Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

em_cat wrote: »

I hope it’s not too stressful for you & Bailey, do you have anything that smells of her to help him stay calm if possible?

Yes have her blanket on his bed since we got back without her last week. Have everything else ready for later. He was actually ok last year and I was able to keep him busy so hopefully he’s the same this time. It just the second we finally go to bed and BOOM

He was fine! Slept thru it all with his ear muffs on lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jacob cat went awol last week … He is the one being bullied by young Oliver and rarely ventures out.

I realised he had been gone 24 hours; was too dark to go out but early next day tramped the "estate" calling and searching. Not a trace and no body.

He is large, mostly white and does not venture to the lane...
    And the undergrowth here is sparse.

When it went dark again I started to panic. Thought about an empty house at the back whose owner checks it every day.. maybe.. So I called another neighbour ( few have email) voiced my thoughts...

Was full dark by then and no one goes out then, but I heard the collie bark near the old house half an hour later... so the man was there at an odd time..

Half an hour later, Jacob arrived at the door, crying and battered/scratched about the ears and face. Starving too. So clearly I was right. RELIEF!

The only answer is that he got chased into refuge by either Oliver or Stinkertom ( who hangs
    around like a bad smell!) and hid. But he faced them from the scratches...

I had not let him out since but did earlier and he came back within an hour.

Small island; big dramas! Just so glad he is safe,

Adding that the day I crossed on the ferry when I was moving here, I felt a burden fall overboard!

Boycat had escaped on the pier and as I recaged him I assure him that once we were over, he could have all the freedom he wanted BUT NOT YET!

The crewman carried the boxes on and wee dog ran down the gangway like a true sailor to my astonishment. To the manner born! The crew blinked!

Sweet utter relief as they are safe here. Very few cars. When I used to go over, I would wait by the lane for the minibus and always at least one cat with or on me. Local cats are tiny and inbred so mine are awe inspiring. They would wait until the bus was near then flee housewards.
    I am told Boycat goes a-visiting the man down the lane; but he and all the cats are safe here. In my third year and they were awed at the rescue of the three and now Tonto being fed.

They cannot get over the water and everyone knows I have lovely cats who catch rats etc. So if one goes missing I can appeal. Makes for safety and peace.

No dogs loose either. I was warned re a fox but never seen it.

Safe haven. So blessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Graces I love your writing style! I see it as I read it. Wonderful.

• Advertisement

Grateful for the chance to share things. The way wee dog boarded the ferry is one of my most precious memories of her... They do not rate pet dogs out here and were so visibly impressed at her style and aplomb. I was gobsmacked! Had anticipated having to pick her up but she ran on ahead of us and on she went, ears flying in the wind of her passing..

PS have 2 weblogs in my signature file..
    Taiga wrote: »
    Graces I love your writing style! I see it as I read it. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I’ve been doing some trick training with Moose because he’s more of a dog than a cat and likes to keep his brain going. So I’ve been training him to give kisses for treats. The only problem is, every time he hears a packet rustling, he thinks it’s his pack of dreamies. (Remember the ad where the cat broke through the wall to get dreamies? - moose is the real life version).
    So this evening, I was tucking into a bag of popcorn when he heard the packed. He immediately ran up, meowing in his usual screaming manner at me, jumped up on the couch beside me and started giving me high 5s - his first trick he learned. When that wasn’t working for him, he crawled up my chest and started giving me kisses in between me eating popcorn. He was just too adorable, I had to give in and break out the dreamies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I’ve been doing some trick training with Moose because he’s more of a dog than a cat and likes to keep his brain going. So I’ve been training him to give kisses for treats. The only problem is, every time he hears a packet rustling, he thinks it’s his pack of dreamies. (Remember the ad where the cat broke through the wall to get dreamies? - moose is the real life version).
    So this evening, I was tucking into a bag of popcorn when he heard the packed. He immediately ran up, meowing in his usual screaming manner at me, jumped up on the couch beside me and started giving me high 5s - his first trick he learned. When that wasn’t working for him, he crawled up my chest and started giving me kisses in between me eating popcorn. He was just too adorable, I had to give in and break out the dreamies :pac:

We nó longer allow dreamies (AKA kitty crack) in the house, due to Toby having a serious addiction, to the point that he would get angry when packets didn't contain dreamies and occasionally attack us.
    The sit and beg on command were cute though ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

This really makes me miss having kitties, I’ve had quite a few over my lifetime, had a little black moggie with blue eyes that lived until she was about 22 and literally traveled the world with me. We suspect she must have had some Siamese or oriental in her as she was super chatty and learned tricks. On the other hand Esmae thinks she’s a cat, she pounces on potential prey, steals cat nip toys from the pet shop and her favourite one currently is one of those plush kitty balls that she looooooves over all other balls.

Well named! I still have unopened packets here from Secret Santa..after that first experience, being very careful

Although I had one Siamese-cross who was crazy for yeast tablets. If i needed to get her in all I had to do was shake the tin.. She used blackmail too. " GIVE or I will scratch the bamboo bookcase to shreds... !"

mymo wrote: »
    We nó longer allow dreamies (AKA kitty crack) in the house, due to Toby having a serious addiction, to the point that he would get angry when packets didn't contain dreamies and occasionally attack us.
    The sit and beg on command were cute though ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I know this is a long shot, and probably slight dreaming on my part, but does anyone know how you'd go about trying to get animal caring jobs? What I mean is, a job in the likes of <snip>. Would you having to have veterinary nursing degree or anyone know?

Going out for fuel or a short walk is comedy half hour with Tonto. He is utterly enslaved now and desperate to attach to my ankles and feet. Wraps around me at every step. Arching and rubbing.

Was out early and three cats came with me; other 2 got distracted but Tonto stayed with my every step there and back.

Never seen this even with a feral before! Happy wee cat.

jaxxx wrote: »
    I know this is a long shot, and probably slight dreaming on my part, but does anyone know how you'd go about trying to get animal caring jobs? What I mean is, a job in the likes of <snip>. Would you having to have veterinary nursing degree or anyone know?

Have you thought of volunteering in one of the bigger charities to get a feel for what’s involved and get some experience?

After 5 years Figgy the cat has just walked up to me and meeped quietly for a cuddle ðŸ˜
    I'm very happy, she allows us to cuddle her often, and is quite affectionate, but still sometimes runs away if you approach her.
    She was a feral kitten of about 9 or 10 weeks when we caught her and turned into the most beautiful long haired, smoke grey cat, she's also huge, even the vets said she's the biggest moggy they've seen.

Ah lovely!

Did you see the 35 lb cat on the news?

Just been rehomed. Apparently his owner had dementia and would fill his bowl every time she saw it empty! He is now on a very strict diet.
    At one cat show one cat was so big they had do make two pens into one

The affection tonto radiates.. today I managed to get him to let me pet his head as he was eating.
    You would think his past would make him scared of people. Wish my other cats would lick him or nuzzle him. But there is time. He is in great condition now; has filled out nicely .

/
    After 5 years Figgy the cat has just walked up to me and meeped quietly for a cuddle ðŸ˜
    I'm very happy, she allows us to cuddle her often, and is quite affectionate, but still sometimes runs away if you approach her.
    She was a feral kitten of about 9 or 10 weeks when we caught her and turned into the most beautiful long haired, smoke grey cat, she's also huge, even the vets said she's the biggest moggy they've seen.

Heartbreaking..

I go out, and let Boycat , the gentlest old cat, out.

He heads for the gate. Tonto emerges from the shed; looks at me, looks at Boycat, heads off to follow Boycat… Oh so eagerly..

Boycat turns, and hisses at him !

Tonto is crestfallen and as I tell Boycat off, heads back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I went to get things out of the back of the car with a large coke in my hand and accidentally ended up throwing the whole coke on the backseat and the floor. I've tried to clean it with hot water and a little bit of fairy liquid but I don't know how good my cleaning efforts were. Fingers crossed I don't need a valet.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ah lovely!

Did you see the 35 lb cat on the news?

Just been rehomed. Apparently his owner had dementia and would fill his bowl every time she saw it empty! He is now on a very strict diet.
    At one cat show one cat was so big they had do make two pens into one

/

When I say huge I don't mean heavy, she's nearly as big as the cocker spaniel down the road, weighs about 5kg, but not fat. Vet thought she was a Maine coon, but her mother was a little tabby cat father unknown but in a rural area doubt he was a Maine coon. She has the biggest paws, vet checked for extra toes

Could be a genetic throwback. someone's maine coon got loose One of my rescues is clearly a large part Oriental .....the voice on her.. street rescue...

Whatever they are totally lovely! Tonto is an entertainment all by himself! Y'day he let me stroke his head, or, rather, ran into my hand!
    When I say huge I don't mean heavy, she's nearly as big as the cocker spaniel down the road, weighs about 5kg, but not fat. Vet thought she was a Maine coon, but her mother was a little tabby cat father unknown but in a rural area doubt he was a Maine coon. She has the biggest paws, vet checked for extra toes

Jacob has to be the most laid back cat ever?

• Advertisement

Tonto has stopped gorging food and is getting picky! WONDERFUL as he is feeling strong and safe. Had a good stroke of his head too... ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Tonto has stopped gorging food and is getting picky! WONDERFUL as he is feeling strong and safe. Had a good stroke of his head too... ...

Cats make me laugh - they were feral/homeless and would eat just about anything you put in front of them. Then they settle in, and become FUSSY - :cool::cool::cool: My obese ex-feral, I brought to the vet to be PTS 2 years ago because of the dreadful condition she was in, is now refusing most of the foods she thrived on for 2 years - including home cooked - brats! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Well you know the old saying...”it didn’t take my cat long to train me”.

They are master manipulators, making us lavish attention on them when they give you that baleful, disappointed look. Works every time :rolleyes:

Oh how true! I am actually thrilled at the new trait of looking at food then at me before eating as it shows how far he has come. And of course he will always go delirious at a bit of raw chicken. He is now disliking the dry food I bought especially for him … so I mix it with wet.
    rescues are so... rewarding...

aonb wrote: »
    Cats make me laugh - they were feral/homeless and would eat just about anything you put in front of them. Then they settle in, and become FUSSY - :cool::cool::cool: My obese ex-feral, I brought to the vet to be PTS 2 years ago because of the dreadful condition she was in, is now refusing most of the foods she thrived on for 2 years - including home cooked - brats! :)

Oh how true! I am actually thrilled at the new trait of looking at food then at me before eating as it shows how far he has come. And of course he will always go delirious at a bit of raw chicken. He is now disliking the dry food I bought especially for him … so I mix it with wet.
    rescues are so... rewarding...

I have to say I've never had my lot turn their noses up at the wet food I feed, I feed bozita, they all love it, so do the dogs, so I have to feed cats up high 😉

Change the food though and they give me filthy looks, I once got 2 cans of supervalu own brand when a delivery was late and one of them puked it all over the house. They others looked like I was trying to poison them

Mine all get supervalu or nothing! It is the only shop I can access.. oh and raw chicken . Picky goes without in this house! Needless to say they never go hungry!
    I have to say I've never had my lot turn their noses up at the wet food I feed, I feed bozita, they all love it, so do the dogs, so I have to feed cats up high &#55357;&#56841;

Change the food though and they give me filthy looks, I once got 2 cans of supervalu own brand when a delivery was late and one of them puked it all over the house. They others looked like I was trying to poison them

I have to say I've never had my lot turn their noses up at the wet food I feed, I feed bozita, they all love it, so do the dogs, so I have to feed cats up high &#55357;&#56841;

Is Bozita only available online? I would need to try some with 2 cats who NEVER eat the same food -

Is Bozita only available online? I would need to try some with 2 cats who NEVER eat the same food -

Zooplus, it's grain free so they eat less, so price doesn't work out too bad. I get a few flavours and they love them.

Cat food ingredients list - what is:

vegetable protein extracts

:confused:

• Advertisement

Cat food ingredients list - what is:

vegetable protein extracts

:confused:

Possible beans or lentils, I'd avoid that.
    What food is that, never seen it on ingredients list

Advertisement