Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well we have a new puppy in the house called Luna. I cannot move or cough atm as she is asleep on my feet as I type this. We picked her up today. I will put up a pic in the picture thread as I do not have any yet but will take a pic when she wakes up. She is a bundle of energy. She hasn't slept all day till now since we picked her up at 1 o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I feel so out of practice with everything. Like my brain is becoming lazy. So annoying.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Our dog has started licking her paws and kind of chewing her back legs a bit. It happens occasionally throughout the day. I think it might be cheese related. An allergy to cheese so I'm cutting that out, but also I'm wondering if it's anxiety or misery. She is a boxer/lab/german shepherd mix 20kg so quite small for that mix. We live in an apartment, but she gets several walks per day. One big one to a park where she can run around, one smaller one around town, and another couple around the block for wees. But there's no garden for her to play in, or just be in.

She has a house that sometimes she visits and meets another dog and they play in their garden and have a great time and when she comes home she just sleeps, and I think she's so exhausted every time she comes back from that house, but I've started to wonder if she should be sleepy like that all the time, and should get that sort of going around a garden every day, and because she isn't, she is miserable and starting to chew at her paws. She seems happy. We're around all the time, and she gets lots of attention, but she would be happier if she had a garden I think.

I just feel a bit mean and a bit responsible for maybe now her biting her paws out of boredom. Any thoughts? Buy a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yet another medical saga with the geriatric cats, Cream is now diabetic :( this one really threw me as I didn’t notice any symptoms other than losing a bit of weight. We only brought him to the vets because he hurt his leg at the weekend, but they wanted him back in fasting today for a blood test and ultrasound and sure enough his blood sugars were massive. He’s to stay in to get stabilised but hopefully we’ll have him home tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I’m on day 8 of covid now. I’ve had all the symptoms headache, dizziness, lethargy, loss of appetite, loss of taste, vomiting, diarrhoea. The three that have been there from the start are congestion, sore throat and the coughing. Thankfully the others have all come and gone on different days. I imagine the people that get really sick have them all at the same time. Thankfully I’ve not had any shortness of breath. I’m grateful to myself for quitting smoking some years ago now. This really, really sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

@ Cherry Blossom, sorry to hear, wishing you speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Attempted to cut my dogs nails, there was blood, I dunno whos in worse shape me or the dog!

it looks ok... been about 15 min ,still a bit of blood but not gushing....

my heart rate has steadied also. I dont think I need an ambulance yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Gives you a new appreciation for it, doesn't it. I got covid a few months back, 3 weeks after my first vaccine. It just felt like a basic cold with a light cough and nothing significant, I got tested and I turned out positive, weirdly then I got the loss of taste/smell two days after testing positive. I certainly felt like one of the lucky ones.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Your only suppose to cut a small bit off. Sounds like you cut too much as they have veins in the nails.

I've had many dogs over the years and never once had to cut either of their nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

yes i know , she's 12 and ive never had to either, but she had TPLO 3 weeks ago and isnt walking and they are growing at a stupid rate :(

• Advertisement

It certainly does. I had my two vaccinations back in May and June. I cant imagine the shape I’d be in now if I hadn’t got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cream back in the vets again overnight :( he was vomiting non stop this morning so couldn’t give him insulin. He was due in for a check with the nurse today anyway so I rang them and asked could we see a vet too. He was very dehydrated so they wanted to keep him on a drip for 24hrs and keep an eye on his sugars. Fingers crossed we’ll know more tomorrow.

Cherry Blossom I hope you are feeling better!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Poor little Milo was down in the vets today, has a bit of a cough. Vet said there is a vaccine resistant strain going around and he must have picked it up at daycare. They are seeing lots of vaccinated dogs with it at the moment, luckily its not too serious.

Have to keep him out of public places for a few days so no walks - time to get creative with some indoor enrichment as his energy levels seem to be back to normal after a quiet day yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Hope you get some good news tomorrow! Its awful seeing them sick!

I'm minding my parents Staffordshire bull terrier puppy at the minute, she is a hand full. Biting me on my hands, feet and arms. I have cuts and everything. She has ruined two pairs of knock off crocs by attacking them while I am wearing them. That's how I have cuts on my feet. I have to bring her for a walk everyday and have developed blisters, one on my heel and another on my toe. Not use to walking as I do not do it normally as I drive every where and walk a small distance like into a shop or shopping centre. We were caught in a storm Saturday which she didn't like she hid in long grass while I blocked as much of the cold rain off her with my body. She's not too bad though all said apart from when she goes mental biting but it's not constant she sleeps a lot too. She just goes hyper when she has loads of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It sounds horrendous. Hoping it eases off soon. Take care~ and at least you have time to recover by Christmas

Well, I am getting a purebred Siamese! I bred Siamese for many years before I came to Ireland 20 years ago. When I saw the stray cat situation here I changed to rescuing. ALways longed for a Siamese. Selkie is clearly part Oriental which is lovely. .. A rescue we have worked with has had a Siamese handed in. Owners ae going abroad and cannot take her and know these guys will find her a good home. She is eight; not sure yet what colour point; waiting for a photo. She will be spayed etc. After Christmas...

Thanks Graces7, thankfully I am fully recovered now. I still get the odd moment when something doesn’t taste quite right and I have to spray an awful lot of perfume before I smell it 😂. I’ve been in the gym this past three weeks and am going to start walking at lunch time at work. I’ve not been getting enough exercise since my little Sheltie passed away in June. I still have no pets currently. I’m thinking about getting a pair of cats or kittens but I’m in two minds about it. Good luck with the new addition when he/she arrives Graces.

A home needs a critter or two..And when my family ordered me to find three after losing Scallywag and Beata in the same weekend? It was not replacing them but honouring their memory. I was offered the Siamese in the same spirit after .... too painful still.

Recovery seems to take forever from covid. The daughter of a friend has long covid and still only working part time You are doing fine!

I think Siamese Lady is going to be a good newcomer! I was given an "island car" ie no nct needed months back but no-one to bring it over... Sitting wrapped in film on someone;s drive,.. the man who will bring Lady uses a lorry and has offered to bring the car... red Smart car! My mobility has largely got up and went so what a blessing that will be., NB folk are terrified of getting stranded on the island! I was always terrified of getting stranded OFF the island... Something to look forward to; car plus Siamese cat.

Are everyone else's cats sleeping all day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

@cherryblossom so very sorry to have missed it if you posted loosing your wee Sheltie, I’ve not been active in boards too much lately since the facelift! Yes to more furries like @Graces7 , I can’t settle in home mode until I’ve a pet.

@Graces7 who hoo to getting back to driving, I finally did a few weeks ago & although I don’t go anywhere important as such, being able to get up to Wicklow at the weekend & to one of bigger city parks has done wonders for me, Esmae & Mr C. The change in their relationship had been amazing too, they are much better friends now that they get some great walks in w/o the nuisance of other dogs & mounds of people around. Enjoy the new motor!

Thanks... Of course I will not be going off island.. But I will be able to get to the shore. Paddle in the briny!

And absolutely a home NEEDS a furry or more.

Non cat person describes my (!!!) Siamese as black and white, so seal point,,,, YAY!

Well. as the weather out here is getting frisky already I have fed all five cats to full capacity. Raw chicken and tinned food... The two island cats are usually fed outside as I slowly get my usual residents used to them. Inevitably as Dominic is entire male.. And the very damaged Tonto is an unknown quantity inside. NB they have splendid shelter across the yard.

Tonto is now at the end of my bed as to the manner born, but watching me closely. Ah he is starting to treadle now!

Cats are all stuffed and blissfully quiet!

Tonto is on my bed, washing his paws after a big feed ... My other four cats are as close to the solid fuel stove in the kitchen as they can safely get..

This will be the first night all five have been in all night. With Barra due to hit us head on there is no way else...

Feline history in the making...

Hoping all are safe and snug out there..

Here he is.. Tonto..

I am annoyed. I think because I'm wrong, but I just don't like being confronted about it. We have a boxer/lab/german shepherd cross. She is 18 months and we live in an apartment. She is a barker, and very defensive in apartment complex. She barks and runs at people in the development because she doesn't really understand that her home is just the apartment bit, and not the whole complex. At night time, she is especially bad. She is not friendly to people she doesn't know. Not unfriendly, just doesn't really have much of an interest in it.

Tonight we were going for a toilet and when we were coming back, there was a man walking against us. She tries to run at him. If she was off the lead, she would bark at him and run back. But being on the lead, she pulls and looks like she would attack if free. I have her on a reasonably tight lead. I give the guy a eye roll, and he responds with 'control your dog bro'. I say what, he repeats himself. I say is she not under control. He goes yeah, but i'm just saying it's not cool for her to bark at people. I go ok, she didn't bark at you. Then she barked at him. He repeats himself again. And then says 'i could call the management company' and walks away.

I'm annoyed by the fact that he's right she shouldn't bark at people, and 'it's not cool', but it's just an active largeish young dog in apartment living and while we try to avoid people as much as we can in the complex, night time is her trigger and she goes into protective mode. What is he going to phone the management company about? A dog barked at me?

There are a lot of signs there and you definitely do not want her off the lead. I had a dog that would bite someone but I lived in a house in the countryside which was fenced in so it was fine as he never got the chance to bite someone apart from family members visiting or such, so I used to have to lock him up when we had visitors. Regarding the barking does she do that in the apartment? That can be very annoying for you neighbours. You also should have done research and got a small dog if you live in an apartment. That dog you own would need a lot of exercise. The barking could be from too much energy. That dog would also need to go for a run rather than walking slowly. So put her on a strong lead and jog around a park or such with her she will really enjoy that. You were also a bit cheeky to the guy when he was telling you to be in control of your dog. It's a largish dog and people would be frightened of her and especially if they felt you weren't in proper control of her.

Thanks for your reply. A lot of your assumptions are incorrect. She doesn't bark in the apartment. She gets one big walk off the lead and then sleeps the rest of the day. Has never bitten or threatened to bite anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

To be fair the picture you paint of your dog is all we have to make assumptions from. The man was obviously afraid of your dog.. they don’t know her like you do so it’s fair for people to be wary.. this us very much YOUR problem. There’s a difference to somebody being afraid of a dogs for no reason…i.e. it’s their problem and not something your dog has done apart from simply existing - I get this with my two simply because of their size.. To a dog who appears very much unpredictable to others and is as you say above barking and lunging at people.

Post edited by tk123 on

Advertisement