Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC health insurance

• 29-10-2018 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi guys, I've been comparing health insurance packages all weekend ahead of my trip to Canada (Working holiday visa). I wouldn't stay in Canada for the full 2 years but go back and forth between Ireland and Canada.
    I see most insurance companies have limitations as to how many times you are allowed trips home (USIT allow you 5 trips home not exceeding 28 days); can anyone recommend an insurance provider that covers you for unlimited trips home?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There is nothing stopping you from having multiple policies. In my experience, it comes down to which policy you claim under if you make a claim. The reason for the restriction is simply risk, the more you travel, the more you are likely to claim. Hence you can take out a separate unlimited policy or a per trip policy to cover your trips home, or outside the number permitted on your other insurance.

You can also take out another policy to increase your coverage, you simply declare to each insurer that you are doing this and you ensure you do not claim for the same item twice.

Just FYI on the back/forth, it is much more expensive to fly from Canada to Ireland, than it is to fly from Ireland to Canada. It sounds daft, but I'd try setting up your trips so you are flying from Dublin return, as opposed to say Toronto return. Likewise stay abreast of deals and book way in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Will you really be able to afford more than 5 return trips to Ireland? The CAD is brutal when you bring it home with you so trips will cost a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CATSEYES8787

I'm not sure yet how much I'll be using the visa in Canada so ideally, I'm looking for health insurance that'll give me maximum flexibility. True Traveller seems to be the only one allowing unlimited trips home but it comes at a hefty 600eu! (though covers worldwide). The cheaper ones like USIT only allow 2-3 trips home. Thanks for the tip about return flights from Ireland, worth keeping in mind :)

Advertisement