Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Community Bicycle Repair Centre in Dublin?

Options
  • 26-10-2018 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I thought I read about one where you could bring your bike - maybe help on fixing it - but anyway get it back on the road at reasonable cost. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think you might mean this place: https://rothar.ie/

I remember seeing a slot on TV about them.

Or this place? Though it seems more like a youth club: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/cycle-of-life-with-a-difference-in-inner-city-dublin-1.3327466

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭loco-colo

Yeah - Thanks spurious - I think they set out like I mean - but have changed model slightly - There was a place around Parnell Square but I think has closed - I have a ladies bike (if it is ok to use that term now ) - Giant Model - needs to be restored a bit - has been out in the elements for a while - But if I brought it down to the bicycle shop with their rates - I could buy a nice little car!

I don't mind paying a reasonable amount - no problem - think it would be a shame to dump this bike which has a really solid frame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what work does it need? frames rarely go wrong, but if the rest of it is shot from neglect it may be cheaper to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

http://www.echo.ie/news/article/traveller-bike-shop-is-starting-to-make-strides

Traveller repair shop at the halting site next to Cloverhill prison

• Advertisement

what work does it need? frames rarely go wrong, but if the rest of it is shot from neglect it may be cheaper to replace.

Was going up to a couple of years ago - Gears seem to have fallen off a bit - rusty chain - many years ago I stripped down my own bike and had it rocking - no gears then - now there isn't a tool in the shed that can open anything on this.

The missus paid 15 quid or something to get a puncture fixed - it nearly finished me off - maybe they sold her a tube or something - I have never really recovered from the shock ...

niallo32 wrote: »
    http://www.echo.ie/news/article/traveller-bike-shop-is-starting-to-make-strides

Traveller repair shop at the halting site next to Cloverhill prison

Thanks niallo - closer to what I had in mind.

There may be a Mens Shed somewhere that does bikes - that would be my best outcome - a lot of them do carpentry projects - am in one myself. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

loco-colo wrote: »
    Was going up to a couple of years ago - Gears seem to have fallen off a bit - rusty chain - many years ago I stripped down my own bike and had it rocking - no gears then - now there isn't a tool in the shed that can open anything on this.
    you sure? most components on a highly strung racehorse of a bike can be taken off with an allen key set.
    if you're into replacing the cassette or bottom bracket, this is not the case, but as above, this could place it beyond economic repair.

a photo of the bike might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

you sure? most components on a highly strung racehorse of a bike can be taken off with an allen key set.
    if you're into replacing the cassette or bottom bracket, this is not the case, but as above, this could place it beyond economic repair.

a photo of the bike might help.

What he said. Unless you're looking to remove bearings or the chain, a very basic allen key set and a couple of screwdrivers can strip a frame very comprehensively!

Thanks lads - will see if I can stick up a photo tomorrow. Cheers.

• Advertisement

with the obvious exception of brakes and braking surfaces, a spray of the bike with WD40, and letting it sit for a day to penetrate, might free up a few components.
    note: this is *not* a recipe for weather proofing the bike. it might free up some stiff components, but is by no means a long term solution.

A couple of photos - I should have given it a WD40 before - The gear thing hanging out put me off - know nothing about gears.

Does WD40 do chain or do you need an oil and what pressure should tyre be? Thanks.

wd40 would be OK for cleaning a chain, but not for protecting/lubricating it - it's too light.

has that gear component snapped off or fallen off?

Thanks for rapid reply magic - just went out and looked.

The little silver bar which seems to be threaded on the part will just pull out - nothing holding it in there - the other on the lead fits over it but there is no way of tightening it - there must be a part missing in between. Thanks.

I don't think they make this bike any more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

loco-colo wrote: »
    A couple of photos - I should have given it a WD40 before - The gear thing hanging out put me off - know nothing about gears.

Does WD40 do chain or do you need an oil and what pressure should tyre be? Thanks.

Looks like hub gears (no derailleur), possibly sturmy archer 3 speed if its an old bike. In the photo of you holding a piece, where did it come from. I see what appears to be the gear cable on the non-drive side, so wouldn't have expected another cable down there unless the gears use one cable for shifting in each direction. That aside, if the gears are operational, i'd change chain, cables and brake pads, none of which are particularly expensive.

Apologies for not being properly prepared with my questions - hadn't looked at it in detail.

went out again - 2 pics below.

The little bar is bent and should presumably be straight and pushed in whole way.

Took it out and I see how unit fits over nut on axle - but there is nothing really holding it there - it is not threaded.

However I wonder if I straightened bar and stuck it in I might be able to hold unit in place with wire or cable tie or something - do you think gears might work.

Nexus Shimano is written on hub and the cable the other side is brakes.

I won't be going for Olympics or anything - just a couple of miles at most. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

smacl wrote: »
    Looks like hub gears (no derailleur), possibly sturmy archer 3 speed if its an old bike. In the photo of you holding a piece, where did it come from. I see what appears to be the gear cable on the non-drive side, so wouldn't have expected another cable down there unless the gears use one cable for shifting in each direction. That aside, if the gears are operational, i'd change chain, cables and brake pads, none of which are particularly expensive.

Not quite. If you look closely at the wheel rims, there are no brake calipers, as this bike (Expression N3 if I'm reading right) used roller brakes that are in the hubs, so there's a cable to the front hub for the front brake, and 2 cables to the rear, one for gears, and one for brake. Presumably the OP has traced the loose cable back to the handlebars, and this is definitely connected to the shifter and not the brake lever to say this is the gears?

Beyond that, I know nothing about hub gears or roller brakes, I'm afraid, so can't offer a fix.

Yes cython - cable on right = gears - cable on left = brakes.

Never even noticed no brake pads - so the brakes are in the hub.

What happens there - do they wear out?

Threw half a gallon of WD40 at her and pumped up the wheels - she is starting to look like a bike - gear unit is only sitting on it so will have to do something there - will try straightening out the little bar and stick it in. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'd say the hub gears are beyond the skills of many. You could bring it to Bee Cycles in Dolphin's Barn for advice. The chap there is very knowledgeable about hub gears.

The little bar should somehow attach inside the hub, maybe it screws into something. One of your pics of the gear unit shows what might be a black clamp bolt at the back. That may be what holds it in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement