Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should self inflicted wounded people use our A&E departments?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I beg your pardon I have been asleep. I have not yet found a way to check replies whilst my eyes are closed...

Hmm.... posts at midnight on a Sat Night Sun morning, then goes straight to bed. I think I see the problem here.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

throwing it out there to see what others think. Here's what I think .

HSE A&E departments across the land choc a block with waiting hours sometimes around the 4hour wait. The name is 'accident and emergency'

If someone chooses to climb a mountain and falls and hurts themselves , is that an accident?

If someone gets blind drunk and falls over and hurt themselves or gets into a fight , is that an accident ?

if someone decides to run a marathon ( ;) ) and falls down due to exhaustion or has a heart attack , is that an accident?

those kind of things, and loads more like those situations , i am going to go out on a limb and say "no one forced you to do those things, and they are not 'accidents' " and so why should these kind of people block up A&E departments across the country - far better to take them to some kind of private hospital and charge them for the medical treatment they receive?

If someone is involved in a car accident through no fault of their own , its an accident and could also be an emergency situation.

If someone accidentally falls over at home and breaks a bone or a hip or something ... thats an accident.

if someone has a stroke at home , that is an emergency

If a child swallows a lego brick thats an emergency.

Why are we chocking up A&E departments with all and sundry people who for want of a better word has caused their own injury stretching the services and waiting times for other people who find themselves in A&E through no fault of their own?

Should we have some kind of an ambulance system whereby if an ambulance/paramedics is called out that they can determine on the spot where the person they pick up should go to ? ie either a HSE A&E department or a private hospital where the patient who has self inflicted wounds on themselves pick up the tab for their treatment too?

it could help to cut down A&E waiting times greatly for those that really need it?

I think you nned to re-read your own post.

Accident & *Emergency*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I once saw a woman sent away from A and E because as far as I could tell she was seen as just drunk and hysterical. I hear an EMT arguing that she had hit her head when she fell over but the doctor was having none of it.

Anyway yes everyone should use the service. Doctors need to be non judgemental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

i'm not even going to think about it - its the subject I am putting forward (and I am getting it now, people think its a stupid suggestion)

, its not about me or my family - off the top of my head there is nothing I can think of recreational wise where we would ever find ourselves in that situation that I could think of - you know like we dont go climbing mountans (we not me personly or my kids :) ) nor run marathons .. nor go out jogging nor do any dangerous activities .. so I think the only way we would find ourselves in A&E would be for reasons of an accident or emergency out of our control

A knife injury whilst food prepping can happen to anyone, absolutely anyone. Sometimes out of stupidity, sometimes just as a genuine accident. Whether caused by stupidity or not, it’s still a self-inflicted wound. Should chopping knife injuries therefore not be treated simply because they are self-inflicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

A knife injury whilst food prepping can happen to anyone, absolutely anyone. Sometimes out of stupidity, sometimes just as a genuine accident. Whether caused by stupidity or not, it’s still a self-inflicted wound. Should chopping knife injuries therefore not be treated simply because they are self-inflicted?

we have already established my idea has flaws ... but some of it could be put into action to help cut down waiting times in A&E and relieve pressures on doctors and nurses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Or we could pay doctors and nurses properly, increase funding to health and cater for everyone. But then Andy wouldn’t have anything to troll about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

we have already established my idea has flaws ... but some of it could be put into action to help cut down waiting times in A&E and relieve pressures on doctors and nurses

"Flaws'

You're as mad as a box of frogs.

Or we could pay doctors and nurses properly, increase funding to health and cater for everyone. But then Andy wouldn’t have anything to troll about

never gonna happen

what is this these days that everyone reads an idea that is a bit out there and a bit radical people think its trolling - I tell you what its awful easy to upset people these days!

Limerick A&E received a significant amount of additional funding (60million?) in the past couple of years, resulting in a new A&E department, with new imaging machines, yet the conditions there are possibly worse than before.
    I'm not sure it's really a funding issue.

I've a friend who believes drunks and addicts with chronic behaviour issues should either not be treated or not treated with public funds. When I look at people kept waiting with problems they had no choice in, I can see both of your points, to an extent.

The only A&E use I mind is the kind that should be obvious when a GP visit would be more appropriate and they do have notices in A&E listing symptoms that should be checked by a GP or out of hours clinic/Local Injury Unit. I once overheard a man saying he chose A&E because the doctors there prescribe ''better tablets''.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was born at home :)

most accidents occur in or close to home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

never gonna happen

what is this these days that everyone reads an idea that is a bit out there and a bit radical people think its trolling - I tell you what its awful easy to upset people these days!

Id wager that it's not the topic, it's you.

If someone else posted it, maybe it would have been a runner. Unfortunately, you may have consistently undermined yourself in the past by posting shyte, so much so that nobody takes you seriously.

Chewbacca wrote: »
    Id wager that it's not the topic, it's you.

If someone else posted it, maybe it would have been a runner. Unfortunately, you may have consistently undermined yourself in the past by posting shyte, so much so that nobody takes you seriously.

there is that maybe - my reputation seems to precedes me that is the problem so that now whenever i start off with a post on boards like " I think this should happen ..." - people dont take me seriously haha

ah well life is not supposed to be serious is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Andy has started a lot of interesting threads on here to be fair! May not always be what most people agree with but its more enjoyable topics than the usual boring things dicsussed on after hours

• never gonna happen

A bit out there?

You’re idea is just plain stupid. Its not a bit “out there” or anything else it’s jidt plain old silly.

A bit out there?

You’re idea is just plain stupid. Its not a bit “out there” or anything else it’s jidt plain old silly.

God - dont pull back any punches .. why dont you say what you really mean .

Was it all stupid? - or just parts of it stupid? (in your opinion that is, I am sure you dont speak for the whole boards members?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

God - dont pull back any punches .. why dont you say what you really mean .

Was it all stupid? - or just parts of it stupid? (in your opinion that is, I am sure you dont speak for the whole boards members?)

Entirely stupid, it sounded like you drunkenly came up with an idea and decided to post it. That's not how radical or innovative ideas tend to come about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

wakka12 wrote: »
    Andy has started a lot of interesting threads on here to be fair! May not always be what most people agree with but its more enjoyable topics than the usual boring things dicsussed on after hours

Petrol station one was a classic in fairness to him

yeah, i will never forget that one or live it down .. nearly choked to death so I did

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭elstingeo

A&E process patients based upon a triage system which means that the most ill or injured patients are seen first. If someone has been waiting a very long time this is most probably because they have a high chance of survival and do not need extremely urgent care.

Medicine and medical care has never been based upon a system of favouritism or judgemental logic. It is based upon sound ethical decision whilst adhering to an oath to first do no harm.

Regardless of how a patient has injured themselves, they must be seen to.

Although I can understand and see where you are coming from and that maybe a possible out of hours doctor or primary care centre could in theory take some load off the already stretched HSE,
    I do not think this is possible based upon the current system at the moment.

Also if one presents themselves to an out of hours dr they are usually sent to hospital if they require some form of treatment and if it is not urgent they are sent home.

elstingeo wrote: »
    A&E process patients based upon a triage system which means that the most ill or injured patients are seen first. If someone has been waiting a very long time this is most probably because they have a high chance of survival and do not need extremely urgent care.

Medicine and medical care has never been based upon a system of favouritism or judgemental logic. It is based upon sound ethical decision whilst adhering to an oath to first do no harm.

well it is based a bit on favouritism then if the patient is seen by triage nurse first and if she/he decides who can and cannot wait to get treatment - and the judgmental logic could fail as well - maybe there should be a better system where regardless of infliction old people and children and disabled people should be pushed towards the start of the list to get them sorted first and on their way or admitted to a ward if needed (and if one is available)

Regardless of how a patient has injured themselves, they must be seen to.

Although I can understand and see where you are coming from and that maybe a possible out of hours doctor or primary care centre could in theory take some load off the already stretched HSE,

indeed - and I think a lot of 1st world countries already have this kind of set up or similar

I do not think this is possible based upon the current system at the moment.

Also if one presents themselves to an out of hours dr they are usually sent to hospital if they require some form of treatment and if it is not urgent they are sent home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Feck sake, Andy - its late. Go to bed...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Feck sake, Andy - its late. Go to bed...

OK Mum ...

• OK Mum ...

don’t get smart with yer ma

oh no .. here comes the wooden spoon! ....

• oh no .. here comes the wooden spoon! ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Sometimes you read a post or opinion and you say to yourself this person should not be allowed speak or have an opinion. This is one of those times. Such unmitigated stupidity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Dear Andy,

On behalf of other Andys, and people from Sligo, please stop giving both a bad name with these daft threads.

I mean... Jesus.

Is there a link? Boards search engine never works for me. :)

Andy's threads are AH appropriate, I think. At least they're not vicious.

I see bullying is rife still in AH and supremacy rules where one person can can post a load of crap but another person cannot - some things never change.

let me know when I can take this gun away from your heads holding ye hostage and forcing you to read and join in with my posts

EDIT: checks to see if "attack the post, not the poster" still exists in rules for Boards.ie ...

• Advertisement

I see bullying is rife still in AH and supremacy rules where one person can can post a load of crap but another person cannot - some things never change.

let me know when I can take this gun away from your heads holding ye hostage and forcing you to read and join in with my posts

EDIT: checks to see if "attack the post, not the poster" still exists in rules for Boards.ie ...

It's a really sh***y atmosphere here at times. It ruins any potential for a bit of craic.

Advertisement