If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing 5.1 system

Options
  • 26-10-2018 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Finally saying goodbye to my trusty 10 year old LG HT953TV which I actually bought from you good folks. I wanna step down from wires and clutter so going to go the soundbar route, what do you recommend? Budget around €500. Also will I see a big decline in audio performance going from 5.1 to soundbar?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi,

Finally saying goodbye to my trusty 10 year old LG HT953TV which I actually bought from you good folks. I wanna step down from wires and clutter so going to go the soundbar route, what do you recommend? Budget around €500. Also will I see a big decline in audio performance going from 5.1 to soundbar?
    Hi Lord Spence,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you,I was having a few issues with the site yesterday!

I would always recommend a soundbar with a wireless subwoofer, especially if you're replacing a surround system, as it gives the sound a lot more depth and makes it less muddy by separating the high and low frequencies. A soundbar would not give the same effect as a surround sound system. You can get virtual surround but it's no substitute for separate speakers. A soundbar will give you a great sound but I think you'll notice a difference between a wired system and a soundbar in terms of the sound space.

Around that price point I would recommend the Orbitsound A70 at 599 euro:

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203592-orbitsound-bar-a70-soundbar.aspx

If you could stretch the budget a little I would highly recommend the new Yamaha Musicast 40 soundbar with wireless sub and Musicast. The Yamaha soundbars sound incredible and are the best I've heard for filling out a room and giving a sense of surround sound:

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203613-yamaha-musiccast-bar-400-soundbar.aspx

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Hi Lord Spence,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you,I was having a few issues with the site yesterday!

I would always recommend a soundbar with a wireless subwoofer, especially if you're replacing a surround system, as it gives the sound a lot more depth and makes it less muddy by separating the high and low frequencies. A soundbar would not give the same effect as a surround sound system. You can get virtual surround but it's no substitute for separate speakers. A soundbar will give you a great sound but I think you'll notice a difference between a wired system and a soundbar in terms of the sound space.

If you could stretch the budget a little I would highly recommend the new Yamaha Musicast 40 soundbar with wireless sub and Musicast. The Yamaha soundbars sound incredible and are the best I've heard for filling out a room and giving a sense of surround sound:

Kind regards

David

Hey David , thanks for getting back to me. The Yamaha looks interesting but would u go for this over the Sonos playbar or beam? Would be interested in adding the wireless rear surrounds at a later stage.

Hi Lord Spence,

Kind regards

David

Hey David , thanks for getting back to me. The Yamaha looks interesting but would u go for this over the Sonos playbar or beam?  Would be interested in adding the wireless rear surrounds at a later stage.
    Hi Lord Spence,

The Sonos Playbar is also an incredible soundbar. Out of the box it would lack the bass of the Yamaha as the subwoofer needs to be added separately so in comparison the Playbar would sound a bit lighter.You can also add wireless rears to the Yamaha through the MusicCast system with Yamaha's wireless speakers. The Yamaha also has HDMI inputs which the Playbar does not so it can decode more sound formats.

Let me know what you think

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Hi Lord Spence,

The Sonos Playbar is also an incredible soundbar. Out of the box it would lack the bass of the Yamaha as the subwoofer needs to be added separately so in comparison the Playbar would sound a bit lighter.You can also add wireless rears to the Yamaha through the MusicCast system with Yamaha's wireless speakers. The Yamaha also has HDMI inputs which the Playbar does not so it can decode more sound formats.

Kind regards

David

Great thanks David, interesting will weigh up my options until black Friday, Yamaha looks excellent though.

Hi Lord Spence,

Kind regards

David

Great thanks David, interesting will weigh up my options until black Friday, Yamaha looks excellent though.
    No problem at all Lord Spence.

Drop us a post or PM once you are ready.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.