Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Marathon 5th May 2019

• 28-10-2018 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

This race has traditionally been held on a course that was both uninspiring and tough. However, with much fanfare, the route for 2019 has been unveiled, keeping the race in the city, promising a faster and flatter course. Early bird entry at £38/£40 until the end of October, with the lower price for A.C. members.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

Has the course profile or route been revealed? I was going to do do Limerick that weekend but if the course is fast I might give this a go instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Has the course profile or route been revealed? I was going to do do Limerick that weekend but if the course is fast I might give this a go instead.

New route on the website, but no elevation profile. It’s promised to be faster, but I couldn’t say more than that. Limerick is a fair enough course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm thinking about doing this but I'm not sure I want to put myself through a marathon on my birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

£40 early bird finishes tonight.... think I might bail in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭muloc

£40 early bird finishes tonight.... think I might bail in

Any codes going? I'd take that 40 now seeing Dublin's now 83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Race starts at Stormont outside the city - wonder will bags be transported to the finish or will there be shuttles to Stormont?

website is lacking a lot of detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Race starts at Stormont outside the city - wonder will bags be transported to the finish or will there be shuttles to Stormont?

website is lacking a lot of detail.

Any update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Soulsun wrote: »
    Any update?

Got an email from them, there will be shuttles to the start and bags will be moved to finish line.

I bit the bullet and signed up for what will be my 3rd marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Does anyone know what happens if you are running the relay? Basically I'm looking for fast marathon... Hoping for a pb for this Clydesdale, and my wife and friends will be hoping to do about 13.1 distance so this race caught our eye.

If they do relay would there be shuttle bus onto the final line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Was looking for an elevation profile with no luck so emailed them. This was the reply...

Although we don’t have an official gradient map as such for release, I can tell you that the Elevation Gain / Loss is 351m / -377m, Max slope: 5.4% / -6.5% and average slope is 1.1% / -1.2% with highest peak coming at the Ardoyne Road area at 73m.

Dont know how to interpret that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Was looking for an elevation profile with no luck so emailed them. This was the reply...

Although we don’t have an official gradient map as such for release, I can tell you that the Elevation Gain / Loss is 351m / -377m, Max slope: 5.4% / -6.5% and average slope is 1.1% / -1.2% with highest peak coming at the Ardoyne Road area at 73m.

Dont know how to interpret that though!

You'd imagine if they have this info they have an elevation profile. Strange response indeed.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

I’d interpret that as pretty hilly, with a couple of sharp sections. 1,000 feet elevation gain over marathon distance is not flat and fast. However, it sounds like someone ran the distance with a gps watch on them and that’s the figures they got, hard to say how reliable that would be.

Shame it can't be mapped on mapmyrun, I think that would give the profile. Though not sure how accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭AhhHere

Thought I'd give this a bump as I'm training for BCM myself and wanted to see how other folks are getting on?

I've mapped out the route on Strava too but I wouldn't follow this blindly as I don't know the area too well and their map was a little different to the Route Builder. Check it out here: https://imgur.com/1tKqNH2

Gives a rough idea of where to expect hills. Mile 17 is the biggy

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

AhhHere wrote: »
    Thought I'd give this a bump as I'm training for BCM myself and wanted to see how other folks are getting on?

I've mapped out the route on Strava too but I wouldn't follow this blindly as I don't know the area too well and their map was a little different to the Route Builder. Check it out here: https://imgur.com/1tKqNH2

Gives a rough idea of where to expect hills. Mile 17 is the biggy

Thanks ahhhere
    Training is going well, looking forward to it now. I still haven’t recieved my race pack yet- I think the organisers are sending them out in batches.

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Thanks ahhhere
    Training is going well, looking forward to it now. I still haven’t recieved my race pack yet- I think the organisers are sending them out in batches.

Yeah they are. Seen a batch of them go out at the start of the month. They were retweeting people who posted about it. Haven't seen any more tweets since then so presuming they're doing once a month. I'd expect mine early march.

Got my number this week. 5 weeks, 3 days to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kissyfer

I noticed that the only headphones permitted are those bone conduction open ear ones. They will hardly be too strict on this be hard to make sure thousands of people arent using normal headphones surely

Kissyfer wrote:
    I noticed that the only headphones permitted are those bone conduction open ear ones. They will hardly be too strict on this be hard to make sure thousands of people arent using normal headphones surely

Pretty easy to marshal. Very easy to see the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Giving this a bump. This Sunday so squeaky bum time for those of us in the final week of taper...... Fingers crossed the weather will be as mild as this weekend..... Who's taking part? And what are the targets ?? Seemingly 17,000 signed up so a big field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Giving this a bump. This Sunday so squeaky bum time for those of us in the final week of taper...... Fingers crossed the weather will be as mild as this weekend..... Who's taking part? And what are the targets ?? Seemingly 17,000 signed up so a big field

I assume that includes relay runners, and is not the full marathon runners figure!

Looking forward to Sunday. Forecast looks mild enough. Training has gone alright for me, unfortunately lost a few weeks in February, but put together a few good weeks in March/April.

My goal is 2:59. I’m hopeful, but uncertain of hitting it. Last couple of long runs were very encouraging, hitting 14 miles PMP in last 20 miler. Hamstring has been a bit tight this last week, but don’t think it’ll be a major issue. I’ll certainly start in sub3 group, most likely still be there at 18-20 miles and hopefully be stubborn and strong enough to hold on. Race number is 769.

Best of luck everyone. I'm out of the race unfortunately. But I'll be heading up regardless to support. If anyone fancies a late marathon, they're welcome to my number free of charge. Will be in Belfast from Saturday.

Side note, Does anyone know good spots to view friends? I'd like to move around to a few spots if possible.

AhhHere wrote: »
    Best of luck everyone. I'm out of the race unfortunately. But I'll be heading up regardless to support. If anyone fancies a late marathon, they're welcome to my number free of charge. Will be in Belfast from Saturday.

Side note, Does anyone know good spots to view friends? I'd like to move around to a few spots if possible.

AhhHere, that's a shame, sorry to hear that.

Training has gone really well, hopefully more of the same on Sunday!

Goal A: to finish!
    Goal B: 3:59:59- I am heading out with the 4hr pacers and hopefully I stick with them till the finish!
    Goal C: 4:10

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Training has gone really well, hopefully more of the same on Sunday!

Goal A: to finish!
    Goal B: 3:59:59- I am heading out with the 4hr pacers and hopefully I stick with them till the finish!
    Goal C: 4:10

You've got this. Best of luck

This is my 3rd marathon. My times were 5:08 and then 4:32 so this time I'm hoping to get down to around 4 hours but I'm not too pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Apparently the course was 0.4 miles longer than it should of been today, according to reports!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/48169540

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Apparently the course was 0.4 miles longer than it should of been today, according to reports!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/48169540

Advertisement