Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

DBB wrote: »
    What do you mean by this, wotzgoingon?

The film where the young lad brings the dog out back and shoots him. Old Yeller is the name. Oldish American movie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The film where the young lad brings the dog out back and shoots him. Old Yeller is the name. Oldish American movie.

I know the movie. I was more asking why would you say you'd bring your dog outside to shoot him?

DBB wrote: »
    I know the movie. I was more asking why would you say you'd bring your dog outside to shoot him?

I was joking that's why I put the pacman at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Its a pretty tasteless joke in all honesty. The usual punishment here for suggesting killing or deliberately causing harm to a pet is a permanent ban from the forum. Personally, I think you’ve been trolling us for a while now and your days here may be numbered.

Oh. Okay. Strange thing to joke about :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

In good news, hamster welfare in Ireland is progressing and getting SO much better at a quicker pace the past year. People are moving away from cheapy plastic-style barely bigger than an A4 sheet sized habitats, into species appropriate habitats. People are also starting to move away from the idea of them being a childrens pet (they really are not!) and I'm very glad of this.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Maybe I’m the only one, but to me, it was clear the Old Yeller quip was a joke.

I don’t agree with Wotz always, but this was clearly a harmless comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

saw it as a joke myself, then people getting offended over the slightest thing never surprises me.sadly some people are too quick to bandy about the troll comment, to anything they dont like.

In all honestly I do not know what his secret is to living to such a old age. If he makes it to the end of the first week of July he will be 17 years and 3 months old or 17 years and 13 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

In all honestly I do not know what his secret is to living to such a old age. If he makes it to the end of the first week of July he will be 17 years and 3 months old or 17 years and 13 weeks.

My first 2 dogs we got when we got married were 2 border collies from the same litter.
    One was poor on the back legs, vet told me I be lucky to get him to 3 years old.
    He would go at his own pace , never jumping anything if he thought he could walk around something, but other than that it was like he knew himself not to over exert himself.

I had to put him down at 16, after a stroke, the point being, if you treat them well, fed them right and look after them, they can live longer than expected.

Vet told me my shepherd would be lucky to see 8 because of his sheer size, although thin he is down to 9 stone, he is turning 9 and still in fine shape.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    Maybe I’m the only one, but to me, it was clear the Old Yeller quip was a joke.

I don’t agree with Wotz always, but this was clearly a harmless comment.
    saw it as a joke myself, then people getting offended over the slightest thing never surprises me.sadly some people are too quick to bandy about the troll comment, to anything they dont like.

I'm not sure if either of you have read earlier posts by them in this thread. If you haven't, you might not understand why some people did not see it as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Talking about longevity, my cat, going on 22, scoffs 4 saucers of cat pate in 24 hours. She has the loveliest shiny coat, and happy out. I am here merely to pander to her needs!

Well my dog is 17 years and 3 months old. But he is coming to the end. He has no health issues and if he was a person I'd say he could live for another couple of months(by just laying in a bed and waiting to die of natural causes) but since he is a dog that is not fair to him. He is still eating which is a good sign but he is getting weak in the legs. I'd say once the legs go he will most likely have to be put to sleep.

Well major update on my dog. I noticed a bit of puss fluid coming out of his eye since yesterday just a small bit but today I was looking at it and it's all cloudy. He already had a eye ball removed last year so he is now 100% blind, not good. He is coming to the end. I will have to assess the situation about putting him to sleep and I will also get my mothers opinion as to how long I will keep him alive.

Going to be designing a 90x90cm bioactive Crested Gecko vivarium for my living room... then going to work on getting another fishtank. I'm excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

So…Bailey had emergency surgery 2 weeks ago to have his spleen removed(!) We were very very lucky to be the one third of cases that have a benign mass and that I caught it early - but it was very scary - we didn’t know if he’d make it through the surgery and then the wait for results. I had to say goodbye to him in case he didn’t make it :( He’s gotten stronger and stronger each day and back to himself although he’s now 1.5kgs lighter(!)

Poor Baileys been through so much. I’m glad he’s ok now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Poor Baileys been through so much. I’m glad he’s ok now though.

It was just a horrible experience having to drive across the city with him and leave him with strangers not knowing if we’d see him again... really hits home how lucky we are to have our own wonderful vets and nurses to support us and take care of him. We may have had a different outcome if our vet hadn’t seen him first and prepped me..

He’ll be 12 on Friday and his little birthday present will be here next week lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Ahh we’re back in action on boards, that was a scary week :pac:

I was wondering would any of the regular users of this forum be interested in forming a Facebook group? Those of us who have been around for years and are invested in each other’s pets almost as if they were one of our own! Just in case boards ever goes kerplunk again :o

Silly mango I think the issue with that is that boards is anonymous and Facebook is not. Some people may prefer to remain anonymous.

• Advertisement

That is very true, I hadn’t thought about that because I have a few boardsies on my friends list :D

Brilliant! If I create a group would it be

okay to post here or would that be against forum rules? No one Is under any obligation to join of course!

I’ve created a group for anyone who wishes to join, you can do so here! No one has to if you’d prefer to remain anonymous on here :) please remember this group is not affiliated with boards, just someplace to keep in touch in case the website goes nuts again! https://www.facebook.com/groups/142084968030808/?ref=share

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Not on facebook much, but happy to join😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I've sent a request to join too (I rarely use Facebook either TBH, but I'll keep an eye out all the same)

Same, I rarely post on my personal Facebook, I only really use FB for work or the groups, I find them very useful!

Since I’ve started grooming I almost exclusively use Facebook for my business and for keeping up with grooming groups! I rarely post personal stuff anymore at all 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Life in the slow lane out here is both busy and quiet. I now have seven cats in my care. Almost all the island cats. Love it. Just now they only come in for food of course. Wonderful weather for them. My oldest is seventeen; although I have no idea of the ages of the island strays.

• Advertisement

Well for anybody wondering I put him to sleep the day after this post I have quoted. He lived to 17 years 3 months and 1 day old.

Very sad and I still miss him.

Advertisement