Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old light switch wiring

Options
  • 29-10-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm trying to install a new 1 way dimmer light switch, but I've came across a problem. 2 wires are same colour, with no labels inside the old switch, which is an old black volex, maybe 40 years old. Has anyone ever worked with one of these and be familiar which wire is which. Attached are pics of the old switch. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

On your new dimmer switch
    One wire into com
    Other wire into L1

It shouldn’t really matter which cable goes into either

Make sure to turn power off when doing this

You should use a plastic dimmer switch as a metal one will require an earth wire

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cav93

meercat wrote: »
    On your new dimmer switch
    One wire into com
    Other wire into L1

It shouldn’t really matter which cable goes into either

Make sure to turn power off when doing this

You should use a plastic dimmer switch as a metal one will require an earth wire

Thanks got sorted, turns out the dimmer switch was rubbish, blew my bulb, so I just put on a normal switch again then.

Advertisement