in their food? We've forgotten the name of the damn things by the time we got home but I've been googling and I think we might try these ones. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Calming-Tablets-Dogs-Cats/dp/B00UJWBNNW/ref=sr_1_4?adgrpid=53584194143&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3avx1cDI5AIVg7HtCh2B3ALnEAAYASAAEgKCNvD_BwE&hvadid=267245896526&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045202&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17752299968543992428&hvtargid=kwd-458435367243&hydadcr=7194_1741757&keywords=calming+cat+tablets&qid=1568195937&s=gateway&sr=8-4

We already have the feliway diffuser but she thought these might calm her down even more. The adoption centre did say she was very very timid when we picked her up and said at least a month for her to get used to us. So we're not toooooooooooo worried.

We've both (at different times) spent upwards of 2 hours in the room with her after leaving out food. She WILL NOT come out while we're there. At the weekend my husband left her out her food in the morning and left the door ajar and sat at the far end of the hallway. She came out, stuck her nose around the door, and as soon as she saw him she was back behind the couch. He sat there for at least 2 hours before giving up.

We've spoken to our vet about it and she's suggested some calming capsules that you can put in their food? We've forgotten the name of the damn things by the time we got home but I've been googling and I think we might try these ones. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Calming-Tablets-Dogs-Cats/dp/B00UJWBNNW/ref=sr_1_4?adgrpid=53584194143&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3avx1cDI5AIVg7HtCh2B3ALnEAAYASAAEgKCNvD_BwE&hvadid=267245896526&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045202&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17752299968543992428&hvtargid=kwd-458435367243&hydadcr=7194_1741757&keywords=calming+cat+tablets&qid=1568195937&s=gateway&sr=8-4

We already have the feliway diffuser but she thought these might calm her down even more. The adoption centre did say she was very very timid when we picked her up and said at least a month for her to get used to us. So we're not toooooooooooo worried.

The urge to cuddle a kitten is so strong, I'm in actual awe of your emotional strength! If the rescue said that then they know their stuff so your probably right not to be too worried. I wouldn't know the first thing about the tablets. If you start a thread you'll no doubt get a bunch of unhelpful but well meant replies (like mine ;) ) but you might also get some fantastic cat people like sillymangoX with some good ideas.

• Advertisement

Oh she is so gorgeous it is taking all my willpower not to touch her believe me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It took several months for my new ex street cat to make approaches. She can still revert to timitidity and will freeze when petted at times. You are doing fine.. probably she will suddenly one day capitulate as Bella did re doors. Spent an hour one day standing with her as she fought her terror of indoors; we think she had been trapped? After that she would sometimes pause, gather her courage then rush in! Now she wails outside to be let in in ! As you know has to be at her pace. She is still happier to play and follow me outdoors.

Today another step forward for Bella. Instead of running up down near the door to be let out then diving out, she actually cried and cried and reared up against the door to try to open it herself... rattled the handle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Ah time and patience, the only thing for those scardey cats!! I know you said you have been using feliway which is great, but I’ve found good results with PetRemedy spray. Mainly because it contains lovely stinky valerian which most cats love more than catnip!! I also found using very smelly lovely high value food great for encouraging kittens to come towards you, within two weeks I had the last batch of ferals eating tinned sardines from my hand. But if you can, make sure you’re in the room when this excellent reward comes along so she associates it with you. And try keeping playing with her even more, even if she won’t pounce yet, cats tend to forget they’re so scared when they’re in hunt mode ;)

My own three babies are gone off to the Cattery for a week today :o I absolutely love the fact they have a webcam so I can check in on them. Moose is perched happily on a shelf, and Peaches and Cream are snuggled together in their cat carrier!

My new dog (an elderly golden retriever) never lived with other dogs before. She initially just mostly ignored my two. But bit by bit she's warmed to them. She follows me around and until now is always right under my feet when I'm sitting but right now she's lying snuggled beside Khali instead of me and I'm delighted. All my animals know if I'm not giving them cuddles or attention they can go to each other for it. Dogs and cats alike. I'm glad shes starting to see that too.

• Advertisement

Sheer summer bliss; three of the cats followed me to the back field, bright sun, blue ocean, sweet wind and watching them race and leap in sheer joy and health... Happy cats; happy me..

We bought our own house in May, so we could finally get our own dog! Renting was so tough with my budgies and two cats, we responsibly waited until we are the landlords before adding a pooch to the family. We did some time consuming things like getting married in between, but the day came and that day was Saturday! We brought home our eight week old baby Frasier. He travelled on my husband's lap two hours home. He was too little to put his front paws on the couch. Yesterday was Sunday and he was putting both front legs on the couch. Today he climbed over a 60cm barrier. He's growing like a weed. Haven't ruled out that he's not a chocolate Newfie, he could be a bear cub.

We are so much in love! Would be nice to sleep soon though.

Congratulations Budgese.. on the house, the marriage and of course, most importantly, your puppy!

Budgese you know it’s the height of rudeness to mention a new puppy and not provide pictures for us all to fawn over :D

We picked up the 3 kitties from their holiday in the cattery today, and they didn’t want to come home!! Moose was running around like he owned the place :pac:
    If anyone needs a recommendation for a cattery in the Galway/Clare region, id be happy to pass on details over PM :D

Budgese you know it’s the height of rudeness to mention a new puppy and not provide pictures for us all to fawn over :D

We picked up the 3 kitties from their holiday in the cattery today, and they didn’t want to come home!! Moose was running around like he owned the place :pac:
    If anyone needs a recommendation for a cattery in the Galway/Clare region, id be happy to pass on details over PM :D

I saw pics of moose on their instagram. He's pretty unique so I figured it had to be your fella. My God, he is such a stunner! Just gorgeous! That cattery looks beautiful and absolutely immaculate. The cats always look happy out in photos and Moose was no exception! Happy to see you'd recommend it because I've thought I'd actually travel up to it (even though I'm nowhere near there) because it's looks pure luxury.

I saw pics of moose on their instagram. He's pretty unique so I figured it had to be your fella. My God, he is such a stunner! Just gorgeous! That cattery looks beautiful and absolutely immaculate. The cats always look happy out in photos and Moose was no exception! Happy to see you'd recommend it because I've thought I'd actually travel up to it (even though I'm nowhere near there) because it's looks pure luxury.

It’s just over an hours drive from where we are, and so worth it compared to other places we went to see before deciding on somewhere! Honestly couldn’t find a nicer place than this :D it’s so clean and airy, the one major thing I noticed when we we’ve been there is that despite the number of cats in the place at a given time, there’s absolutely no hint of a smell around the place. And having access to an outdoor run like they’re used to at home was a major plus too!

It’s just over an hours drive from where we are, and so worth it compared to other places we went to see before deciding on somewhere! Honestly couldn’t find a nicer place than this :D it’s so clean and airy, the one major thing I noticed when we we’ve been there is that despite the number of cats in the place at a given time, there’s absolutely no hint of a smell around the place. And having access to an outdoor run like they’re used to at home was a major plus too!

The outdoor run is fab! I'm so glad it's as nice in real life as it is on Instagram (rarely the case with anything on Instagram :D ) because I love looking at their photos and all the cute guests.

We met a little Bernese puppy at the beach this evening, out on his first walk! He was just the cutest little floofy ball of fluffiness! There was no other dogs around but Khali let him give her a lovely little sniffing so he had a lovely positive interaction on his first walkies. Ah god puppies are the best thing ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

We had a first today too, went to look at a potential new house we are interested in, took longer than I thought it would so was fretting about all the animals.

It was such a nice surprise, the place was intact and the piggies where left alone and apparently Mr C & E didn’t bark incessantly which is great since I’ve doing some really intense training with them. However I would like to know who emptied my working yarn box, cause there were balls everywhere:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bloody halloween bangers have started already. Finn is stressed to death and refuses to leave the house, but is also going stir-crazy from lack of exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kylith wrote: »
    Bloody halloween bangers have started already. Finn is stressed to death and refuses to leave the house, but is also going stir-crazy from lack of exercise.

I’d say it was a month ago now when we heard one! Bailey has been staying in most evenings since! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

kylith wrote: »

They are ramping up here too, Esmae isn’t to bothered but poor Mr C. Trying to finish a hand knitted jumper with lace detail & it’s damn near impossible with all the drama.

I have the most amenable cats! Y;day the young male, ,he who rolls over on his back in my path to expose his furry white belly to be rubbed, was in the garden with me. He suddenly did a spectacular springboard leap in the air and grabbed something ( he flew!).

As he was playing with it I went to check and he had caught a passing dragonfly.. I have a bad phobia re these after a horrible childhood experience but I was not about to let anything be mauled to death. NO WAY could I pick it up but I had been picking kale so kind of sandwiched it in leaves. Had a good look thinking it might help my terror then, and cat stayed away, took it further away and launched it on the breeze.

has not helped my terror! Gulp. But cat behaved immaculately. For street cats these three have great manners - unless they want something someone else is eating., me included

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have the most amenable cats! Y;day the young male, ,he who rolls over on his back in my path to expose his furry white belly to be rubbed, was in the garden with me. He suddenly did a spectacular springboard leap in the air and grabbed something ( he flew!).

As he was playing with it I went to check and he had caught a passing dragonfly.. I have a bad phobia re these after a horrible childhood experience but I was not about to let anything be mauled to death. NO WAY could I pick it up but I had been picking kale so kind of sandwiched it in leaves. Had a good look thinking it might help my terror then, and cat stayed away, took it further away and launched it on the breeze.

has not helped my terror! Gulp. But cat behaved immaculately. For street cats these three have great manners - unless they want something someone else is eating., me included

How kind of you to rescue a creature that you are phobic about

I must say I think Dragonflies are the most beautiful of insects. At least you dont have to worry about them except in summertime - and they seem to be increasingly rare nowadays

I wonder would the cat have eaten it - or just caught it as it was flying about...

Copy cats!

My door here is glass. My oldest, 15, has found the best way to get me to open the door is to scrape his claws along the glass.. worse than chalk on blackboard... works every time.. He just does it non stop until the door yields..

Now the little cats are doing the same... Bless!

anyone like to borro \w a small blacj cat> she is making passonate love to my hand and I need to work.... limpet technique... purring, pink tongue peeping out... never saw the like! Bella she is called! scaredy cat she was... claws in me if I try to move...OUCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I am slowly recovering from a great dog filled weekend in Enniscrone. Stand up paddle boarding with dogs was hilarious, with some dogs swapping boards to go to the family member they preferred, then changing their minds. A beach full of people walking and running with their dogs and just general doggyness. The Ocean Sands Hotel was amazing, they opened up a function room on Sunday for lunch that dogs were allowed at. And at a time when so many councils seem to be becoming more dog restrictive, I think Sligo county council should be applauded for allowing the beach to be used like this.
    It would be great if events like this could happen around the country

storm cats..

We are in the area badly hit by Lorenzo. My next to oldest was terrified, and even dragged a sheet off the bed to wrap himself in. Had to unravel him... Oldest burrowed under the blankets... The three ex street cats were much calmer and even improvised …. they always toilet outside now.

They are fed up of tinned food as we are cut off so no fresh chicken.,

Has been an appalling time out here. Still raging and we are all exhausted. Caring for them has helped me too.

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I've a mouse in my house! He/she is living amongst my tv appliances. I could actually catch it, but I'm afraid to handle it because he might bite me, I've gloves but they aren't that thick.
    I put down two of those humane mouse traps that catches them alive and then I would release him back into the wild. I have put cat food into the back of the traps but he shows no interest it.
    Anyone any ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've a mouse in my house! He/she is living amongst my tv appliances. I could actually catch it, but I'm afraid to handle it because he might bite me, I've gloves but they aren't that thick.
    I put down two of those humane mouse traps that catches them alive and then I would release him back into the wild. I have put cat food into the back of the traps but he shows no interest it.
    Anyone any ideas.
    Mice love chocolate and peanut butter. I caught a mouse in a Pringles tube with some cooking chocolate when I was about eight, I let it go at the end of the garden though because the poor little thing was terrified of me.

Our cat has a scratch on her eye, we took her to the emergency vet on Thursday and she's been wearing a cone ever since. She was very distressed at first and walking around backwards, she is used to the cone now but has been plodding around like Eeyore with her head drooped down. We also have to give her two sets of eye drops, one of them isn't too bad but other makes her dribble and foam at the mouth :( Thank goodness the vet told us this could happen as I would have panicked otherwise! We're going back on Thursday to see how it's progressing, fingers crossed it is healing well.

Advertisement