Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

none of my devices recognising 5GHz

Options
  • 26-10-2018 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Just started using a Huawei HG659B router I had lying around (as a WLAN device hooked up by WAN) None of my devices in the house seem to pick up the 5ghz SSID - most probably too old and have the single band internal wi-fi cards - been into adaptor settings and enabled 802.11n and all that - made sure the 5G SSID was showing broadcasting in router configuration page. What I was wondering was if none of my stuff is cable of 5G am i better to disable the 5G signal on the router in its setting or leave it enabled? - any plusses to be had disabling 5g wireless on the router.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Just started using a Huawei HG659B router I had lying around (as a WLAN device hooked up by WAN) None of my devices in the house seem to pick up the 5ghz SSID - most probably too old and have the single band internal wi-fi cards - been into adaptor settings and enabled 802.11n and all that - made sure the 5G SSID was showing broadcasting in router configuration page. What I was wondering was if none of my stuff is cable of 5G am i better to disable the 5G signal on the router in its setting or leave it enabled? - any plusses to be had disabling 5g wireless on the router.

It makes no difference. 5Ghz doesn't have the same penetration as 2.4Ghz propably won't have a great signal outside the room it's in

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PatchIt

Hi Andy,

First, check if your devices are 5Ghz compatible. 2nd in router go into Home Network settings and check if 2.4 and 5.0Ghz are enabled. Try to rename 5Ghz network and see if that helps.
    If you are still getting nowhere, pm me and I will try to help.

regards Armands

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

PatchIt wrote: »
    Hi Andy,

First, check if your devices are 5Ghz compatible. 2nd in router go into Home Network settings and check if 2.4 and 5.0Ghz are enabled. Try to rename 5Ghz network and see if that helps.
    If you are still getting nowhere, pm me and I will try to help.

regards Armands

thanks for that - my old laptop i am using at the mo is definately got a single bad wifi card in it , I suppose i will have to get a dual band 802.11ac usb adaptor for that.

My phone is a huawei and even that hasnt got 802.11ac - just 802.11n

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PatchIt

Although some 802.11 n chips will recognize 5GHz networks- most wont - its down to chip manufacturer. For the laptop - USB dongle will do or LAN cable if you have the option to use it.

thanks for that - my old laptop i am using at the mo is definately got a single bad wifi card in it , I suppose i will have to get a dual band 802.11ac usb adaptor for that.

My phone is a huawei and even that hasnt got 802.11ac - just 802.11n

Advertisement