Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

I had Khali out with me and my mums two dogs yesterday. We were about to head home as it was getting dark and I had told my mum about this Halloween event in a tunnel nearby on the Waterford Greenway. We weren't really sure what was involved but we wanted to check it out while we were in the area. So we decided we'd walk down with the dogs and if it was too much for them just leave.

It was very busy with families and it had all sorts of zombies and witches and bodies and creepy dolls and skulls etc. Big booming scary voices and witches laughs echoing around the tunnel in the dark and deranged screaming and of course all the children screaming too. My Mam's dogs didn't like it so she left immediately with them and waited back at the car park. But Khali loved it.

Like genuinely she was so delighted with herself. She was sniffing everything, saying hello to the kids. I had to keep asking her to sit and wait for other people to move on so we could look at a zombie or whatever and to sit beside me while I took photos of the different things on display etc etc and she followed all instructions as usual and happily ate any treats on offer. She was so incredibly calm in her actions and in her body language.

She is a very happy, confident dog but she still blew me away to be so unfazed by everything. Obviously I'd never had her in a situation like that before and I was so proud. Having one dog who is terrified of everything, its just so wonderful to have one bombproof dog who I can take anywhere.

You can be sure if she'd shown the slightest unease I'd have left immediately.

Meanwhile my terrier hasn't been walked properly in the last couple of days because there's so much going on around here it would all be too much for him. Playing lots of games with him instead and looking forward to next week when things are back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I had Khali out with me and my mums two dogs yesterday. We were about to head home as it was getting dark and I had told my mum about this Halloween event in a tunnel nearby on the Waterford Greenway. We weren't really sure what was involved but we wanted to check it out while we were in the area. So we decided we'd walk down with the dogs and if it was too much for them just leave.

It was very busy with families and it had all sorts of zombies and witches and bodies and creepy dolls and skulls etc. Big booming scary voices and witches laughs echoing around the tunnel in the dark and deranged screaming and of course all the children screaming too. My Mam's dogs didn't like it so she left immediately with them and waited back at the car park. But Khali loved it.

Like genuinely she was so delighted with herself. She was sniffing everything, saying hello to the kids. I had to keep asking her to sit and wait for other people to move on so we could look at a zombie or whatever and to sit beside me while I took photos of the different things on display etc etc and she followed all instructions as usual and happily ate any treats on offer. She was so incredibly calm in her actions and in her body language.

She is a very happy, confident dog but she still blew me away to be so unfazed by everything. Obviously I'd never had her in a situation like that before and I was so proud. Having one dog who is terrified of everything, its just so wonderful to have one bombproof dog who I can take anywhere.

You can be sure if she'd shown the slightest unease I'd have left immediately.

Meanwhile my terrier hasn't been walked properly in the last couple of days because there's so much going on around here it would all be too much for him. Playing lots of games with him instead and looking forward to next week when things are back to normal.

I know how you feel, Mr C is only comfortable indoors, Mr C doesn’t really like being outdoors at all unless it’s sheltered, quite & sunny. Esmae on the other hand is such a breeze compared to Mr C. The only thing that she truly dislikes is the Vet :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

em_cat wrote: »
    I know how you feel, Mr C is only comfortable indoors, Mr C doesn’t really like being outdoors at all unless it’s sheltered, quite & sunny. Esmae on the other hand is such a breeze compared to Mr C. The only thing that she truly dislikes is the Vet :(

I want a dog who only wants to go outside in good weather.

Mine prefer wind and rain and mud. Preferably at the same time. :(

Choc Chip wrote: »

Oh my!!! We had a Lhasa that was like that, pure messy molly she was:) she loved nothing more than playing fetch at the beach in the wind & rain.

Sooooo dreading tomorrow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Seems less fireworks this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

em_cat wrote: »
    Sooooo dreading tomorrow :(

We escaped Dublin for the night! Bailey has been fast asleep hours in front of the fire :D sadly an early start tomorrow to get back to Dublin but I no longer think I was mad driving 70kms away lol. Everyone at home said it was terrible

tk123 wrote: »
    We escaped Dublin for the night! Bailey has been fast asleep hours in front of the fire :D sadly an early start tomorrow to get back to Dublin but I no longer think I was mad driving 70kms away lol. Everyone at home said it was terrible

You did the right thing, I’d say Bailey thought it was the biz. We got through it better than last year though as Mr C was pretty out of it, he had to get 5 teeth out along with a full dental so was knocked out.

I also put up a few duvets over the glazing and padded out the crate with Pilates mats and pillows so he just crashed in there. Esmae only gets upset when he barks so she was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yep the difference - relaxing with his ball and then he passed out lol

494206.png

494207.png

They look so relaxed. If all goes well, we’ll be in a new place by this time next year and it should be considerably quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Deluging for hours here. There is now a large, deep pool between the end of the raised concrete path where the dwelling is and the big gate.

Boycat ,who loves to sit at the gate in the constant hope I will take him for a walk, is over the other side of the mini -lake.. So I crept back in! he is the large long haired one who loves creeping into my bed. He will need to wade or swim to get in...If need be I will put my wellies on and rescue him...

PS; never understood the term " pussyfooting" until I watched Boycat neatly and gracefully edging his way around the few dry clumps of grass to get to me..

seething... We are in bitter stormy weather out here and with no trees, no shelter etc.

I have talked about "stinkertom" the unneutered male who used to live here? Not seen him around much lately and thought maybe Oliver aka smudgie had seen him off

Earlier I put the all but empty cat food dish outside ready to be washed etc. Looked out to find Stinkertom licking it. Then he stayed by the door, crying. Fearless... so hungry nothing else mattered

Opened a new tin and filled the dish.. He has eaten all but a whole tin. That is not the hunger of one missed feed. He is a smallboned cat.

How hard is it to put food out for your cats …. Seething. ST is one of the only 2 other cats on the island; never indoors. He was looking longingly through the door.. He has shelter in the old cottage.

So I now have six cats and all are welcome here..
    Nothing I can do except go on feeding him which I will do each day now.

Poor old cat...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Aww Graces the poor pet. It's beyond me how people can treat their 'pets' like that!

We have a little teenager in the house now. 6.5 months old with selective hearing. I put a lot of effort into making him less nervous as a pup and he was improving but he is terrified of traffic. Something we will continue to work on.

We've completely ruined him. He hates being alone, crying and howling at night, so our daughter started bringing him up to sleep on her bed. He's completely stuck to me at the moment so last week he started crying on her bed to get into me so , yes, I brought him in and now the little fceker is sleeping on our bed. Sometimes wrapped around my neck.

He's in love with the bitch next door. It's so funny how he is around her. He ran into their house a few weeks ago but luckily she was out in the garden so failed attempt.

I have to get him neutered soon, as per <snip> contract. I'm waiting until he has a bit more confidence and grows some more.

Taiga wrote: »
    Aww Graces the poor pet. It's beyond me how people can treat their 'pets' like that!

We have a little teenager in the house now. 6.5 months old with selective hearing. I put a lot of effort into making him less nervous as a pup and he was improving but he is terrified of traffic. Something we will continue to work on.

We've completely ruined him. He hates being alone, crying and howling at night, so our daughter started bringing him up to sleep on her bed. He's completely stuck to me at the moment so last week he started crying on her bed to get into me so , yes, I brought him in and now the little fceker is sleeping on our bed. Sometimes wrapped around my neck.

He's in love with the bitch next door. It's so funny how he is around her. He ran into their house a few weeks ago but luckily she was out in the garden so failed attempt.

I have to get him neutered soon, as per <snip> contract. I'm waiting until he has a bit more confidence and grows some more.

Ah yes, we've all been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Taiga, please do not name rescues in this forum. This rule being made is the reason this forum is still available to post in. Please respect it.

Thanks,
    CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Choc Chip wrote: »

I have a lhasa and 2 Tibetan terriers, all reluctant to go out in the rain, unless on the lead going for a walk, Sybil won't even get her feet wet unless forced out the back to pee, but in a recent thunderstorm ran happily around in the pouring rain while I huddled under a tree.
    The TT's also love wind and go to the highest spot in the garden to enjoy it, and don't get me started on snow, they go insane, you can't move or they jump up ready to go out and play.
    Sybil has fully recovered from her spay, and is completely bomb proof so far, it's such a relief to have a calm quiet dog, she loves everyone and everything, and we've done exactly the same as I did with Oliver and Tiffi, I was worried she'd pick up on Oliver's anxiety or Tiffi's nerves around bigger dogs, but no, she's just her happy self.

Taiga, please do not name rescues in this forum. This rule being made is the reason this forum is still available to post in. Please respect it.

Thanks,
    CB.

Sorry CB, I didn't realise.

The saga continues!

These are not pets, these farm cats. They are born outside, live outside, die outside, never knowing a loving hand or a warm by the fire.
    Little "better" than the vermin they exist to keep down.

This was so when I lived on a North sea island - with my Siamese.

Born of a terrible poverty when every critter had to earn its keep.

And hopefully with the work of stalwart TNR groups, they will be better cared for?

Islands are terrible places for cat colonies out of control. If you want an emotional read, try Mrs Cotter, and Cape Clear Island. The right way to control cat colonies. A dark one, Tory island.

When I arrived here with my then 3, I was quizzed re were they neutered. Told that that they had cleared the island of cats... one left, he said, whose owner refused to neuter his male. MUCH later I learned that the organiser too had not bothered to neuter his tom as there were no "open " females left, Cheat!

Stinkertom who I have posted about before, was the one belonging to the other man. Aggressive cat. His glare would turn you to stone...

OK; that is the background!.

I fed the cat here copiously. He woke me at 3 am and devoured almost a whole tin of cat food Then woke me again around 9 am

I "heard" alarm bells as this was new behaviour, and maybe the owner was sick or away? Fed three such abandoned cats my first months in Ireland

So I emailed a man at the far end of the island to check.

SEETHING!

The cat I am feeding is "son of stinkertom" owned by my neighbour. He was ravenous; this was not the behaviour of a cat who has missed a feed or two . He was starving, hunger his only concern . Came to the door crying and wanting in. Tamed by hunger

And of course never wormed.

The neighbour I had emailed thought it was was all hilarious. grrrrrr!

A few days on and cat has been wormed, fed twice a day and greeted kindly. He eats normally now. Lovely voice.... Slowly taming him. He sleeps in the shed

I am quite sure that by now the island grapevine means the owner knows where he is.. and he then will also know what I think of folk who do not feed, worm or neuter their cats... I was splendidly and descriptively outspoken and not a swear word in it..

He is a delight... I am calling him Tonto. Suits him …. I would let him in the house if we were neutered.. But ! You see the owner is the ferryman so getting him to the vet...lol... .

One more cat safe. Grand!

QUOTE=Graces7;111788837]seething... We are in bitter stormy weather out here and with no trees, no shelter etc.

I have talked about "stinkertom" the unneutered male who used to live here? Not seen him around much lately and thought maybe Oliver aka smudgie had seen him off

Earlier I put the all but empty cat food dish outside ready to be washed etc. Looked out to find Stinkertom licking it. Then he stayed by the door, crying. Fearless... so hungry nothing else mattered

Opened a new tin and filled the dish.. He has eaten all but a whole tin. That is not the hunger of one missed feed. He is a smallboned cat.

How hard is it to put food out for your cats …. Seething. ST is one of the only 2 other cats on the island; never indoors. He was looking longingly through the door.. He has shelter in the old cottage.

So I now have six cats and all are welcome here..
    Nothing I can do except go on feeding him which I will do each day now.

Poor old cat...[/QUOTE]

Graces you're such a kind soul! The poor little creatures. How anyone can look at a hungry animal and not be bothered by it is beyond me.

My little fella is eating all around him. He loves pasta, veg, chicken, fish. He also loves rabbit poo, other dog's poo and a variety of household objects.

No nocturnal amorous shenanigans in this house! He sleeps on our bed, between us. I never thought I'd see the day...

Oh and of course. Tonto is perfectly free to leave and go back to the man any time he likes.…

When I fed the three in my first while in Ireland I was planning to take one with me when I moved. The man got wind of it and locked him in!
    He had no intention of taking care of the cat but no one else was going to have him.

And the neighbours no longer need a vermin control cat; mine have cleared that problem. lol...

Love watching him eat. a wild shy creature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh and of course. Tonto is perfectly free to leave and go back to the man any time he likes.…

When I fed the three in my first while in Ireland I was planning to take one with me when I moved. The man got wind of it and locked him in!
    He had no intention of taking care of the cat but no one else was going to have him.

And the neighbours no longer need a vermin control cat; mine have cleared that problem. lol...

Love watching him eat. a wild shy creature.

How very kind of you to feed this poor neglected cat.

How do your other cats feel about the new arrival

So if your 3 neutered females and Tonto and stinkertom are the only cats on the island, there will be no more new cats to worry about hopefully?

I bet Tonto will never want to go back to that horrible man :mad:

aonb wrote: »
    How very kind of you to feed this poor neglected cat.

How do your other cats feel about the new arrival

So if your 3 neutered females and Tonto and stinkertom are the only cats on the island, there will be no more new cats to worry about hopefully?

I bet Tonto will never want to go back to that horrible man :mad:

I have two females and three males. all neutered... And no more unwanted cats here.

Over the water a different matter. The local gene pool is black and white splotches and very small and inbred, which Tonto fits into. His father was brought in for the old man who lived in this dwelling.

The thing that puzzles me is why Tonto so suddenly started crying for food at my door. After all these months and years? Just fed him and all he wants is IN the house. Tough, little man!

My lot are still a little unsure. The former street cat trio are fine. Jacob is terrified. They tend to be in at night whereas the new kids like to be out. But plenty of space here.

So now I say nothing more to the men here about cats. lol..

Stinkertom came to visit today; Tonto's father. He of the baleful glare and eyes of stone. If looks could kill... He caused a ruckus too.

So I had literally every cat on the island at my door... and no , he did not get fed.

Tonto is a gentler soul altogether, talking to me as he comes for his food. Now he is more secure and eats without the feral habit of looking round at every bite. Good to see him more settled. Although I did see Oliver biff him round the head!Just a casual wallop with one paw to let him know his place. No harm done and no offence taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Accidentally met a Boardsie from this forum today, gas! Of course it would be animals that brought us together.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Forgive please if this is way off mark, but I am getting more and more concerned re the new cat ie Tonto. For many reasons.

It would be unlike the neighbour to be cruel ? And the cat was starving. As if not fed for several days It is crying to come in all the time and trying to sneak in. Pitiful crying and never a tom cat cry . Just fed it and could have stroked it.

You see where my vivid imagination is headed.. what if someone somehow dumped it over on me? lol... I am well known hereabouts for my cats and my love of them and how well they are cared for...

Need tact! I will be seeing the other neighbour at the weekend as he is driving me to the Church to dress it for Advent. Only thing is he is not speaking to the other man...

As all the local cats are patched black and white and smallboned… Used to be one over at the slipway over the water who kept attaching to me, especially if I had a roast chicken form Dunne's in my shopping, when I was waiting for the ferry.. she was not spayed and next seen with kittens on the shore there. No home as we know it.

Just something not quite right here?

Well, anyways and whatever, the cat will be fed! BUT if it is female, it can come into the house. And no I cannot get a back view!

The crying is persistent and heartbreaking. Tries to attach to my other cats.

Phew, still have all my fingers :) Just gave Esmae a mini pantaloon groom. Lots of peanut butter & serious work on my part to stay calm. Just to say, I' m not a groomer and have never scissored Pom pants before. I might try around the paws, tomorrow, maybe.

So the Kobster has been ousted from the bed. He lunged at my nephew twice whilst I was putting food in his bowl. No biting or anything but he did snarl the second time. Nephew wasn't even standing too close. I played it cool but made a mental note to put some effort into training.

That night I brought one of his beds (enough said!) up to our room for him and blocked off the chair he used as his launching pad to our bed. He tried to get up for a minute but settled quickly enough and he's been sleeping soundly there since. He's happy once he can see us and to be honest we're sleeping better as we were scared we'd roll over and hurt him.

We're all taking turns to feed and walk him now too. About time as it was always just me. He's still stuck on me the most but you can see he has a bit more respect for everyone.

Got a little teary-eyed yesterday and he went in under the Christmas tree and lay down in the exact same spot Mac used to lie on. Broke my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

So we were watching the new David Attenborough documentary last night on the TV when we noticed new cat Síonna was mesmerised by the birds on it. She's been verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slooooowly coming out of her shell bit by bit over the last 5 months but we've never noticed her watching the Tv before (in fairness we don't have it on that much). It was very cute and very funny to watch her following the bird around the screen. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    So we were watching the new David Attenborough documentary last night on the TV when we noticed new cat Síonna was mesmerised by the birds on it. She's been verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slooooowly coming out of her shell bit by bit over the last 5 months but we've never noticed her watching the Tv before (in fairness we don't have it on that much). It was very cute and very funny to watch her following the bird around the screen. :D

that's fab molls - fair play on the progress!

On another topic: I think it was TKC that recommended miller forge nail clippers on another thread. I bought a pair just to see if they could deal with my diamond-strong GSD nails. I'm in love with them. I don't think I'll ever buy anything else. Cut through nails like butter. Thank you!!!

• Advertisement

My fella has black nails, I'd be too nervous to do them myself.

Advertisement