Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing schools for elections

• 26-10-2018 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong but a large number of voting centres are schools. Who oh why are schools still used when halls are empty nearby and hence schools don't need to be closed. I know of a few schools that are single sex so if you have a boy and girl then one of them could be off today. Why can't ejections be held on Sat or next week? We hear so so much about getting all hours out of us yet the Govt can suddenly close a school for elections.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

That would suggest that you think that those who select the dates for elections/referenda do so based on factors other than just on what day/date will maximise the numbers of people who’ll vote the way they want.

In fact, given that the latest referendum is of no material benefit to anyone who doesn’t ‘work’ in Leinster House, teachers should have staged a lock out of the schools on election dayyy to make the point that the cost of that referendum should have been going towards pay equality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TheDriver wrote: »
    Who oh why are schools still used when halls are empty nearby and hence schools don't need to be closed.
    Impartiality. TD's may own halls. Also, a number of different rooms probably ensures that people talk less amongst themselves whilst queuing to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I know I previously asked this question locally & was told it didn't pay enough for the community centre to stay open the lenght of time required with heating & lighting for one big cavernous room going all day

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Most schools are accessible for people with mobility issues . They have a number if rooms which allows for a few centres in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I know I previously asked this question locally & was told it didn't pay enough for the community centre to stay open the lenght of time required with heating & lighting for one big cavernous room going all day

150 for one room in a school, don't know how much for extra room's

• Advertisement
Advertisement