Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't understand Geometry

Options
  • 26-10-2018 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I am looking to replace my broken Scott Addict and I know the geometry is "racy" and that I have it setup perfectly for me by a bike fit a few years ago.

I have looked at a few other racy type bikes, and am considering a range from CAAD12, Canyon Ultimate and Aeroroad.

Now I know I am supposed to be able to look at the geometry charts and see instantly the subtle differences and which will fit me like a leather glove but the numbers and angles just swim in front of my eyes like I've been hitting the sherry again. Please help, how does this dark art work?

So here are the charts for the aeroroad and the ultimate and here is the chart for my ex-Scott

and here is my bike measurements for my 56 frame.
    300h8w7.jpg

Does any of this make any sense to you? How the hell do you know if the aeroroad integrated cockpit is going to fit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

You need the stack and reach measurements (I and J in the diagram for the CF SL), particularly if your going for a 'racy' set up with an integrated cockpit.

I'm surprised you didn't get those measurements in your bike fit. The 56cm frame in the CF SL range looks like a good fit. Check the head tube height though as your Scott doesn't seem to have that measurement either.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

velo.2010 wrote: »
    You need the stack and reach measurements (I and J in the diagram for the CF SL), particularly if your going for a 'racy' set up with an integrated cockpit.

I'm surprised you didn't get those measurements in your bike fit. The 56cm frame in the CF SL range looks like a good fit. Check the head tube height though as your Scott doesn't seem to have that measurement either.

Yeh I cant find the stack and reach figures anywhere, is it straight forward to measure yourself? I can measure the head tube height alright. Dont want to be left with ugly spacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Email Scott. A quick google gives me the stack/reach of the 2014 Addict, and all the other numbers on that geo-chart are very similar, if not identical, to the 2011 Addict you have.

http://www.scott-japan.com/sites/default/files/SCOTT2014_078-100.pdf

568/394.5 for a 56

The Aeroad is 550/397 for the M/56
    The Ultimate is 567/391 for the M/55.5

So at very quick first glance you'll easily get an almost identical fit on the Ultimate, while the Aeroad is longer and lower.

Plastik wrote: »
    Email Scott. A quick google gives me the stack/reach of the 2014 Addict, and all the other numbers on that geo-chart are very similar, if not identical, to the 2011 Addict you have.

http://www.scott-japan.com/sites/default/files/SCOTT2014_078-100.pdf

568/394.5 for a 56

The Aeroad is 550/397 for the M/56
    The Ultimate is 567/391 for the M/55.5

So at very quick first glance you'll easily get an almost identical fit on the Ultimate, while the Aeroad is longer and lower.

Thanks, that’s a big help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

From knowledge of that Bike fitter I think there should be another page with the bike fit which includes other measurements. Also I think he also includes an invitation to contact him if you're looking to buy bother bike and have a q about sizing, and a reduced rate to fit the new bike.

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    From knowledge of that Bike fitter I think there should be another page with the bike fit which includes other measurements. Also I think he also includes an invitation to contact him if you're looking to buy bother bike and have a q about sizing, and a reduced rate to fit the new bike.

Good point I’ll do that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Stack and reach. Feck and ar$e.

In advance of a purchase earlier this year I made a stack and reach table of all the road bikes I've ridden down the years. About 12 to 15 road bike frames, all 56 (ish), all "my size" to see if I could figure out a trend or pattern upon which to base my purchase.

Could I see any common thread?

Could I fcuk...:rolleyes::confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Every time I see the thread, I get Sam Cooke stuck in my head

*though he makes no mention of Geometry

Weepsie wrote: »
    Every time I see the thread, I get Sam Cooke stuck in my head

*though he makes no mention of Geometry

Ha! It’s “I don’t know what a tracker mortgage is” for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's easy. Salty old harry caught a herring traveling off Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I use stack reach and headtube length for deciding on whether a bike is suitable for me. The headtube length is all you really need though as the vast majority of bikes use very similar headtube and seat tube angles so if your going with a 56cm frame for example, the headtube length will determine stack and reach. My ‘good’ bike has a very racy geometry with a 140mm headtube which means I’m fairly stretched out and low on it. My age is making longer cycles on that bike a little tiresome and uncomfortable so I work on the basis that anything with a longer headtube will invariably be more upright and therefore more comfortable etc

Advertisement