Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In search of Real Pork

Options
  • 29-10-2018 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Does anyone know where a body might buy Pork Belly that came off a decent sized animal and hasn't been through a meat factory?

I like to make my own smoked bacon but can't get decent sized Pork Belly anymore.

What I need is a supplier/grower/farmer who rear, kill and sell their own pigs - Real Pork.

I'm in Wexford but don't mind traveling if I can get what I need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Rigneys farm curraghchase, co Limerick . Could be expensive, never bought from them myself

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Allrounder

Well it's a start point. Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Keenan and Kennedy butcher in Dublin has really good pork belly. They rear, kill and butcher their own pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

My butcher Lawlors in Rathmines gets his pork from this crowd. Pork chops are thick cut and have plenty of fat on them. Have bought pork belly for smoking but I get the skin and most of the fat removed but it's very good quality. They have plenty of other stockists

http://saltersfarm.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The whole hoggs. (Google for website)

Not very convenient for Wexford but I'm sure they'd sort you somehow if you call them.

A number of good leads there which will be followed up in quick time.

I'm trying to avoid the factories as what they sell is generally not up to what I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone and I'm still open to more leads if anyone else has any.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I see Inagh free range farm most weeks at ennis farmers market. Its pork looks amazing and I keep meaning to try it but as I live alone I'm always trying to empty the freezers a bit more before I buy any more meat.
    I think they might be what your looking for but they are based in Co. Clare I'd say you could discuss what you need with them on Facebook and they would probably send it (ive no idea really)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I've gotten nice pork belly of Coolanowle Farm. Their website is here . I usually buy off them at a market in Dublin, but their website says they also go to Kilkenny and Carlow Farmers markets. You can order online and collect from one of the locations also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I don't think you can beat James Whelan, quality is amazing and prices not too bad either

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/proddetail.php?prod=6431

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try James Whelan butcher, or also search for Velvet pork. Thumbs up too for the Whole Hogg. Their meat is very good.

Really appreciate all the suggestions and I’m following up all of them in my search for the ultimate Pork Belly so I can make the ultimate Smoked Streaky Bacon. Dreaming of making a real BLT before Christmas.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

+1 for Coolanowle, I find them very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Allrounder wrote: »
    Really appreciate all the suggestions and I’m following up all of them in my search for the ultimate Pork Belly so I can make the ultimate Smoked Streaky Bacon. Dreaming of making a real BLT before Christmas.:)

Keep us posted please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Keep us posted please. :)

Yeah, and your methodology would be nice too. I'd love to try this myself but my area has pests and I'd not chance hanging meat in the shed.

I'll definitely post up any results - good or bad.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Yeah, and your methodology would be nice too. I'd love to try this myself but my area has pests and I'd not chance hanging meat in the shed.

I dry cure my Pork/Bacon for 5 days in my fridge before smoking it.

I'll write up the method I use for curing and smoking and post it here at the weekend. It's quite simple, consistent and very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Horan's pork shop in Athlone town is excellent. Castlemine farm shop in Roscommon is excellent too.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

Woodside Farm in East Cork sell the most delicious bacon and sausages.

http://www.woodsidefarm.ie

All rare breed pork and outdoor reared, so I imagine the fresh pork should be top class too. Their streaky rashers are incredible, so I'm guessing the pork belly must be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Allrounder wrote: »
    Does anyone know where a body might buy Pork Belly that came off a decent sized animal and hasn't been through a meat factory?

I like to make my own smoked bacon but can't get decent sized Pork Belly anymore.

What I need is a supplier/grower/farmer who rear, kill and sell their own pigs - Real Pork.

I'm in Wexford but don't mind traveling if I can get what I need.

Call O’Neill’s near Enniscorthy and see www.oneillsbacon.ie

• Advertisement

My Bacon making method as promised.

When making my Smoked Streaky Bacon I use a curing mix called Supercure from a company called Weschenfelder in England.

https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk

The following is my method for curing the Pork Belly and getting it ready for smoking.

Curing Mixture per Kilo of meat is;
    50g Supercure
    10g Golden Caster Sugar

You can also add other flavourings according to your own taste e.g. Maple Syrup or a drop of Whiskey

Mix the Supercure and Caster Sugar (and any other flavours you want) ensuring there are no lumps. Apply evenly to the meat working well into every part of the surface.

Piercing the meat with a tenderizing tool greatly aids the curing process.

Place the meat in a Ziploc bag and exclude all air before sealing. Alternatively, vacuum pack the meat. Place the bag in the fridge for 5 days.

Flip the bag over each day and massage the brine, that develops in the bag, into the meat.

When the curing time is over remove the meat and wash thoroughly under cold running water. Pat dry and take a small sample slice to cook and taste test the saltiness.

If the meat is too salty soak it in warm water for 1 hour then pat dry with kitchen towel and test again.

Once you are satisfied with the flavour wrap the meat in muslin and place on a rack, over a drip tray, in the fridge for 2-3 days to allow it form a pellicule. (sticky surface)

The Bacon is now ready for cold smoking.

I sent out emails to almost all the suggested companies but, unfortunately, got no replies so the search goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I dont think any companies read emails anymore unfortunately, try them by phone facebook or twitter

vicwatson wrote: »
    I dont think any companies read emails anymore unfortunately, try them by phone facebook or twitter

It would appear so. I can't imagine an Irish company not grabbing every bit of business they can get :o

Thanks for the tip I'll give the old telephone a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know if the Whole Hogg still sell at the Glasnevin Food Market on Saturdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Whole Hogg still sell at the Glasnevin Food Market on Saturdays?

They do.

Advertisement