Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phesant shooting.

• 26-10-2018 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Coming to that time of year again. Just wondering what everyone is using in relation to cartridges, shot size, gram chokes etc

Personally use fiocchi jk6 in a 6 or dark storm in a 5.

Whats your choice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Hull high pheasant extreme 32 gram 6 moving to 5 if I am on duck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I'm using 32g #5 black gold game on the crows and they're working very nicely so I think I'll use them on the pheasants. Very smooth cartridge with good knock down power. I have 35g ones aswell but I think they're unnecessarily heavy unless shooting high birds.

I use two half chokes for most shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I suppose it depends to an extent how you shoot your birds
    Driven birds and those flushed by a hunting lab or spaniel will probably be a longer shot where as over a pointing breed a 28 gram 7 might be more than adequate .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Usually 30g #6 for driven birds, fiocchi or black gold but I don’t worry too much if I can’t get those brands. Elect Grand Prix do the job too.
    I’ll shoot a 28g cartridge with confidence too but maybe not stretch to the highest birds, does it make a difference, not sure.
    Ducks are a 34or 32g #5 or #6.

Advertisement