Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing cooked or uncooked?

Options
  • 26-10-2018 6:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hoping to use the glut of apples to make lots of Eve's puddings, or Apple Sponge as we called it at home. Would it be better cook them and freeze them then, or freeze them uncooked?
    Wondering if the sponge mixture would seperate (or something) on freezing.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't now for sure but I'd imagine it would split all right, while it would more than likely freeze really well when cooked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think you're right. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I think it's a much better idea to freeze stewed apples and make the apple sponge fresh each time. I do this.

With a tub of stewed apple to hand, you'd have it in the oven in minutes.

I dont think freezing raw sponge mixture would be a success, but Ive never tried it.
    Its got me thinking - I'm not so sure the baking powder would work as well. It starts to work as soon as it's wet so by the time its frozen and defrosted, it is likely to be not as effective - has anyone ever tried this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

huskerdu wrote: »

I dont think freezing raw sponge mixture would be a success, but Ive never tried it.
    Its got me thinking - I'm not so sure the baking powder would work as well. It starts to work as soon as it's wet so by the time its frozen and defrosted, it is likely to be not as effective - has anyone ever tried this ?

Freezing raw sponge mixture wouldn't work as the airy mixture achieved by whisking the eggs would be lost in the freezing and defrosting process.
    And you're right, if baking powder was involved, it would be ineffective because of the length of time involved in freezing, then defrosting.
    We often freeze stewed apple and other fruit - so handy for whipping up a quick cake or tart!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The stewing and freezing is much easier I suppose. I might make up two apple sponges and cook and freeze one and just freeze the other. See what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

spurious wrote: »
    The stewing and freezing is much easier I suppose. I might make up two apple sponges and cook and freeze one and just freeze the other. See what happens.

Freezing the uncooked batter will just be a waste of batter. By all means do it if you just want to experiment though.

Advertisement