Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Phibsboro like?

Options
  • 26-10-2018 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi

My wife, our 2 kids and I have relocated back to Ireland from the uk and were hoping to buy a house/place in Phibsbsoro, D7 .can someone tell us what the area is like to raise a family in and what the going rate of a typical 3 bed house in the area is? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i love phibsboro.

For a 3 bed house you are looking at between €400-€550k depending on the amount of work that needs to be done.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/48-connaught-street-phibsboro-dublin-7/4268663

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/2-enniskerry-road-phibsboro-dublin-7/4238812

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Big thread on Phibsboro here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057226551

In short it is close to the city with very good public transport links. You can walk to OConnell St in 20-25 mins and cycle it even quicker. It suffers from a lot of traffic and the shopping centre badly needs an overhaul. Good few new coffee shops/restaurants have opened recently so its on the up. Schools wise there are a lot of good options. Phoenix Park just a short hop is a great to have in the area. Avoid buying on a main road as there are a lot of sirens in the area due to the Mater hospital. Other than that its a great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I would live in Phibsboro no problem at all but the other big negative is litter. It can get pretty disgusting at times, people seem to have not much pride in where they live.

The traffic is a complete disaster southbound until you get through the crossroads, buy a bike if you'll be commuting to town, it's by far the quickest way to get in/out.

Would echo the positive comments above, it has great amenities, close to town, I've never felt unsafe at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Juanner

I've lived in Phibsboro (just sold our house in one part and bought another 5 minutes away) for about 15 years and would recommend it. For sure it has a few rough edges and the Shopping Centre's an eyesore but the proximity to town, the Phoenix Park, Botanics and airport make it a winner for me.

The plans for the shopping centre, while not to everyone's taste, should breathe more new life into the area and, the redevelopment of Dalymount Park over the next 5 years behind it will tidy up a huge chunk of the place.

As others have said, lots of new food options there, and just over Crossguns Bridge, and the opening-soon Loretta's at Doyle's Corner will make a huge difference to business around the crossroads.

It's not perfect - traffic can be a problem especially driving towards town from Glasnevin but it usually sorts itself out after Doyle's Corner. But then, of course, the Luas is on your doorstep too.

Regarding littering, in my experience (witnessed it happening several times) a lot of dumping is caused by people driving in and dumping bags on a lot of the side streets around Doyles Corner. The Council are very good at collecting it (when they're told to) but it can be an issue if left unattended.

But yeah, Phibsboro's a great old spot!

Advertisement