Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

tk123 wrote: »
    Don't you say this about every breed?!?:pac::pac:

Yep :D although grooming has taught me I don’t want a long haired breed... or so my logical head says until I see something cute and fluffy :pac:

Aww I love rotties. A while back a couple of women I know were working with a traumatised rottie. She was completely terrified of everyone so they weren't getting anywhere in the very beginning because she was too afraid to interact with them at all. Anyway, I walked into the room they were using and the dog froze and stared at me. So I stopped where I was and said 'hello! Are you lookin' at me?' and she galloped over and threw her head in my hand for the rubs. The women were delighted and passed me treats to reinforce it . I don't know why she took to me but I felt so very privileged. One of the women kept working with her and she did a great job. She was a lovely dog altogether.

I think I’m going to end up getting a rottie at some stage :pac:

We considered one but the fact that they're on the list turned me off, because they do have to be muzzled and on the lead. There's enough busybodies around our area telling people to muzzle their GSDs that I would comply. Also, in the event of any incident, it's the restricted breed that gets the blame. A muzzle is a good protection from the law in that instance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I think I’m going to end up getting a rottie at some stage :pac:

Same, I even have a name chosen for her and everything. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I have a 20 year old cat whose life is eat, sleep and poo. But for about 10 minutes every evening she turns into a mad kitten, playing, pretend biting, very affectionate. Then she crashes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

VonVix wrote: »
    Same, I even have a name chosen for her and everything. :o

I’m the same for the pup lol! Hopefully we get one in the new year. I have one girl name and 3 boy names - I’ll decide when I see them if I’m taking a boy or girl or if it’s a litter of all girls/all boys that’ll decide for me. I’m still planning on saying nothing and surprising my friend and if it’s a boy she’ll be picking the name from my short list :D (She adores Bailey and came with us when we let Lucy go and was a devastated as us :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cream started on anti seizure medication today, we hadn’t witnessed any more seizures despite having a motion activated camera set up to try and record when he’s in bed, but there’s definitely been a couple of mornings he’s been post ictal and has peed in his bed. So far he’s a bit wobbly and zonked but fingers crossed it’ll help him.
    The vet today said he doesn’t recommend going for CT scans for him because 9 times out of 10 they won’t find anything in a cat and even if they did there wouldn’t be a lot we could do, but he figures that Cream might always have had a mild form of epilepsy and now that he’s a bit older that it’s just manifesting in a different way. But I really hope this will help is turn a corner with him!

An elderly dog started attacking my young Newfie on our walk today. I wasn't worried about it and neither was my dog, it was just biting his legs and snarling. But when the owner came over and said "The other dog started it", oh no you don't!! I told her to put her dog on a lead, and she refused. She said he's never on a lead. I said he needs to go on one now, because he's biting my dog's legs. She did get him under control, but she shouted at me "Who are you anyway? Are you a teacher, telling everyone what to do?" Felt great replying "Well I work with animals, so sort of, yes." And my dog stood beside me wagging his tail the whole time.

Oh, it's good to be on the other side, for a change....

All joking aside I know a small dog that was killed by a Great Dane just defending himself from the same kind of attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Force 8 coastal gale roused me from a lovely sleep.

Rain battering the windows.

All the cats except Boycat are still out. He has more sense than these young ones!

Big towel is ready.....

My cat CeCe was playing on the landing, rolling around and throwing her toys. I walked up the stairs calling "Cececececee!" She didn't realise I had actually come up the stairs, and was coming tearing to me. She turned the corner at the top of the stairs and we came face to face. She literally screamed! And jumped backwards two feet in the air. I have never heard a cat scream before. Wail, yes, squeal or howl, but this was a proper scream. She hadn't expected me there!

• Advertisement

OK; cats are variously fed. ...let in and out and in again... Added up who is in and who is out and who has eaten and who has still to eat..

They have earned it; two abed with me last night and the rest " on patrol"! It is Hard Work being an island cat. Where "things" can go bump in the night..

The post-food silence is awesome.. and now maybe I can think about MY breakfast..

Sounds familiar? lol...NB they are eating more now it is cold.

I am an abandoned woman! SIX CATS and not a one to cuddle... POOOOOOR Graces!

Ah this is better!

Snug abed with my two big older cats under the covers asleep, one on either side.. Happy cats; happy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My GSD has been considerably more grumpy ever since I had to bring him to the vet a few weeks ago, the reason why he went is now solved, but he's been so much easier to spark off than he used to be?

He's also beginning to refuse to eat unless I'm home and spending all day in his bed when I'm out. Otherwise his energy levels are completely normal when I'm around. :confused: We have a big, life changing event happening soon, I wonder is he picking up on our moods or am I just projecting lol.

Edit: Never mind... looks like the reason he was at the vet hasn't actually been solved completely...

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

wont be long til the kids around here go ape for around two weeks in the build up to halloween with fireworks which always freaked out my dogs

wont be long til the kids around here go ape for around two weeks in the build up to halloween with fireworks which always freaked out my dogs

They’re going off since August in most of Dublin! :(

That is truly, truly dreadful. :mad: :mad::mad: Money to literally burn some folk

I live in a madhouse! The cats are so hungry they mob me in the morning.
    Literally. …. Bless them! They keep me mobile. ;)

All quiet now.. So now I can eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Its awful. They are getting progressively worse. I have already decided I am going to have to sleep downstairs with my dog on halloween night. 11pm on a monday night and they were at it last night - poor pup went out for a wee when we thought they were done and came back in shaking because a huge one went off just when he went out. I just hope that it stops quickly after halloween and doesn't keep going until new years.

I'm lucky that my dog isn't concerned about the bangs and booms going off around him. I don't let my cats out in the evening or at night as much as possible this time of year. A year next Sunday since a firework went off directly behind the house and spooked my five year old cat Amelia, and she ran out in front of a car.

• Advertisement

I'm lucky that my dog isn't concerned about the bangs and booms going off around him. I don't let my cats out in the evening or at night as much as possible this time of year. A year next Sunday since a firework went off directly behind the house and spooked my five year old cat Amelia, and she ran out in front of a car.

Ah so very sorry. Appalling.

Blessed here with no fireworks and little traffic. The silence at night is total and deep as the ocean.

fireworks are why my wife and I have never been "out" for new years eve or halloween in decades.
    My collies were ok, but the shepherd gets totally freaked, and more so since the collies went.

I put on music or the tv loud enough and he has to be reassured. In general he is not a nervous dog.

I have an appointment at the local dog shelter tomorrow to see a collie. So excited. ��

madmaggie wrote: »
    I have an appointment at the local dog shelter tomorrow to see a collie. So excited. ��

Wonderful!! I hope you both fall madly in love with each other!

post pics if you get him/her

Ah, lovely collie!

Did you bring him home? ( I don't know how the system works)

zedhead wrote: »
    Its awful. They are getting progressively worse. I have already decided I am going to have to sleep downstairs with my dog on halloween night. 11pm on a monday night and they were at it last night - poor pup went out for a wee when we thought they were done and came back in shaking because a huge one went off just when he went out. I just hope that it stops quickly after halloween and doesn't keep going until new years.

I’m waiting to see what happens with restrictions- my plan was to get out of Dublin for the night! :(

madmaggie wrote: »

lovely , he looks around 4 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

You brought the collie home? Best of luck with him!

Advertisement