Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Marathoner

Options
  • 30-10-2018 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Starting this fresh out of DCM 2018, still in the midst of DOMS but raring to go again.

Late 20s female, with no background in fitness or sports whatsoever, who decided 2.5 years ago to do couch to 5k purely for fitness. Swore to everyone around me “I JUST want to be able to run for half an hour”..

I caught the bug and signed up to my first race, Rock ‘n’ Roll Dublin 10k with the goal of sub 60 minutes. I finished in 57:58 absolute thrilled! I took a few weeks off then, again swearing I was done. Kept at the running over the winter for basic fitness and to keep the weight down.

Next big one was the ladies mini marathon, and by now I was showing some improvements in speed and loving it! The feeling of thousands of women around me running for various causes was amazing and I was flying it for the first 5k (pb in that alone!) until crack! Foot went from under me. Hobbled the last 5k determined, and somehow finished just 11 seconds over my rock ‘n’ roll time. Physio diagnosed Achilles tendinopathy and had dislocated front part of my foot so no running for 6 weeks. Those 6 weeks were what led to my real start in running!

Once I was back running I signed up to a 5k race determined to be fast! I set the big goal of going sub 25 (Pb was 26.30). I did it in 24:30 and felt amazing!! After that I nervously but excitedly signed up to my first half, with the goal of sub 2. I finished in 1:58:05. That was my first experience of a training plan and I was hooked!

Since then I’ve followed plans, gotten pbs, had setbacks, finished first, joined a club and have now completed my first marathon in sub 4.

This is just the beginning :)

PBs
    5k: 22:30
    10k: 48:01
    HM: 1:54:18
    Marathon: 3:54:23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yaay I was saying to eyrie and Huzzah! in McGrattan's that I'd love to see you start a log :) I shall definitely enjoy this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Yaay I was saying to eyrie and Huzzah! in McGrattan's that I'd love to see you start a log :) I shall definitely enjoy this one!

Aww thank you V! Not really sure what I’m doing but will give it a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Yayyy, welcome to the logs! Delighted to see this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Very impressive marathon debut! Congrats and good luck with the log and your running future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

+1 to all the above. Looking forward to this one too. Great marathon debut. Onwards and upwards for you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Delighted to see this. I didn't get to say hi in McG's but I gave you a shout out in Milltown.

I'm way behind you in terms of times, but it's great to have logs with times to aspire to. I'll be following with interest.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Delighted to see this. I didn't get to say hi in McG's but I gave you a shout out in Milltown.

I'm way behind you in terms of times, but it's great to have logs with times to aspire to. I'll be following with interest.

No way?! I did hear my name a couple of times around the route but didn't look around as wasn't expecting anyone to know me :P Thank you!

So I guess I’ll get the ball rolling with a race report of sorts..

I had decided early in the year I was going to run a marathon. After talks with the OH about the pros and cons of home or away, I agreed that Dublin 2019 had to be the first. The plan has never been to do a marathon.. but to start doing marathons. I’ll do my first in 2019, then another in 2020, keep me in shape for the wedding! And go from there.. but, unsurprisingly, once I had settled on the idea I wanted it now! So Dublin 2018 it was.

I wasn’t training for anything in particular at the time but had been steadily building the mileage up from 30mpw to 40mpw over the spring. I couldn’t wait to get started on a plan.

The OH laid out a couple of Jack Daniel’s plans and one stood out to me. It consisted of 4 week rotations, with an easy week every 4. It appealed to me as I could change it after 4 weeks if it wasn’t working out. During week 1’s long run - 10 mile or a 14 mile (can’t remember) I stopped after one loop of the planned route and rang the OH, questioning if I was cut out for this. Physically I was fine, but I was severely bored and unmotivated and thought, maybe this wasn’t the right decision. Maybe I need another year. So I jogged home and thought some more about it and decided to give it one more week of the plan to get a taste of the long run sessions to see if they suited me better, and make a decision about DCM based on that. And it worked, I loved them!

Over the next few weeks training I was on a constant high. I felt fitter and stronger than I ever have before. I had lots of local races on the calendar and I was seeing improvements in the shape of pbs weekly! I couldn’t get enough. After a few weeks of this I found my easy run paces creeping up, but I reassured myself “I’m just faster now, my paces are all adjusted”.. it was fun while it lasted but last it did not. I began to have bad pains in one hip, that was pulling on my quad during long runs. I kept it at bay with foam rolling and Epsom salt baths. I entered the JJ Reddy HM a few weeks out to confirm my marathon pace and I fell apart during it. I started with the 1:50 pacer and took off on my own after just 5k with no control. My pace dropped rapidly over the next kms and I watched the 1:50 pace group fly past me. I finished in 1:54, saying goodbye to my 3:40 marathon goal. It was a massive kick up the bum!

Following advice from Mentors and OH, I slowed down. I aimed for a pace on my easy runs instead of going by feel. I enjoyed it again. I adjusted my marathon goal from 3:40 to 3:45 and then to 3:50. It was drawing near now so decisions were made, I would stick to the 3:50 pacer all the way, safe option, enjoy the first marathon.

DCM-Day
    I woke up feeling refreshed and raring to go. I’m a massive worrier and had lost my mind the days leading up to marathon day but that was mostly gone, I wanted to do it. I ate my porridge,got dressed, packed my flip belt with 4 energy gels, tissues and baby wipes (for sticky gel hands) and plastered myself in Vaseline. I walked to town shivering, nervous but excited. It was so quiet, almost peaceful. I was too late to meet the novices at the shelbourne, they had moved on to their waves so I walked on with my OH. We came to a stop, I hadn’t realized this is where he was leaving me. I don’t do much things alone, and it was just me from this point. I think that’s most of the reason why the marathon meant so much to me, throughout the training and the race it was just me. So the real nerves set in here and I looked like a child heading into school for her first day, with my socks on my arms and my big pink headband (all I could find in Penney’s ahead of the cold forecast). I stopped at the queue for the portaloo (nervous pee no doubt) only to be ushered on to my wave area where “the queues would be much shorter”. HA! I took my place at the back of a long, and unclear queue of many where I would slowly move up, checking my watch constantly over the next 25 minutes. I really needed to go now but the start time of 9:15 was getting real close! But there was so many people still queuing, they’re not panicking? Maybe the race starts late? I couldn’t give up my place at this stage, after all this time? A queue skipper uttered something about it only counting once we step over that mat - something that would matter a lot to me soon.

I got to the top of the queue at something like 9:14:40! Got in and out quick and took off towards start line unsure of what to expect. I saw a massive crowd, and a big red balloon - 4:00. No! My wave is gone! I ran towards 4hr pacer trying to quickly form a plan. I saw some others run around the side instead of towards the crowd and I followed them, I kept running, in front of the crowd making their way slowly up the road and I saw a start line in front of me. It was so surreal starting a race alone, only a few stragglers around me. But I was running, and had to come up with a plan. I knew I had to take the first 7 miles easy so I settled into a good pace but didn’t push. After a couple of miles I noticed my average was 5:30/km (a little slower than the 5:27/km the 3:50 pacer was doing, and a lot slower than the pace I had trained at during MP sessions 5:12/km). I had decided for the first time in a long time to stop being competitive with myself and enjoy it. Savour every moment. Do a good time, but be comfortable. The first 13 miles were beautiful. I was completely at ease physically and mentally. I high fived the kids, smiled at and thanked the crowds, encouraged those struggling. I made a point of acknowledging how good I felt as a sort of trick for my brain in case I ran into trouble.

For the second half of the race, there was slightly more pain. I felt a worrying pain over my knee, a little hip pain from an ongoing injury, and a bad stitch in the last couple of miles. But I hadn’t much trouble keeping the pace. I dropped back a little to 5:40 at times but once I saw the finish line I started to sprint. I finished in 3:54:23. I had something left in the tank to bring with me to the next one!

I felt like a superstar the whole race. The crowds restored faith in the world. I choked up a few times throughout and at the finish line at the sheer pride I felt in myself - something I don’t think I’ve truly ever felt before. I did it. I stuck to a plan, I got through bad days and victories, and I did it all alone. I nervously met my fellow novices in McGrattans and it was honestly like I already knew them. Doing this alone but having the support of the mentors and fellow novices never made it feel like I was alone.

I am chewing at the bit to go again.

Loved every minute.

Future Plans
    I’m registered for Waterford AC half, which I ran last year and loved! The hat has kept me warm on many a winter run. The plan after that is to cut back to shorter stuff for the start of the year and hit some pbs hopefully. And then onto DCM 19!

I had decided early in the year I was going to run a marathon. After talks with the OH about the pros and cons of home or away, I agreed that Dublin 2019 had to be the first. The plan has never been to do a marathon.. but to start doing marathons. I’ll do my first in 2019, then another in 2020, keep me in shape for the wedding! And go from there.. but, unsurprisingly, once I had settled on the idea I wanted it now! So Dublin 2018 it was.

I wasn’t training for anything in particular at the time but had been steadily building the mileage up from 30mpw to 40mpw over the spring. I couldn’t wait to get started on a plan.

The OH laid out a couple of Jack Daniel’s plans and one stood out to me. It consisted of 4 week rotations, with an easy week every 4. It appealed to me as I could change it after 4 weeks if it wasn’t working out. During week 1’s long run - 10 mile or a 14 mile (can’t remember) I stopped after one loop of the planned route and rang the OH, questioning if I was cut out for this. Physically I was fine, but I was severely bored and unmotivated and thought, maybe this wasn’t the right decision. Maybe I need another year. So I jogged home and thought some more about it and decided to give it one more week of the plan to get a taste of the long run sessions to see if they suited me better, and make a decision about DCM based on that. And it worked, I loved them!

Over the next few weeks training I was on a constant high. I felt fitter and stronger than I ever have before. I had lots of local races on the calendar and I was seeing improvements in the shape of pbs weekly! I couldn’t get enough. After a few weeks of this I found my easy run paces creeping up, but I reassured myself “I’m just faster now, my paces are all adjusted”.. it was fun while it lasted but last it did not. I began to have bad pains in one hip, that was pulling on my quad during long runs. I kept it at bay with foam rolling and Epsom salt baths. I entered the JJ Reddy HM a few weeks out to confirm my marathon pace and I fell apart during it. I started with the 1:50 pacer and took off on my own after just 5k with no control. My pace dropped rapidly over the next kms and I watched the 1:50 pace group fly past me. I finished in 1:54, saying goodbye to my 3:40 marathon goal. It was a massive kick up the bum!

Following advice from Mentors and OH, I slowed down. I aimed for a pace on my easy runs instead of going by feel. I enjoyed it again. I adjusted my marathon goal from 3:40 to 3:45 and then to 3:50. It was drawing near now so decisions were made, I would stick to the 3:50 pacer all the way, safe option, enjoy the first marathon.

DCM-Day
    I woke up feeling refreshed and raring to go. I’m a massive worrier and had lost my mind the days leading up to marathon day but that was mostly gone, I wanted to do it. I ate my porridge,got dressed, packed my flip belt with 4 energy gels, tissues and baby wipes (for sticky gel hands) and plastered myself in Vaseline. I walked to town shivering, nervous but excited. It was so quiet, almost peaceful. I was too late to meet the novices at the shelbourne, they had moved on to their waves so I walked on with my OH. We came to a stop, I hadn’t realized this is where he was leaving me. I don’t do much things alone, and it was just me from this point. I think that’s most of the reason why the marathon meant so much to me, throughout the training and the race it was just me. So the real nerves set in here and I looked like a child heading into school for her first day, with my socks on my arms and my big pink headband (all I could find in Penney’s ahead of the cold forecast). I stopped at the queue for the portaloo (nervous pee no doubt) only to be ushered on to my wave area where “the queues would be much shorter”. HA! I took my place at the back of a long, and unclear queue of many where I would slowly move up, checking my watch constantly over the next 25 minutes. I really needed to go now but the start time of 9:15 was getting real close! But there was so many people still queuing, they’re not panicking? Maybe the race starts late? I couldn’t give up my place at this stage, after all this time? A queue skipper uttered something about it only counting once we step over that mat - something that would matter a lot to me soon.

I got to the top of the queue at something like 9:14:40! Got in and out quick and took off towards start line unsure of what to expect. I saw a massive crowd, and a big red balloon - 4:00. No! My wave is gone! I ran towards 4hr pacer trying to quickly form a plan. I saw some others run around the side instead of towards the crowd and I followed them, I kept running, in front of the crowd making their way slowly up the road and I saw a start line in front of me. It was so surreal starting a race alone, only a few stragglers around me. But I was running, and had to come up with a plan. I knew I had to take the first 7 miles easy so I settled into a good pace but didn’t push. After a couple of miles I noticed my average was 5:30/km (a little slower than the 5:27/km the 3:50 pacer was doing, and a lot slower than the pace I had trained at during MP sessions 5:12/km). I had decided for the first time in a long time to stop being competitive with myself and enjoy it. Savour every moment. Do a good time, but be comfortable. The first 13 miles were beautiful. I was completely at ease physically and mentally. I high fived the kids, smiled at and thanked the crowds, encouraged those struggling. I made a point of acknowledging how good I felt as a sort of trick for my brain in case I ran into trouble.

For the second half of the race, there was slightly more pain. I felt a worrying pain over my knee, a little hip pain from an ongoing injury, and a bad stitch in the last couple of miles. But I hadn’t much trouble keeping the pace. I dropped back a little to 5:40 at times but once I saw the finish line I started to sprint. I finished in 3:54:23. I had something left in the tank to bring with me to the next one!

I felt like a superstar the whole race. The crowds restored faith in the world. I choked up a few times throughout and at the finish line at the sheer pride I felt in myself - something I don’t think I’ve truly ever felt before. I did it. I stuck to a plan, I got through bad days and victories, and I did it all alone. I nervously met my fellow novices in McGrattans and it was honestly like I already knew them. Doing this alone but having the support of the mentors and fellow novices never made it feel like I was alone.

Loved every minute.

Future Plans
    I’m registered for Waterford AC half, which I ran last year and loved! The hat has kept me warm on many a winter run. The plan after that is to cut back to shorter stuff for the start of the year and hit some pbs hopefully. And then onto DCM 19!

When Ariana asked me to help with the mentoring of the novices of 2018 this is one of the types of race report I wanted to see! Yes I wanted the epic fights against the odds, the battles, the pain....but I also wanted to read about happiness, about a job well done. Fantastic... Delighted you loved Dublin and its fantastic crowds!

DCM-Day

Loved every minute.

Future Plans

When Ariana asked me to help with the mentoring of the novices of 2018 this is one of the types of race report I wanted to see! Yes I wanted the epic fights against the odds, the battles, the pain....but I also wanted to read about happiness, about a job well done. Fantastic... Delighted you loved Dublin and its fantastic crowds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Fantastic race report. You are going to have great fun in the next 12 months on the back of this training. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

With the big exception of the marathon all your PB's are within 30 seconds of mine. I think the block of training you started in the spring really stood to you on Sunday, and helped give you an endurance that I just don't have, yet.

Well done again on a great race at the weekend, and it was nice to meet you afterwards. Looking forward to seeing what you do over the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Love the log title :)

Great race report, you had the dream debut, huge congrats on such a perfect race. That takes a lot of pressure off you for your next, allows you to be as aggressive as you want knowing you've got a good one in the bag.

Best of luck with the training, you've a great attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great to see you start up a log. Congratulations on a brilliant marathon debut!
    I felt like a superstar the whole race. The crowds restored faith in the world. I choked up a few times throughout and at the finish line at the sheer pride I felt in myself - something I don’t think I’ve truly ever felt before. I did it. I stuck to a plan, I got through bad days and victories, and I did it all alone.

I love this bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

You really thought on your feet when you had to and managed your race exceptionally well. Congratulations on a great debut.

Loved your report! As you said over on my log, we really did have weirdly similar experiences in parts! We must have been rushing to the start line practically beside each other I think - I finally made it to the top of the queue and in and out of the portaloo around that exact same time.
    You did amazingly well, no wonder you're proud - you should be! Congratulations :)
    I nervously met my fellow novices in McGrattans and it was honestly like I already knew them.
    I know right? Still the best part of the day for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done on your first marathon. You've made great progress since you started out running. Looking forward to following your log and seeing where post-DCM takes you.

Week: Monday 29th - Sunday 4th November.

The week following DCM so this will be dull apart from today’s race report.

Monday: Rest day with strolls around Dublin and good food.
    Tuesday: Rest day, on my feet lots in work, sore.
    Wednesday: Rest day with some light rolling with massage stick, Epsom salts bath.
    Thursday: Very sore. Exercise bike 20 mins very easy, some stretching.
    Friday: 5k easy, finally! Felt amazing to be back running, almost felt a new love and appreciation for it post-marathon. Legs felt great, had to pull back pace a little to try average 6 min/km.
    Saturday: Rest day, some light stretching.
    Sunday: Senior County Cross Country 4km (ish).
    First time trying cross country, and while it wasn’t the best timing, I had sat out a few before Dublin and the club needed a 4th team member. Goal was to get around it, I wasn’t worried about times or places. My legs were feeling so great in the morning, it made me suspicious but no need! I had no idea what to expect, I’m used to pacing and watch-checking.. and roads! Walked and then jogged the course for a warmup and plan. It was fairly flat mostly, apart from one slippery downhill and a steep short uphill. There was also a farmer’s field which was incredibly bumpy and anti-ankle, not to mention energy zapping!

Whistle blew and I took off around the middle of the 30ish-strong pack. I wasn’t sure how I’d settle as hadn’t raced short distance (i.e. below 13miles) in 3 months, but the pace felt natural enough. I did start too fast - I spotted 3.50/km on the watch. I was feeling great. OH shouted to hold that place. Smiled at club members cheering. Did the first of 3 laps, the short lap, and went into the first of the 2 big laps starting with the farmer’s field. We all settled into single file along the boundary line, where the ground was most worn, which allowed me to settle my breath as there was no danger of overtakers. One of the coaches shouted to “pop out” as I was getting near to the girl in front of me, so I popped out around her and back in front. Remembered one of the men’s advice to push on when you’ve overtaken someone so they don’t catch you again! Came out of the field into a steepish downhill towards the river and took a coach’s advice to keep a wide stance to avoid slipping. Shouted at her “it worked!”. Nice flat grassy section along river and around a hurling pitch, before a steep barky hill. Short fast steps up the hill, knowing I’m strong enough on the hills where others wouldn’t be, and a downhill awaits. Motioned at OH that I felt like throwing up at this stage. Tried to steady my breathing and dropped pace for second time going through farmers field. Last lap was slower again, couple of girls I had passed earlier who had smarter plans (more experienced I’m sure!) had saved themselves for this lap and flew past me. One last go at the hill, and onto the finish line. I knew I could pick someone off at the hill and I did. Flew towards finish and had started to ease off, when coaches started shouting to keep pushing to finish and look beside me! I was nearly caught but I pushed on. Finished with a few behind me in 16:48 mins for 2.1 miles - not a bad result for my first cross country a week after Dublin.

A really enjoyable challenge! Will definitely be giving it a go again as I think experience will help lots. I’ll go out more conservatively next time. For now - Everything hurts :) no injuries though. Couple more rest days before a new block of training.

Fair play to you. Sounds so different to road racing. Well done. What’s your next training plan going to be for?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Fair play to you. Sounds so different to road racing. Well done. What’s your next training plan going to be for?
    It was different alright! Great fun :)

Going to finish out the year with Waterford AC Half Marathon, a Christmas 1 mile race and a few cross country races and start the new year working on short stuff for awhile. I’ve signed up to DCM ‘19 so will be getting back into a marathon plan come the summer so will lap up the short stuff for the first half of the year. Probably won’t follow a strict plan, but try fit in an LSR, Tempo, track session and few easy runs each week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ha, found my most recent follower. Hi!

Congratulations on DCM, great going.

Cross country is savage.

I still can't believe you managed to do that, and do it as well as that, a week after the marathon!! :eek: Great going. It sounds like a great experience too, I'll have to give one a try sometime.
    You have exciting plans for the next few months! Looking forward to reading about them :)

Week: Monday 5th - Sunday 11th November.

That time of the week again!
    With DCM behind me, there's a few things that I wanted to improve upon that would have been too late to introduce into training so close to the marathon, that I can now get around to.
    Those things are; Flexibility, Strength & Conditioning, Form and Hill Work. (I'm guessing I'm in no way unique, runners are guilty of neglecting these).
    With that in mind..

Monday: Rest day following my first XC, badly needed. SORE. EVERYWHERE.
    Tuesday: 3k easy.
    Wednesday: Club session at the track - after a good warm up and obligatory DCM photo - 300m fast to get the legs moving, 1 mile tempo, 4 x 600m, and cool down.
    Paces - 1 mile was roughly at 4:31/km pace, very happy with that. Legs started to feel the races after that and averaged the same pace over the shorter 600m repeats. I was happy enough not to go too hard.
    Thursday: 8k easy - av. pace 5:50/km, admittedly faster than my usual easy pace which is around 6:00/km but legs were feeling fantastic after taking the 600's easy.
    Friday: The weather Friday was rotten! Had a long week and for the first time in a long time I was able to make the guilt-free decision to not run. Instead, myself and the OH did a Joe Wick's 8 minute abs, a couple of 30 second planks and some clam shells and let me tell you! I am still buckled over in pain (this is Sunday).
    Saturday: 'Out-out' for the first time in a long time, so no run. Had a few drinks and was in bed by midnight all the same :-P
    Sunday: First long run since DCM - GLORIOUS! Turned into a progression run by accident. Legs were feeling amazing, easy pace settled at 5:50/km again, so I'm going to wear the heart rate monitor for a few runs and figure out a definite easy pace to make sure I'm not being silly and over-training.
    Total Distance: 21km. 15k easy pace, 5k tempo (aimed to go faster than HM pace of 5:00/km, tough) and 1k cool-down.

Now for pizza and a small glass of wine.. hair of the dog and all that!

That's fairly intense stuff to be back doing so soon after DCM....it must be the young legs. :p

Week: Monday 12th - Sunday 18th November.

Two weeks out from Waterford AC Half Marathon so trying to get back into decent training while also minding the legs!

This week went by in a blur of thesis stress so it wasn’t the most consistent week, and I didn’t get a chance to wear the heart rate monitor to check easy paces.

Monday: Rest day.

Tuesday: 60 minutes easy with 4 x 200m hills in the middle.

This was a session from the club coach, meant to be 5 hills but struggled on the 4th so left it at 3 and a bit decent efforts!

Wednesday: Club track session - 300 - 600 - 3 x 800 - 600 - 300.

With warm up and cool down the total was around 8k. The others did a 4th 800m, again legs felt pretty exhausted so stood out for that one and felt great on the last 300 then.

Thursday: 5k recovery.

Pacing was not consistent - PEAK stress!! Averaged around 5:50/km as per last week, but too fast towards end.

Friday: 8k Tempo - at HM pace - 5min/km with a 4K warm up and 1k cool down.

Found it very tough.

Saturday: Rest day, on my feet in work.

Sunday: Long run - 20k with last 5k faster.

Aimed for a negative split, more like a progression run into the last 5k faster (5:05/km ish). Included a little skip around the park where I’ll be doing a XC race in a few weeks and ended up running pretty hard, that cursed mental imagery!!

Taking it handy now for a day or two and will play it by ear, legs are pretty tired. Will also be doing a mini taper next week.

Argh, sorry to hear about the stressful week! Hope it calms down for you soon.

Sounds like a busy week mentally and physically. Mind yourself. I’d say you can afford to give yourself a good bit of a rest before Waterford.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Sounds like a busy week mentally and physically. Mind yourself. I’d say you can afford to give yourself a good bit of a rest before Waterford.

Is that a polite way of saying that training is nuts off the back of a marathon!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Is that a polite way of saying that training is nuts off the back of a marathon!

Ha ha - I was trying to be polite but I’ve also learned the hard way about too much intensity. Only trying to look out for you Hobbyjogger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

skyblue46 wrote: »

I will be blunter then.

That is TOO much when just recovering from a marathon. You may be feeling ok but that is a lot when your body needs to recover.

Easily 3 sessions there last week. You also had the cross-country.

You will wear yourself out or fall out of love with running as you are pushing and aiming for the half when you should only be now gently easing back into sessions.

Advertisement