Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatic lamb feeder, no ESB

• 29-10-2018 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭

Lads, looking forward now to lambing and what I need to setup.

This year, I'm building a new lambing shed but will not have any power until next summer. Anyone know any automatic lamb feeder systems that don't need power? Setting up a battery system is just not feasible for heating water.

Might have to just go with bottles for the first couple of days per lamb and then onto cold ad lib. Anyone do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nagshead

For the last few years I have put pets straight into pen with a uniblock bucket with 6 teats drilled into the bottom , I'd say one out of every twenty is hard to get sucking otherwise its a great job . Should point out its cold lamlac ad lib and they all either sucked or were tubed beastings before going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

How many pet lambs would you need to justify buying a lamb feeder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, looking forward now to lambing and what I need to setup.

This year, I'm building a new lambing shed but will not have any power until next summer. Anyone know any automatic lamb feeder systems that don't need power? Setting up a battery system is just not feasible for heating water.

Might have to just go with bottles for the first couple of days per lamb and then onto cold ad lib. Anyone do this?

2 opyions,cold milk or sell lambs. Former is worse than the latter in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

would ya have many pet lambs?
    ya could bring them back to the house, at least till they're strong enough to go on the cold ad lib

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

ganmo wrote: »
    would ya have many pet lambs?
    ya could bring them back to the house, at least till they're strong enough to go on the cold ad lib

Yeah, did that last year. Problem is a lot of times you need a pet lamb handy to throw on a ewe that just lost one. The moment is gone if you have to get in the jeep and head over and back to the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

arctictree wrote: »
    Yeah, did that last year. Problem is a lot of times you need a pet lamb handy to throw on a ewe that just lost one. The moment is gone if you have to get in the jeep and head over and back to the house.

in that case look for a few insulated flasks/containers to bring hot water from the house, a hot water bottle to instead of hot boxes and maybe a camping stove.

Advertisement