Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest android tablet?

Options
  • 27-10-2018 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

So looking for an android tablet for the little one. Seen a lenova one in d.i.d electric for 70 I think. Anyone what there like or anyone know any good cheap tablets. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Personally I would always suggest the Amazon Fire tablet. This one with a special protective case will set you back close on €95. But you can buy the 7" fire tablet without the case for less than €60 and if you thought you needed it you could pick up a case on Ebay for around 10 - 12 quid.

My 6 year old grandson got the Fire 8" tablet last Xmas and he uses it almost every day and it has never given a bit of bother. Whatever you do dont buy something with a brand name that you've never heard of and always check the specs before buying

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bonniek

muffler wrote: »
    Personally I would always suggest the Amazon Fire tablet. This one with a special protective case will set you back close on €95. But you can buy the 7" fire tablet without the case for less than €60 and if you thought you needed it you could pick up a case on Ebay for around 10 - 12 quid.

My 6 year old grandson got the Fire 8" tablet last Xmas and he uses it almost every day and it has never given a bit of bother. Whatever you do dont buy something with a brand name that you've never heard of and always check the specs before buying

Thank you but I'm looking for an android as my friend has the Amazon and I'm not a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

And I've 2 fires (ordinary ones) for my crew and locked down with 2 kids profiles. Stress free pad time no chances they will stumble on something they shouldnt. Got the spongy case on eBay

Wouldnt use one myself but for them it's perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

With tablets there is an old rule still in effect called "buy cheap buy twice"
    You won't get much fun out of a tablet that does not work properly. I would have also recommended the amazon fire ones.

• Advertisement

Bonniek wrote: »
    Thank you but I'm looking for an android as my friend has the Amazon and I'm not a fan
    But they run on an android based system

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bonniek

Harika wrote: »
    With tablets there is an old rule still in effect called "buy cheap buy twice"
    You won't get much fun out of a tablet that does not work properly. I would have also recommended the amazon fire ones.

But the amazon ones are the cheapest tablets on the market?

Bonniek wrote: »
    But the amazon ones are the cheapest tablets on the market?
    Really? A 1 minute search on Amazon found 8 of similar spec and well below the price of the Fire tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

muffler wrote: »
    But they run on an android based system

But they are locked to Amazon. So they can not be used to search other sites or even unlocked.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Is it for you or your kids?

As I said above if it's for kids it's perfect. If it's to shared by yourself look elsewhere

As someone said you can put Google Play store on it if you need to ans you can install other things and search other sites

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

AMKC wrote: »
    But they are locked to Amazon. So they can not be used to search other sites or even unlocked.

takes 5 minutes...

Echoing the "buy cheep buy twice" statement. I bought a cheap tablet for commuting, was hounded by the slowness of it, friend of mine had a fire and lent it to me for a week, I went online and bought one after the 2nd day.

AMKC wrote: »
    it takes less than a minute to de-register it and then you are free to install any apps you require

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have 2 fire 7" tablets. They are getting very slow to use especially the silk browser. The lack of youtube kids is a real drawback.
    I tried to put the playstore on them but it didn't work for me. The protective spongy covers are great though. You could bounce the tablet off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I retried loading the play store.
    On the 2nd attempt it worked.
    You have to restart the kindle after installing the 4 apks needed to set up the play store.

The memory on the kindle was low so I had to delete downloads from other apps.

I have youtube kids set up on it now.

OP the Kindle is fine for kids and it would be ok for casual browsing but you won't be able to put a lot of netflix downloads or other on it. I don't think you can use the sd card on it for downloads from netflix or the iplayer. They have to go on its internal storage which seems small.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

I've gotten a few Lenovo 10" - and there were perfect for my use (browsing, book-reading (kindle/amazon), audible, watching streaming TV, Videos, Netflix, checking work emails and buying (airline tickets) etc. etc.)

So - I would recommend them, especially if you are getting them at a good price.

Kindle/Fire: no experience, but they seem to be highly recommended.

I would stay away from cheap "generic" models.
    Also, I would not spent too much, no matter what you get, it will be outdated soon enough. Also they fall, get damaged and are lost - So don't spent too much on then either - get the best bargain quality/price.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭norabattie

Have the kindle fire and while I love it for reading, I find it very slow for the internet or anything like that so my recommendation would be to go for the Lenovo .

Advertisement