Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comfy lid for a 19 year old girl

Options
  • 28-10-2018 5:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My 19 year old daughter has signed up for a 2 day charity cycle between Dublin and Galway this coming January. She's a novice, but cycles regularly as a mode of transport, so I reckon she'll have no problem with it fitness wise given a bit of regular training. Main problem at the moment is she doesn't normally wear a helmet, but will need to for the event. She tried her sister's one today but found it very uncomfortable to the extent that we abandoned our short initial training spin. Any recommendations for a good lid for a gal that normally keeps her hair in a bun, or is it just a matter of trying on everything in the local cycle shop? Also looking at picking her up some half-way decent winter wear, so any recommendations welcome. She currently has zero cycling wear. I've always gone DHB myself for a decent / quality price combo but amn't too picky.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

smacl wrote: »
    My 19 year old daughter has signed up for a 2 day charity cycle between Dublin and Galway this coming January. She's a novice, but cycles regularly as a mode of transport, so I reckon she'll have no problem with it fitness wise given a bit of regular training. Main problem at the moment is she doesn't normally wear a helmet, but will need to for the event. She tried her sister's one today but found it very uncomfortable to the extent that we abandoned our short initial training spin. Any recommendations for a good lid for a gal that normally keeps her hair in a bun, or is it just a matter of trying on everything in the local cycle shop? Also looking at picking her up some half-way decent winter wear, so any recommendations welcome. She currently has zero cycling wear. I've always gone DHB myself for a decent / quality price combo but amn't too picky.

DHB clothing is great.
    Regarding the helmet, i cant imagine with her hair in a bun any helmet will fit comfortably and certainly not securely.

Yeah my parter opts for a plait on the bike, I've become quite good at them :o

I'd say go try some helmets on in the LBS, you don't have to spend a fortune but in my experience of ordering them online with my big head some brands can make you look like a mushroom head and I doubt she'd like that :D

Not sure about the ladies DHB stuff but I find with the mens I have to go a size up. No complaints in terms of price and quality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

She'll need to take her hair out of the bun. Pony tail pulled through the back of the helmet is the only way, have had to stop and redo my hair if it is tied too high as it makes the helmet uncomfortable.
    Pop into shops and try on different helmets (without the bun). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The issue is the hair in the bun not the helmet.

For a spin in January shes better off with the hair down and a bandana to keep it in place

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Personally I'd opt for a chapeau and buff to complement the lid. As a short haired man one assumes that hair could be routed down the buff and thus be kept pretty much in check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Only time I wear my hair on a bun is on the bike, my hair is really long so prefer that to a ponytail blowing around in the wind. Some helmets come with a ponytail bit in the back so you can put your hair through it. My Kask and Specialized helmets have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I find planetx cycling gear good for winter wear. Probably be on par with dhb for pricing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I often have my hair in a bun on the bike, I put it in between the helmet itself and the retention system. It's grand like. She might want to try putting her hair up with grips, I find that good, there's no lump of hair to get in the way or fight against if you know what I mean.
    I find dhb kit good, I have a short body and long legs, they tend to be short in front, which suits me down to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Planet X have amazing deals, at the moment, on Carnac helmets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Good to know the bun is a possibility at least, I'll drag her down to the LBS and see what they've got and have a mooch online with her for the rest of the gear.

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    I often have my hair in a bun on the bike, I put it in between the helmet itself and the retention system. It's grand like. She might want to try putting her hair up with grips, I find that good, there's no lump of hair to get in the way or fight against if you know what I mean.
    I find dhb kit good, I have a short body and long legs, they tend to be short in front, which suits me down to the ground.

Thats the exact issue I have with DHB stuff, I'd be the other way around longer body shorter legs and find the tops on the short side and I'm only average height. So if the OP can work out the proportions they should save time on returns to wiggle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

nak wrote: »
    Only time I wear my hair on a bun is on the bike, my hair is really long so prefer that to a ponytail blowing around in the wind. Some helmets come with a ponytail bit in the back so you can put your hair through it. My Kask and Specialized helmets have it.
    nee wrote: »

How do you this? Do you thread the bun through the back? :confused:

I mean my hair is just thrown up at that time of the morning, often in a 'bun' but it's low enough on my head that it threads through the back of the helmet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

How do you this? Do you thread the bun through the back? :confused:

I mean my hair is just thrown up at that time of the morning, often in a 'bun' but it's low enough on my head that it threads through the back of the helmet.

Exactly what you said there, bun down low and it fits between the edge of the helmet and the retention system, essentially threading it through the back made. It's about all I can manage of a morning!
    The bobby pin method is my favourite. I have curly hair, so I just fire pins in till it's all up and there's no ball of hair to annoyingly wedge against the helmet.

Advertisement